SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2004, 08:33 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
Info on Dymond Blade slope wing

Hello,

I have been reading this message board for quite a while as it is an excellent source for all kinds of information. I never had a need to post on this board as just about all of my questions had been asked a million times before.

The reason for this post is that I finally got a question that I could not find an answer anywhere...

I just got myself a new sloper... "The Blade" from Dymond. I was wondering if there are anyone out there who has experience with this plane.

The instruction that came with the plane is all in German so I had to use my best guesses for the most part.

If anyone has had one of these before, I would certainly appreciate some information/tips on how the plane handles, is it a fast plane or a floater, what type of wind conditions are necessary, quirks that it has, tips on building it etc...

My best description is that this is a 2M obichi covered foam wing with a short fiberglass fuse and a large vertical stab. There are no sweeps and hardly any dihedral. I calculated the wing loading to be around 8 oz or so.

I am a bit nervous about this plane as it really looks like a DS ship... which I have had zero experiences with. Plus, this would be the largest plane I would fly to date. I had always flown electric powered planes (GWS warbirds) until about a month ago when I started sloping with a flipper (which was easy enough). I am ready to lauch it but am quite nervous about tossing something so nice and shiny and big and heavy out onto the slope.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
pchen911 is offline Find More Posts by pchen911
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2004, 08:48 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the plane?

Would love to see them.
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old Feb 23, 2004, 09:35 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
Of course!

Here is a picture... Will post another one of the side to show airfoil.

(not sure if this will work.... first attempt)
Old Feb 23, 2004, 09:36 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
Wow, that did work!!

Here is another one then!!
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:57 PM
San Diego
Joined Sep 2001
413 Posts
I think the wing is upside down

I dunno

Johnny.........
Lil' Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Lil' Johnny
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:17 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
The wing is not upside down.

Check this out Johnny....play with the slider bar with a visual of the airfoil above.

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/shape.html
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:21 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
Hey, that is a pretty cool website. Although it doesn't explain the little flair up on the TE of my wing. By the way, does anyone know what the flair on the trailing edge is supposed to do to the wing? My guess is that it would behave a bit like alittle up elevator.

Johnny...

Scared me for a brief second there ... I am pretty sure the wing is on correctly though.

I guess one way or another, information or not, I will be flying this bird today during my "two hour" lunch break. hope the wind is right in San Diego.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 01:05 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Where you gonna fly it? North County coastal? Let me know, I work up there and might check it out....
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Feb 24, 2004, 01:12 PM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Just curious.... how much did it cost? and was there a manufacturer listed in the German instructions?

Steve
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Feb 24, 2004, 02:22 PM
I slope - therefore I am
Wilen, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2003
540 Posts
where from ?

Looks quite cool to me - where'd you get that from ?
German instructions would point to somewhere over here in Europe, have however never heard of it. Any adresses, websites in the manuals ?

Sam
a944734 is offline Find More Posts by a944734
Old Feb 24, 2004, 02:35 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,765 Posts
The little flair up is required to stabilize the flying wing; if you do a search, there was a thread on "flying wing airfoils" a while back.

Planes without stabilizers need this to fly correctly.

Why dont you ask the owner at Dymond to translate the instructions for you?
Be very accurate with the CG, it is EXTREMELY CRITICAL on "plank wings".
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 24, 2004, 02:46 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
I usually fly at a pretty gentle slope at Tierrasanta... You can see the place right off of highway 52 past Santos road. It's not terribly good as I am sure there are tons of better places around SD that are better.

Haven't really tried anywhere else except here and blossom valley but definitely intend to.... On a good day with WNW winds, the place can float a stock sky scooter.

The plane costs $120 and comes with the wings already hinged and covered. All I needed to do was to join the root, mount the fuse, and drop in the gears... Took me only one evening to finish.

I got it at Dymond Modelsports on Convoy. (The box implied that the manufacturer is also Dymond.... as do the decals))

You can see the plane on their site under the Hotliner and Pylon section:

Dymond's Hotliner page

Unfortunatelly, there are no description of the plane at all except for the little blurb and the pic.

Best I can say is that it is 2 meters wide, the weight on the german instruction says that it is 1000 grams, surface area is around 5.3 sq ft... I had to add about 5 oz of lead to get it to balance.

Website description says its fast, but Helmut at Dymond says that it is a slow flyer..... so I am kinda confused.

Well, I plan to chuck it out there in about an hour or so. I will let you know how it flies!!
Old Feb 24, 2004, 02:51 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
Thanks, Target, on the airfoil and CG info.

I will error on the side of the conservative and set the CG on the forward limit for the first toss!
Old Feb 24, 2004, 03:59 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,765 Posts
I have a similar, plans built plank wing. It flew very smoothly. I'll try to post pics tonight, if I can figure the software out on the new digi camera.

Good luck!!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 24, 2004, 06:22 PM
San Diego
Joined Feb 2004
43 Posts
well, I did it..... tossed it out there knowing that conditions were less than ideal.

Winds were 8 mph out of the SW on a west facing slope. Wind speed varied from 3 to 12 at various intervals.

I got the plane ready and was just feeling the wind.... before I knew it, I tossed the plane. Luckily everything went fine and the plane flew gracefully in the light winds. At one point, an eagle swooped down on the plane and was about to claw it but pulled up maybe a foot away from the plane, circled it, and left. I have to say, this is a very graceful flier... for the most part. In the light winds, I could almost feel the weight of the plane flying it.

One quirk I noticed is that it has a tendency to pick up its nose when I get some speed and a tendency to drop the nose when the speed is low... Much more so than any of the other planes that I flew. Is this an issue with my settings?

Other than that, I have to say that this is a very nice plane for the money. Although I do have to test it out in better conditions to really wring it out.

I finally decided to land after about 10 minutes of flying as the winds seems to not want to cooperate. I was more than half way down the hill and thought that I might be in for a long hike but was finally able to manage the plane back up to altitude.

On landing, the sound of the hollow fiberglass tube fuse scraping against branches and rocks while skidding to a halt really made me cringe even though there were no damages.
Hard to imagine it being able to stand up to many of these landings...

Anyways, I am just happy that the plane survived this maiden and am sure I will need to play with it alot more to figure it out all the little details with it. Thanks for all the help to this point and if there are anyone out there with more info on this plane, I'd really appreciate it.