SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

TOOLBOX: Duratrax 19-in1 Tool Set

The tools you need to maintain and adjust Traxxas vehicles

Splash

Review of the Duratrax 19-in1 Tool Set with pouch for Traxxas vehicles

Convenience and usefulness are two of the clear deciding factors when selecting tools for your workbench or for when you are at the track or just out bashing. Duratrax offers the 19-in-1 Tool Set which was assembled as a tool kit specifically targeted to Traxxas vehicle owners and meets the aforementioned criteria. The tools come packed in a convenient black zippered pouch that holds each tool individually and it is quite small and lightweight, perfect to grab and take with you. With this one tool set, you have all the tools you would need to adjust and/or maintain a Traxxas vehicle or numerous other brands of vehicles. Inside you will find metric hex drivers, Phillips and blade screwdrivers, nut drivers, turnbuckle wrench, a ratchet handle and get this…it cost just under $20.00.

Duratrax 19-in1 Tool Set
CASE DIMENSIONS7.1x3.9x1.5 in. (181x100x39mm)
OVERALL WEIGHT11.7oz. (332g)
ITEM NO.DTXR0410
PRICE $19.99

KEY FEATURES

• Tool set offers 19 different tools
  • Ergonomic ratchet handle with quick and easy tool swapping function
  • Length of bits can be adjusted in ratchet handle
  • Zippered nylon carrying case holds tools securely and organized
  • Set includes hex drivers, blade and Phillips screwdrivers, nut drivers and a turnbuckle wrench

INCLUDED TOOLS IN TOOL SET

• (5) Nut Drivers: 4, 5, 5.5, 7, & 8mm
  • (6) Hex Drivers: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 & 4mm
  • (3) Phillips Screwdrivers: 0, 00 & 1
  • (3) Slotted Head Screwdrivers: 2, 3 & 4mm
  • (2) Turnbuckle Wrench: 5 & 8mm
  • (1) Ratchet Handle

TESTING

I used the Duratrax 19-in-1 Tool Set for working on my Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate short course truck and other non-Traxxas vehicles. I had a major teardown to do after some heavy muddy driving with my Slash and the majority of the testing was done on this truck. The teardown entailed the removal of the suspension components and pulling out the drivetrain to give the chassis a thorough cleaning.

I found the included ratchet handle to be a very nice and a well-thought-out addition to the tool set. Its size is a good compromise between being compact to fit in the small tool set and large enough to be comfortable to hold and to apply the necessary force to remove stubborn hardware. I like the textured rubber grip on the handle and the flared end where your thumb naturally rests. This provided a secure and comfortable grip even during long wrenching sessions. On the end of the ratchet handle is a smooth red plastic cap that sits nicely in the palm of your hand and is a welcome feature for when you need to exert extra force to remove or install a tough fastener. On the business end of the ratchet handle is a plastic dial for operating the ratchet mechanism. The dial allows you to select if you want the ratchet to turn only in the clockwise direction, only in the counter-clockwise direction or in the ‘off’ position so the ratchet handle operates like a standard driver. I have never used a ratchet-type tool for RC and found it to be quite useful. It removed screws faster since I did not have to change my grip on the handle, but rather just twisted my wrist back and forth. Located next to the dial for the ratchet is a metal collar which is the mechanism that allows you to insert the tool bits into the handle. Simple push the metal collar away from the handle, slide in the bit and then release the collar. When you want to remove the bit, just pull it out of the handle and you don’t need to touch the metal collar. A feature of this handle that I really like and one that came in handy multiple times during use is the fact that you can adjust the length of the bit in the handle. If you slide the bit all the way into the handle, it offers more control and the ability to apply more force when needed or you can extend the length of the bit for when you need to access hard to reach areas on a chassis. The metal collar mechanism does a great job of securely holding the bit at the desired length and will not slide into the handle. I did find that when using the hex bits and if the hex hardware has a tight fit, the bit can become stuck and will pull right out of the handle when you take the handle away.

The included metric hex bits covered all the hardware on my Traxxas Slash even the tiny grub screw for the pinion gear and the nut drivers took care of its intended hardware. I like that Duratrax clearly labeled the nut drivers and I wish they did the same with the hex bits. The size is stamped onto the shank of the bit, but it is difficult to see. Clearer bit identification will speed up wrenching time. I will color code the shanks of the hex drivers by using colored electrical tape and that will fix this issue. I also noticed that the tips of the hex drivers started to show early signs of wear. I did not have any round off, but $20 for the entire tool set, you can’t expect them to last as long as the hex drivers that cost $20 each.

