SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2007
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by water.boy View Post
Contract, I think Ryan (great review BTW) and many others have echoed all the things that make the Alias the most attractive package out there. Once the motors are sorted out and assuming Traxxas follows through with the camera and hopefully other accessories, it will be hard to beat their offering at that price point. Having said that, I find the Ethos attractive for other reasons such as the existing modules which just add another dimension to flying as well as skill, and the simple construction and parts commonality with the v222 and like series. I think it speaks volumes of where Traxxas is heading when we're seeing what seems to be in house designs rather than re-branding. That could make or break them in the market if they drop the ball on QC and keeping the momentum with accessories. It's hard for me to recommend you jump on the Alias since you already have the sizes to cover the living room, gym, and park, but I don't see anything else on the radar at that price that would make me switch anytime soon. The Alias just has too many features and a slick design to back them up. Of course only time will tell if the design holds up but many have beaten them hard and aside from motors they're taking it fine. I also had my wife tell me when she discovered my Alias that I probably have enough quads for a while. I sure hope nobody comes out with any really compelling ones for a while, unless I can swap bodies to disguise it
Cool so it sounds like the right thing to do is wait until Traxxas fixes the motor issue and then purchase one after that. Any idea on when that's gonna happen?
contract is offline Find More Posts by contract
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:13 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by water.boy View Post
Contract, I think Ryan (great review BTW) and many others have echoed all the things that make the Alias the most attractive package out there. Once the motors are sorted out and assuming Traxxas follows through with the camera and hopefully other accessories, it will be hard to beat their offering at that price point. Having said that, I find the Ethos attractive for other reasons such as the existing modules which just add another dimension to flying as well as skill, and the simple construction and parts commonality with the v222 and like series. I think it speaks volumes of where Traxxas is heading when we're seeing what seems to be in house designs rather than re-branding. That could make or break them in the market if they drop the ball on QC and keeping the momentum with accessories. It's hard for me to recommend you jump on the Alias since you already have the sizes to cover the living room, gym, and park, but I don't see anything else on the radar at that price that would make me switch anytime soon. The Alias just has too many features and a slick design to back them up. Of course only time will tell if the design holds up but many have beaten them hard and aside from motors they're taking it fine. I also had my wife tell me when she discovered my Alias that I probably have enough quads for a while. I sure hope nobody comes out with any really compelling ones for a while, unless I can swap bodies to disguise it
You can bet somethings in the works! They have a "in house" design that performs with the best of them,aside of the motor problems,and I'm sure that will be addressed,if it hasen't already. I can see them coming out with a brushless model soon! When they do(if it is anything like the Alias),I'll be on it like a duck on a junebug! I just purchased a Alias,knowing about the motor failures. Traxxas has too much invested in this quad to back up at this point. The motor problem will go away,or the Alias will go away,it's that simple! With the performance,and features, the Alias has,the motors are really a moot point for most,there's always a way around that problem,and if your reading this thread,you might have seen the solution found already. Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
You can bet somethings in the works! They have a "in house" design that performs with the best of them,aside of the motor problems,and I'm sure that will be addressed,if it hasen't already. I can see them coming out with a brushless model soon! When they do(if it is anything like the Alias),I'll be on it like a duck on a junebug! I just purchased a Alias,knowing about the motor failures. Traxxas has too much invested in this quad to back up at this point. The motor problem will go away,or the Alias will go away,it's that simple! With the performance,and features, the Alias has,the motors are really a moot point for most,there's always a way around that problem,and if your reading this thread,you might have seen the solution found already. Ron
That's a positive attitude, and leap of faith. What is the way around the problem mentioned earlier in this thread? Buying replacement motors from another vendor, soldering them in place, and hope they work? I don't believe there are accurate numbers from Traxxas about the number of Alias users who have been having problems with motors. I haven't read anything from Traxxas acknowledging the problems publically, though several people have posted that they have receieved private messages from Traxxas that they are aware of the issue. So at least in private, they have agreed there are issues with the Alias motors. I wouldn't try and paint the picture, that there are very few folks impacted by lousy Traxxas motors. There are at least three moderators on the Traxxas forums who have acknowledged that they have personally had motor issues.
/dt
DeadTrout is offline Find More Posts by DeadTrout
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:36 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
United States, MI, Leonard
Joined Feb 2012
1,015 Posts
Seriously? I have more quads than I care to admit. I keep a supply of motors (and other parts) for each of them on hand. If there were no reason to keep this stuff on hand, I'd spend it elsewhere. Guess what?
