HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:09 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,330 Posts
As a person who has replaced hundreds of much larger bearings on a variety of equipment over many years, I am a little bit apalled that they would use open bearings like that, I would hope that at least the mounting would cover that open part of the bearing. If not, one of the first things I would do is try to find a different bearing to use or at least put some type of cover over it. One tiny piece of grit, and that bearing will be ruined quickly.

And it once again proves something I have thought for a long time, designers/engineers/manufacturers/marketers don't put the best products they could into the marketplace, and the endusers are the ones who pay for it and have to correct the mistakes.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Last edited by siriusflier; Nov 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:25 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Bearings

Have some of these on the way. Will see how they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Sealed...item5aeb05c5fa

Stringfly <>++++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
As a person who has replaced hundreds of much larger bearings on a variety of equipment over many years, I am a little bit apalled that they would use open bearings like that, I would hope that at least the mounting would cover that open part of the bearing. If not, one of the first things I would do is try to find a different bearing to use or at least put some type of cover over it. One tiny piece of grit, and that bearing will be ruined quickly.

And it once again proves something I have thought for a long time, designers/engineers/manufacturers/marketers don't put the best products they could into the marketplace, and the endusers are the ones who pay for it and have to correct the mistakes.
You have to wonder if the quad engineering team have nothing to do with the RC car group. Certainly any engineer from the RC car group wouldn't even consider using a non-shielded bearing in an exposed application...........then again maybe they are the same team and they figured.......'hey it's not like this thing is going mudding, what the hell do we need shielded bearings for?'

Maybe I shouldn't be blaming engineers and blame the penny pinchers who were urged by the engineers to use a better bearings but shot them down saying it cut too much into profits.

I'm curious as heck to see if the unshielded bearings and 'vented' motors stay or if they get replaced with something better.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
342 Posts
I managed to smash both bearings in one of the arms of my Alias on its maiden outdoor flight. It was a one in a million type crash, but both bearings in one of the arms were destroyed. Traxxas support is sending me replacements ( love their support!). Anyway - based on a post earlier in this thread - I saw that V222 bearings were a match... I had an extra V222 arm and didn't want to wait a couple of days for the replacements to come. The V222 bearings were a direct (and extremely simple to install) plug-n-play replacement. It looks more like the sealed bearing in Stringflys pic. Again - the bearings fit perfectly.

Like I said, it was probably a one in a million hit - my smashing the bearings in the Alias. Anyway - if you lose a bearing, and have access to a V959 or V222 -- the size is right . .

Cheers

j
jdoo is online now Find More Posts by jdoo
Old Nov 26, 2013, 02:05 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoo View Post
I managed to smash both bearings in one of the arms of my Alias on its maiden outdoor flight. It was a one in a million type crash, but both bearings in one of the arms were destroyed. Traxxas support is sending me replacements ( love their support!). Anyway - based on a post earlier in this thread - I saw that V222 bearings were a match... I had an extra V222 arm and didn't want to wait a couple of days for the replacements to come. The V222 bearings were a direct (and extremely simple to install) plug-n-play replacement. It looks more like the sealed bearing in Stringflys pic. Again - the bearings fit perfectly.
I have both mQx bearings (BNF mQx) and V929 bearings (replacement V929 bearings from Banggood). Both are the same size and have the same dimensions as the Alias bearings. The V929 bearings look more or less closed, and the mQx bearings look pretty open (I can see the steel balls between the inner and outer rings).
So far, I have been flying with the mQx bearings. On one hard inverted crash (props first), one of the mQx bearings got bashed apart (the inner and outer rings separated and the little steel balls fell out). I replaced it with one of the V929 bearings (I bought them as spares for the mQx) and it has been flying fine.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Nov 26, 2013, 03:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Nov 2013
4 Posts
delete
eissuA is offline Find More Posts by eissuA
Last edited by eissuA; Nov 26, 2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Delete
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallone1801 View Post
The hardest part was finding 8 quarters.

I'll be curious to see if you're results are similar. The Mobius seems like a really good sub $100 camera, I'm glad that the Alias can carry it.
With all the money I have been spending on this stuff, I don't even have two nickels to rub together.

msantti is offline Find More Posts by msantti
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I like mine a lot. I need to figure out how to increase the "rudder" so it rotates faster. Its too slow for my liking. Especially since my QR1 is about 2x faster.

So is there a mod to install sticks instead of the thumb pads on the TX?
I prefer the QR1 TX sticks as well.
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 26, 2013, 07:48 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople View Post
I like mine a lot. I need to figure out how to increase the "rudder" so it rotates faster. Its too slow for my liking. Especially since my QR1 is about 2x faster.

There should have been sticks in your packaging to replace the thumb pads that came installed.
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: RC Logger Eye One Xtreme
Old Nov 26, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
342 Posts
Quote:

http://latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alias-Cu...e-Settings.pdf is on the More Tricks page: http://latrax.com/alias-moretricks.htm and talks about changing the default rates for the various modes..

j
jdoo is online now Find More Posts by jdoo
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Quote:

Check your rudder rate in customizing the flight mode settings. Set to 100% rate.

http://www.latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alia...e-Settings.pdf

Yep...thats the ticket.... LOL..

Stringfly <>++++
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:47 AM
arizona
Joined Sep 2010
694 Posts
The Traxxas trucks I own have rubber shielded bearings. I run them in a very dusty area and have never had a problem. Has anyone looked to see if the same bearings they use in the r/c vehicles can be used in the Latrax Alias. Or maybe a Traxxas rep can respond to this.
ryan93civic is online now Find More Posts by ryan93civic
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
The Traxxas trucks I own have rubber shielded bearings. I run them in a very dusty area and have never had a problem. Has anyone looked to see if the same bearings they use in the r/c vehicles can be used in the Latrax Alias. Or maybe a Traxxas rep can respond to this.
I think in this application metal sealed will be better the rubber sealed ones have a little more friction due to the rubber seal riding around the bearing shank
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2006
774 Posts
i have to ask, unless your burying this in the ground, why shielded brgs? Is there really that much dust around the air to corrupt the bearings?
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
I would avoid landing on dirt or dusty ground though. Surely you would throw some dirt up in them and the motors.

Stringfly <>++++
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Nov 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM.