SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

RC Logger - On Screen Display Modules

If you are looking for an on screen display system (OSD) that you can add on to and manipulate via your computer then check out the system from RC Logger.

Splash

Introduction

RC Logger - On Screen Display Modules (7 min 56 sec)

Here are the OSD options for the Power and RPM module.
Here are the OSD options for the Power and RPM module.
Module OSD
Module GPS
ModuleEnvironmental
ModulePower and RPM
ModuleOrientation and G-Force
Manufacturer: RC Logger
Available From: RCLogger.com

The OSD system by RC Logger allows you to really customize your on on screen display. Each OSD module does a different job and you can mix and match them to create a very specific OSD system for your application. When you couple this with the available software from RC Logger you have a very robust OSD system for almost any RC application. In this review we will go over all the components of the RC Logger OSD system, how they work together and ultimately put them in an RC plane and try it all out.

An FPV Newbie and OSD

For an entry level RC pilot that wants to fly FPV an on screen display is probably on the top 5 lists of things to have. This can also be a deep topic to wrap your head around. Why do I need an OSD? Which modules do you need? How do they connect to each other? How can I control all of this? These are the questions I asked myself.

I suggest the first thing you do is watch my video. It has all the modules laid out and connected to the battery, tx and camera. Once you see everything working you can then figure out how you want to mount it to your quad, heli, etc. The real need for OSD is to have input coming to you from your RC craft so you know how much battery you have, how to get back home, how far out you are and other important factors that could make or break a successful flight.

OSD Module

When used with sensor modules the RC Logger OSD allows real-time overlay of telemetry sensor data onto a video signal for instant transmission on your screen or goggles. There is a lot of flexibility that allows you to customize your preferred layout via RC Logger Viewer Software or RC Logger Commander Software.

Customization - The OSD module offers you the freedom to create your preferred overlay layout via the RC Logger Viewer Software. Just drag-and-drop your selected overlay elements onto the simulated screen to the desired position during configuration and you will have your customized OSD layout for FPV.

Selectable overlay style (text or graphics in 10 colors) - In addition to selectable overlay position, the OSD modules also provides 10 preset colors to choose from. You can save different configurations for future use. You could have one layout for your fixed wing craft, one for you heli and one for you FPV truck. It is an amazingly flexible unit!

Home Location Indication - To help guide your RC model your home location can be set with your OSD module before flight (the FN button on the side). This also shows the angle and distance of your model to the home location.

Extra Connectivity for Flexible Expansion - You can connect the OSD module to the RC Logger PRO camera logger. You can also connect it to other devices that provide NTSC / PAL AV output. The OSD module can work with both 5.8 GHz Video transmission and the 2.4 GHz Data transmission simultaneously, meaning that you can fly FPV as well as using an additional monitor for observing telemetry data of the connected sensor modules and buzzer alerts in real-time.

GPS Module

This GPS module provides accurate GPS positioning information for your RC model. The collected data will be stored onto the SD card of the RC Logger. GPS positioning information can be viewed and analyzed by the RC Logger Viewer Software. The collected GPS data allow you to view the flight path in a 3D perspective as well as in FPV. Raw data can be exported by the PC software and further analyzed using software such as Microsoft Excel or similar applications. A status LED will indicate the signal quality during GPS data reception.

Environmental Module

This module has three external temperature sensors that can be used at the same time. You can use this to check temps on an ESC, motor, muffler or battery. Temperature and humidity sensors are installed inside the module box to measure the environmental temperature and humidity as reference point. The is also a pressure sensor installed inside the module box to measure the air pressure of the model during flight in order to indicate the exact flight altitude of the R/C helicopter or R/C airplane. The temperature sensor supports a temperature range of up to +250 degrees Celsius.

Power and RPM Module

This module allows you to determine the total current drawn from the ESC/BEC as well as the voltage provided from the main battery. The module will also allow you to check individual LiPo cell voltages. The collected data can be viewed and analyzed with the RC Logger Viewer or RC Logger Commander Software. Exported data can also be analyzed by Microsoft Excel or similar applications. All collected module data is synchronized with the video or photo material captured by the RC Logger (HD version only). The included buzzer will alert the user if any of the cells appear to be faulty or low capacity.

Orientation and G-Force Module

This module utilizes a magnetometer, gyroscope and accelerometer with 3D orientation and a calculation algorithm to determine pitch angle, yaw angle, roll angle, direction, acceleration, and angular velocity during flight. With the recorded orientation information a realistic flight path can be simulated with the use of RC Logger Viewer or RC Logger Commander Software.

MEMS Sensor technology - This module takes advantage of the advanced MEMS (Micro Electro-Mechanical System) sensor technology. This module provides a motion sensor for your RC application.

3-axis Magnetometer - A three axis magnetometer is used in the Orientation & G-Force module to come up with a 9 DoF Inertial measurement unit (IMU). The calculation algorithm is adopted with modified Kalman Filter to handle the high level of noise generated in the RC helicopter environment, such as vibration, magnetic field of the motor, and the effect of gravity with continuous orientation change. A more accurate output is generated by the sensor data collected over time, providing a better orientation and motion information.

3-axis Accelerometer - The 3-axis Accelerometer is used to measure the acceleration and orientation of the RC model. Acceleration signals can be integrated into velocity and displacement information as an inertial measurement. It can also detect motion, vibration and shock, as well as measure gravity to determine orientation of the object such as tilt and inclination.

3-axis Gyroscope - The 3-axis Gyroscope is used to measure the angular velocity of the RC model. When the RC model rotates along an axis (e.g. roll, pitch, or yaw), rate of rotation can be determined by the gyroscope. The gyro electronics can resolve very small capacitance change, resulting in a very high sensitivity.

Future Compatibliity -

The idea behind the RC Logger OSD module system is to create units for future compatibility. Current and future modules will be able to be used with the RC Logger Viewer computer software. The RC Logger software allows you to view a 3D flight path based on precisely recorded GPS data. It also allows you to view module sensor data, cutting and trimming the recorded video or save single video frames as .jpg file.

RC Logger commander Software

I used the RC Logger Commander to change the color of my OSD, rearrange what OSD info I had and it was cool to see the info gathered after a flight.

Here are some of the features:

• The RC Logger Commander shows your logged data with the new graphical user interface.
  • There is also graphical real time on screen display for flight video and telemetry data.
  • The RC Logger Commander can simulate a 3D flight path on Google Earth 3D Map and flight orientation with 3D model object. A data analysis tool is also included.
  • You can generate data tables and graph plotting.
  • The RC Logger Commander allows you to manage and modify your OSD adjustments according to your preferences and needs.

RC Logger Commander MAC Beta 7 - (1307) (1 min 47 sec)

Note - Success is in the start up.

The first time I got to the field I had everything ready to go. I had an issue with one of the modules not wanting to work. I tried to change how the modules were connected, I moved things around and then it hit me - it must be the start up sequence. That was the issue.

Here is my sequence:

• 1. Plug in the battery (make sure the Power Management module is plugged into the ESC before you plug the battery in).
  • 2. Turn on the the OSD unit. The power LED will blink slowly and the STATUS LED will stay on, this indicates the OSD module is initializing.

If everything runs correctly, the POWER LED will stay on and the STATUS LED will blink slowly (i.e. the OSD module is in normal operation mode).

NOTE - Do not turn off or unplug the receiver trigger cable when the OSD module is initializing.

• 3. Hold the FN button to set home. (The red LED will blink twice)
  • 4. Turn on your camera.
  • 5 Turn on the transmitter.

Conclusion

The RC Logger OSD system does just about everything you might need. The real trick is figuring out what suits your application best. Going from a screen or goggles with just a live video feed to having OSD is a big jump. A good OSD system can help you fly farther and feel more comfortable since you can find your way home and know exactly what your battery levels are. The next advantage is being able to track and record your flight info and path with the RC Logger system. Start simple and build on as you feel comfortable.

The RC Logger system is very straight forward. This is an easy way to get started with FPV and OSD and allows expansion in the future.

VIsit the RC Logger site to learn more.

Discussion

Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:25 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,148 Posts
Hi,
I am a newbie on FPV. I recently purchased a Fatshark teleporter 3 and had 2 flies.
The screen on google now is just a screen. I have to guess alot of time.
I like to have orientation on my google screen so I can tell my plane turn left, right, go up, go down.
How does this module fit with Fatshark?
Thanks
Jason
whatala is offline Find More Posts by whatala
Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,360 Posts
The issue here is connecting the RC Logger system to your camera and tx. I have asked Adam from RC Logger to respond.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Nov 08, 2013, 01:52 PM
R/C, FPV, UAVs
Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
112 Posts
Cool system, but not very cheap.
I figure $ 400 for the modules, not counting down-link radios, or cameras, or any extra cables.
Sgt_Ric is offline Find More Posts by Sgt_Ric
Old Nov 08, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Sep 2013
842 Posts
Is it me or are the modules huge?
akfreak is offline Find More Posts by akfreak
Old Nov 09, 2013, 10:07 AM
WWW.RCLOGGER.COM
Joined Mar 2012
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatala View Post
Hi,
I am a newbie on FPV. I recently purchased a Fatshark teleporter 3 and had 2 flies.
The screen on google now is just a screen. I have to guess alot of time.
I like to have orientation on my google screen so I can tell my plane turn left, right, go up, go down.
How does this module fit with Fatshark?
Thanks
Jason
Hi there,

The OSD just acts as an overlay. It is designed to work with the RC Logger 5.8 video transmission set. The transmitter uses the following frequencies.
Frequency(GHz) Channel No Coding Rule
5.733 CH1 1--2--3--4
5.752 CH2 1--2--4
5.771 CH3 1--3--4
5.791 CH4 1--4
5.811 CH5 2--3--4
5.829 CH6 2--4
5.848 CH7 3--4
5.867 CH8 4

If your fat shark goggles channels match up then this should work fine. In order to see horizon indication you will need the OSD, and the IMU module.
http://www.rclogger.com/Products/Pro...ce-Module.html

Regards,

Adam
Adam.RCLogger is offline Find More Posts by Adam.RCLogger
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2013, 12:37 PM
Crashing at 8600ft
United States, CO, Conifer
Joined Sep 2009
268 Posts
The OSD weighs 30 grams, the GPS weighs 22 grams, the power module weighs 70 grams, the environmental unit weighs 13 grams, the orientation/g-force module weighs 12 grams. The total weigh for all of the modules is 147 grams or 5.2 ounces. FPV is a HEAVY hobby! LOL!
balthazar420 is offline Find More Posts by balthazar420
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:27 AM
Joined Sep 2013
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar420 View Post
The OSD weighs 30 grams, the GPS weighs 22 grams, the power module weighs 70 grams, the environmental unit weighs 13 grams, the orientation/g-force module weighs 12 grams. The total weigh for all of the modules is 147 grams or 5.2 ounces. FPV is a HEAVY hobby! LOL!
I guess, it sees there are smaller alternatives. Weight is one thing, physical size us another.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
I guess, it sees there are smaller alternatives. Weight is one thing, physical size us another.
+1. Real estate is hard to come by on a quad or tri for all that equipment... even with an H Frame.

Hauling weight is one thing multi rotors do very well- having room for equipment is a department in which many multi rotors fall short.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Sep 2013
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
+1. Real estate is hard to come by on a quad or tri for all that equipment... even with an H Frame.

Hauling weight is one thing multi rotors do very well- having room for equipment is a department in which many multi rotors fall short.
Yep, whenever I look for gear, I almost always consider the footprint, because I fly mostly multirotors