Ssayer is offline Find More Posts by Ssayer
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:23 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTrout View Post
That's a positive attitude, and leap of faith. What is the way around the problem mentioned earlier in this thread? Buying replacement motors from another vendor, soldering them in place, and hope they work? I don't believe there are accurate numbers from Traxxas about the number of Alias users who have been having problems with motors. I haven't read anything from Traxxas acknowledging the problems publically, though several people have posted that they have receieved private messages from Traxxas that they are aware of the issue. So at least in private, they have agreed there are issues with the Alias motors. I wouldn't try and paint the picture, that there are very few folks impacted by lousy Traxxas motors. There are at least three moderators on the Traxxas forums who have acknowledged that they have personally had motor issues.
/dt
I've been flying RC for over 39years! I'm old school,and it just amazes me how easy it is to get into RC now days! Amost everything comes pre-built or ready to fly! I remember spending many long nights during the winters,building planes for a set of blue prints,and a box of balsa! LOL! So fixing the motor issue,is a small problem to me! If I end up having to buy some motors elsewhere,and solder a couple of leads on them to get them to last,that's not much of a big deal.From what I have seen watching the video's of the Alias,shows me it will be worth the effort,to correct the motor issue,and end up with a great flying little quad! The parts are reasonably priced (aside of the motors),and I'm sure the stock will be caught up to where they will be easily available. Like I mentioned above,Traxxas has a lot riding on this quad. I can't see them backing up at this point. Ron
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ron_Dog; Jan 23, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:12 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
I've been flying RC for over 39years! I'm old school,and it just amazes me how easy it is to get into RC now days! Amost everything comes pre-built or ready to fly! I remember spending many long nights during the winters,building planes for a set of blue prints,and a box of balsa! LOL! So fixing the motor issue,is a small problem to me! If I end up having to buy some motors elsewhere,and solder a couple of leads on them to get them to last,that's not much of a big deal.From what I have seen watching the video's of the Alias,shows me it will be worth the effort,to correct the motor issue,and end up with a great flying little quad! The parts are reasonably priced (aside of the motors),and I'm sure the stock will be caught up to where they will be easily available. Like I mentioned above,Traxxas has a lot riding on this quad. I can't see them backing up at this point. Ron
That's some garbage. Not everyone has been flying 39 years and knows how or even wants to build (or rebuild in this case) a product they expect to work for a decent amount of time. I don't expect to HAVE TO buy $40 worth of motors for $150 product that I've had for less than 2 months with less than 20 flights on. People keep writing it off as the cost of being in the hobby. That is bull too.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:33 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
More Alias V959 madness

So I finally got more Alias parts, one vendor who took my money last week did not have parts, so I got a refund and went to some people who have parts..lol..
Anyway, we have seen the post where 959 motors are being tried and (I think) bearings..
I just tried the 959 bearings with the Alias main Shaft and it is a wobbly fit, but I guess it could work..
Then i tried the Alias gear on the 959 Shaft and it is a perfect press on fit, seems very tight also, but inserted in the bearings it is also wobbly, so if I could mount the top bearing Higher on the shaft, or closer to the propeller it should be very cool..
This all started with me because I saw the Alias frame and was freaked out by seeing the V959 crash at times, so the goal was to take my 959 bearings, shafts, the Gws props, 959 motors, and the Alias gears and frame and make my own lights and things, just having some fun
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Last edited by Machy2k; Jan 23, 2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:49 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
...Anyway, we have seen the post where 959 motors are being tried and (I think) bearings..
I just tried the 959 bearings with the Alias main Shaft and it is a wobbly fit, but I guess it could work..
Then i tried the Alias gear on the 959 Shaft and it is a perfect press on fit, seems very tight also, but inserted in the bearings it is also wobbly, so if I could mount the top bearing Higher on the shaft, or closer to the propeller it should be very cool..
This all started with me because I saw the Alias frame and was freaked out by seeing the V959 crash at times, so the goal was to take my 959 bearings, shafts, the Gws props, 959 motors, and the Alias gears and frame and make my own lights and things, just having some fun
One thing to be careful about with the V959/V2x2 : there is a recent thread mentioning that the new instances of these are using a thicker (4mm) prop shaft than they used to (3mm).

