SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Delta Valley Modelers Jet Rally In The Valley # 5

Two days of perfect flying weather made this one very fun event before Sunday's wind sent everyone home.

Splash

Introduction

This event gave me a chance to videotape some nice fast jets. One of my tapes, my cell phone and all of my notes were lost on Saturday night or the Sunday of the event but I have pieced together some of the information and still had some nice videos to share. So for those of you that have checked in I hope you enjoy the pictures and video. That is really what this article is about. The event was a lot of fun with good people, nice planes, good food and even included a live band at the Saturday night dinner. I plan to fly at the event in November 2014 and be a bigger part of the fun.

On November 1-3 the fifth annual Delta Valley Modelers Jet Rally in the Valley was held at Kingdon Air Park. Friday and Saturday were perfect flying days with little to no wind and comfortable temperatures. There was a raffle on Saturday afternoon and a dinner Saturday night with live music. Unfortunately, the wind came up early Sunday and the Sunday's flying was cancelled and the pilots went home. There was too much dust in the air and no one wanted that going through their turbans. Some EDFs were flown on Friday and Saturday and their flights were enjoyed but it was the Turban powered planes that captured attention. This event was much smaller than the one at Button Willow two weeks earlier but those that attended had fun as there was little waiting to get in the air and several pilots went through a lot of fuel. This mini review will hopefully give you a feel for the event. Once again it proves that a smaller event attended by people looking to have fun can be enjoyed by all. I know that the spectators loved it!

A Labor Day Weekend Preview

This first video was actually from our Labor Day event and the video was used to promote the Jet Rall in the Valley that was the first weekend in November.

RC Jets at Kingdon Rally in The Valley (3 min 37 sec)

John Redman

John did a lot of flying! People were amazed by his very slow passes with the flaps down and thrilled with his high speed runs down the runway a few feet (or less) off of the deck. His flying provided a lot of pleasure. He got in the last flight on Friday, just as the sun was setting and it was perhaps his most impressive flight of the weekend. Those who had stayed for that last flight of the day went home with smiles on their faces thanks to John. Unfortunately, that flight was on my lost video tape and I don't have it to share. I have however pictures and video of another one of his flights during the weekend.

RC Jet Rally with John Redman Flying his Jet Cat powered plane. (6 min 19 sec)

Monty Welch's F-89 Powered with a Titan 160 JetCat

This F-89 looked very nice in the air although it did have a little trouble with its retracts on the flight I videotaped.

The RC F-89 at the 2013 Jet Rally (2 min 10 sec)

The Hibpshmans Share a Futura Jet with Buzz Lightyear as their Pilot

The Hibpshmans are a very nice couple and both are good pilots. He had a number of flights with their Futura jet. Below is a video of one of his flights.

Albert Hibpshman flies his RC Jet Futura (5 min 34 sec)

Jeanette Hibpshman was flying a Habu 2 electric ducted fan and some laps in the air with their Futura jet. Her first flight from takeoff to landing with the Futura was captured in the following video where John Redman served as her spotter. A very nice flight!

Jeanette Hibpshman flies the Futura RC Jet (6 min 51 sec)

Sabre Jet

I lost my notes on this one but a club member told me this plane belonged to Monty Welsh. If that is wrong I am sure I will be corrected. But regardless of who was flying this Sabre, I hope you enjoy this video.

RC Sabre Jet At 2013 Jet Rally in the Valley (1 min 50 sec)

Reported as a Scratch Built Plane

Reported a Home Built Plane Powered by JetCat @ 2014 Jet Rally in The Valley (1 min 21 sec)

Eight Jets in One Video

With my notes lost it made sense to me to just supply a nice long video for people to enjoy some of the flying from Saturday afternoon. This video contains eight jets flying one after another.

8 RC Jets Make Up this Video (15 min 50 sec)

Saturday Night Dinner

Saturday night there was a great dinner in a hangar at Kingdon. The dinner featured Tri-tip and chicken and both were delicious. Dinner was followed by live music. Here are some pictures from the dinner.

Sunday

After two days of terrific flying weather, Sunday was a bust! It was not only windy it was dirty dusty windy and no one would want to fly and ruin their turbine engines in those conditions. All the pilots packed up and went home early and the club took down the tables and shade. Spectators kept showing up despite the strong wind and were disappointed to learn there would be no jets flying that day.