Now, although there are not any Phillips style screws on my Ultimate Slash 4x4 or most Traxxas vehicles nowadays, I tried the Phillips bits on other models that did, like Tamiya, and found that the largest Phillips bit was a bit too small to handle the hardware. A #2 Phillips is that standard size for use on most vehicles and is missing from this tool set. Not a deal breaker, but keep this in mind if you do have a vehicle with a lot of Phillips screws.

Now this is definitely a subjective opinion, but after a long wrenching session, I got tired of constantly swapping out bits in the ratchet handle compared to having a full set of handled tools. What I had to consider is the big benefit of the ratchet handle that speeds up the process of working on a vehicle. Another thing to think about is that there are instances when you need to use a nut driver at the same time as a hex driver and with this tool set, you can’t because there is only one ratchet handle—I just need to get another ratchet handle. What you have to consider is that this tool set is about convenience and affordability and I feel it delivers.

The small compact size of the well-made nylon case is a nice feature since it includes nearly everything you would need for maintenance or for making adjustments to a chassis so it was super convenient for when I headed out to do some driving or vehicle testing. The zipper operated smoothly and there is a spot inside to hold each and every tool securely and in an organized fashion.

WRAP-UP

The Duratrax 19-in-1 Tool Set is the perfect tool set for someone who is just starting out in RC on a budget or for the person who wants the convenience of a compact and lightweight tool set that includes everything you need to work on Traxxas and other brand vehicles. It is a tool set that you can quickly grab and take with you for racing or bashing and the biggest benefit is that it is extremely affordable at around $20 and will get the job done in a pinch.

HITS

• Ratchet handle works great and makes for quick removal or insertion of hardware
  • Ratchet handle is very comfortable and fits nicely in your hand
  • Shanks are easy to adjust length in ratchet handle
  • Tool set will obviously work with other brands of vehicles besides Traxxas
  • Very affordable

MISSES

• Hex drivers are difficult to quickly identify
  • Hex tips exhibited premature signs of wear
  • Swapping out the drivers during a wrenching session becomes a hassle

Visit the site for more info on products from—DURATRAX!

Last edited by Paul Onorato; Nov 07, 2013 at 12:59 PM..

Discussion

Old Nov 07, 2013, 04:12 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,641 Posts
Good write up. Seems like a nice tool, but for me the durability of the hex tips would be a deal breaker here. I've experienced too much frustration due to worn hex drivers that stripped the screw's head, so I said to myself, never again. Rather pay a few dollars more for durable tips.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:46 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Does anyone know of a kit like this that contains SAE hardware instead of metric, or even better, both types. I'd like something like this for my planes, which mostly use SAE hardware.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:56 PM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Does anyone know of a kit like this that contains SAE hardware instead of metric, or even better, both types. I'd like something like this for my planes, which mostly use SAE hardware.
I did some hunting for you but could not find any.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Nov 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Onorato View Post
I did some hunting for you but could not find any.
Yes, I spent some time looking too with no luck. I'd like a small compact set like this to use with my electrics. A combo metric/SAE would be best.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I spent some time looking too with no luck. I'd like a small compact set like this to use with my electrics. A combo metric/SAE would be best.
Does it have to come with the ratchet handle?

Would something like this work? Duratrax 12-Tip Multi Driver
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:31 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Onorato View Post
Does it have to come with the ratchet handle?

Would something like this work? Duratrax 12-Tip Multi Driver

This is absolutely perfect. I'll have to track down a vendor. I think it is just what I need. Thanks.

Well these are available everywhere. I've ordered one. It will be perfect when I fly my electrics and don't want to bring along my tool box which is more nitro oriented and heavy. The combo of metric and SAE will be really helpful.
Last edited by u2builder; Nov 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
This is absolutely perfect. I'll have to track down a vendor. I think it is just what I need. Thanks.

Well these are available everywhere. I've ordered one. It will be perfect when I fly my electrics and don't want to bring along my tool box which is more nitro oriented and heavy. The combo of metric and SAE will be really helpful.
Great, glad you found something that meets you needs.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Hey Paul, the little tool that you suggested came today and I'd rate it as nicely designed and just perfect and it should be very handy to have. Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Hey Paul, the little tool that you suggested came today and I'd rate it as nicely designed and just perfect and it should be very handy to have. Thanks.
Awesome, glad to hear. I have one myself and it is a good back-up tool. Just be mindful not to over torque screws and keep an eye on the tips for wear. It is a very affordable tool, especially considering how much it does, but at that low price it won't also have the best durability.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:29 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Thanks Paul. Yes, I understand that. It will be very nice to have it with my electric models which typically aren't going to involve a high amount of torque or even use. I have ball drivers and allen wrenches in my workshop (and my glow tool box) for the heavy lifting.