In other attempts with bearings: I have some v929 bearings (3mm) on my Alias and they fit the Alias shaft fine (when the frame and shaft orientations match the stock orientation) and I believe that EArHog earlier put in a V212 bearing without much issue.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Jan 23, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:59 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTrout View Post
I don't believe there are accurate numbers from Traxxas about the number of Alias users who have been having problems with motors. I haven't read anything from Traxxas acknowledging the problems publically,
This kind of situation is not new:
About 2 years ago, there was a similar incident with the mQx, a similar sized quad using similar 8.5mm coreless motors from HH/Blade, another large vendor. For a while, the mQx early dying motor problem was a dominant topic on the huge mQx thread in this forum. HH/Blade never gave accurate numbers or publicly acknowledged the problem. This was when alternative 8.5mm motor vendors were not well known (mQx being the first large production quad of this size). The problem did eventually "disappear" (new posts of early dying motors more or less stopped) without a word from Blade.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:00 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
One thing to be careful about with the V959/V2x2 : there is a recent thread mentioning that the new instances of these are using a thicker (4mm) prop shaft than they used to (3mm).

In other attempts with bearings: I have some v929 bearings (3mm) on my Alias and they fit fine and I believe that EArHog earlier put in a V212 bearing without much issue.
Hi flying-llama; I know I am just trying what I have or can get that can be plug and play, I do not have time to fabricate anything now (kind of) lol...
I have almost all the Alias parts where if i use the 959 motors only I can get away with that..
Now I just measured my shafts and the 959 is 2.99mm the Alias is 2.97 so there is a slight diff..
Now I want to use the 959 shafts so I can use the GWS 5443 props, and I have not even looked at that yet and I believe i read somewhere that the Gws props do not work for the Alias, but don't quote me babeee!
Petey...
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:53 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
That's some garbage. Not everyone has been flying 39 years and knows how or even wants to build (or rebuild in this case) a product they expect to work for a decent amount of time. I don't expect to HAVE TO buy $40 worth of motors for $150 product that I've had for less than 2 months with less than 20 flights on. People keep writing it off as the cost of being in the hobby. That is bull too.
Really? So your a 100% buy it,and fly it guy?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:57 PM
United States, MA, Taunton
Joined Jul 2013
331 Posts
I have to admit, that my favorite part is the flying. But I love the researching, discussing and tinkering almost as much! Its like the the "hobby" part supports the flying.
jk6stringer is offline Find More Posts by jk6stringer
Old Jan 24, 2014, 01:33 AM
United States, FL, Pinellas Park
Joined Dec 2013
89 Posts
@spooner,, ok thats it,,thanks dude! it was the word "quick" in your description of the button press! ok guys heres the deal on the accelerometer reset for those that cant get it to work.(charlie let me know if this works for you) ok when your at the part where it says reset in the lower right corner,,and its time to press the righthand side shoulder button,,you have to give it like a quick hafe second press and release , allmost like a flick,,if you hold it for even like a full second, you wont get the 00,,,but with a fast press & release i got the 00 every time! then i just kept shutting off the trans. and repeating till i got it down pat.(dont forget to make sure the quad is level when you do it!) @ spooner ;-) ;-) ;-) flying perfectly level now!
rally jim is offline Find More Posts by rally jim
Old Jan 24, 2014, 01:40 AM
United States, FL, Pinellas Park
Joined Dec 2013
89 Posts
ps. dont know if it makes a difference,,but make sure all your trims are at 0,,(neutral) because even if you do a transmiter reset,,it wont zero your trims.
rally jim is offline Find More Posts by rally jim
Old Jan 24, 2014, 02:28 AM
Joined Aug 2013
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rally jim View Post
@spooner,, ok thats it,,thanks dude! it was the word "quick" in your description of the button press! ok guys heres the deal on the accelerometer reset for those that cant get it to work.(charlie let me know if this works for you) ok when your at the part where it says reset in the lower right corner,,and its time to press the righthand side shoulder button,,you have to give it like a quick hafe second press and release , allmost like a flick,,if you hold it for even like a full second, you wont get the 00,,,but with a fast press & release i got the 00 every time! then i just kept shutting off the trans. and repeating till i got it down pat.(dont forget to make sure the quad is level when you do it!) @ spooner ;-) ;-) ;-) flying perfectly level now!
that is great news Jim and glad to hear yours is reset and flying nicely now . did you have to arm it first like I did, or did it work without arming? either way... it worked and you are back in business .
spoonerrw is offline Find More Posts by spoonerrw