Conclusion

Kingdon Air Park has a nice runway. The weather on Friday and Saturday was fantastic for flying and spectating. The pilots were warm and very willing to answer questions and share information. A very enjoyable bunch of people. The meals were great and all the people were friendly. I am looking forward to next year already. I hope you enjoyed this brief visit to The Jet Rally in the Valley #5.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Mar 02, 2014 at 12:05 PM..

Discussion

Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:53 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
I've been around model airplanes my whole life. John Redman's flight was the first time I was really uncomfortable while someone was flying. There was a low freq flutter for most of the flight - probably rudder because it was loudest when he did full throttle point rolls. He flew very close to the crowd at 200+ mph. He was listening to earbuds instead of his airplane and there was a dog running around his feet.

That's just too many dumb things in my book and I'm usually the last one to be bothered about stuff. I love fast airplanes, but this guy had no respect for the potential damage he could cause.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:35 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,636 Posts
Hi Steve, I've been a past participant here as you know that's where we last chatted in person (the 2010 Lodi rally). Was there an avenue to address this sort of thing - a flight line safety rep or traffic control guy? That's of course how we can normally run things up the flag pole during the issue and as it unfolds, before it get's any further along. Perhaps that's something that can be addressed before next year's rally, what do you think? Sometimes it's a pain to hear a complaint about a close pass but in my history when I've been on the hot dogging side of the issue, the person was normally just reminding us of the "reality" in spite of the fun and adrenalin that was flowing at the time. We all have to keep each other honest.

Hey are you doing some flying this spring and summer? I know there are a few of us up here in the Tahoe area that want to get out and about some more this season for some jet and EDF action, etc.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:11 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Hi Eddie,

There wasn't anyone around that I saw. I wasn't there very long though, so I don't know.

You know me, I love fast, but not while the plane is making that special sound that can result in a big mess! I don't like the idea of being a safety cop either, as I've been on the other end of it many times. Seems like I get told how to fly all the time and I don't think I do anything too dangerous.

Anyway....I just flew a glider contest in Davis and somehow I won. I have my Habu32 and a couple other jets on the building board that I'd like to be flying soon. I'd love to come fly up in Reno some time as well. I have a speed machine that I think would go faster up there. Why not, it works for full scale stuff right?

Take care,
Steve
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:12 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,636 Posts
I'd like to make it out to the Lodi event again for 2014. I have enjoyed the venue in the past for sure. I'll send you a PM but let's go fly before that though !! Bunch of EDF guys up here these days now, so you are more then welcome to head on up too. The local flyers up here are pretty electric jet savvy these days, it's neat to see.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Mar 09, 2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 03:50 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Sounds good.

That F-15 in the pics was EDF. It was a nice size, looked perfect and flew really well. All molded too.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 04:03 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,636 Posts
Also, Mike, great photos and nice write up. This is one of those "sleeper" jet events that is a lot of fun to attend but many have never heard of. Yet, at least! As we can see from the banquet photos it is a family club - The association with the local full size general aviation flying club brings a lot of cross over in terms of pilot background and several of the ladies in the club fly too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:41 PM
Newark, CA
Joined Apr 2004
77 Posts
Jet Rally

I wish the KingCat was mine, but it's not. I had the Tornado, co-owned with Donnie Otting and the Facet 2300 (yellow and blue) identified as a scratch built jet. All in all, a fun jet meet.

Regards, Wayne Cook
warbird51 is offline Find More Posts by warbird51
Old Mar 21, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2014
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I've been around model airplanes my whole life. John Redman's flight was the first time I was really uncomfortable while someone was flying. There was a low freq flutter for most of the flight - probably rudder because it was loudest when he did full throttle point rolls. He flew very close to the crowd at 200+ mph. He was listening to earbuds instead of his airplane and there was a dog running around his feet.

That's just too many dumb things in my book and I'm usually the last one to be bothered about stuff. I love fast airplanes, but this guy had no respect for the potential damage he could cause.

Steve C

Hi Steve.
I was not there but I have to commend you on standing up for the safety of others and our sport! Most people would not come forward and call someone out as you did, but it was obviously necessary . So I want to say Thank You!
Regards
Dave
ThunderPantz is offline Find More Posts by ThunderPantz