HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by rcalldaylong, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 10:04 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Discussion
70" $10 free flight tow glider

My flying buddy and I tried towing a couple weeks ago and our maiden flight ended in disastrous results. I was at the control of the powered plane and he used his nice wood glider.

On take off the glider shot up wayyyy high and with our line a bit too short, I panicked and gassed it and our tow line let go. He didn't have enough speed nor height and his glider went straight into the ground. Took out all his servos. Anyhow the result was buying a $10 free flight glider and adding rc gear (pure glider, no motor/no ESC) to learn towing.

With a 450mah 2s, 2x HXT500 servo, 1x HXT900, spektrum rx, 3amp UBEC, AUW came out to 305 grams. Over the weekend, we did half a dozen or so flights, and to my surprise this $10 free flight glider flew exceptionally well and since it was so light, it sniffed out even the lightest thermal there was. Needless to say, I'm Hooked!

and yes. I sacrificed my multiplex fox's wings.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:17 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
599 Posts
Sweet! I cant wait to fly it! I was checking out the videos from our first flights and the glider was off the ground in 2 ft and our tow plane took another 20 ft! With the additional wing, it will float like its filled with helium! woohoo!

I'll try to upload some vids as soon as I can.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:22 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
here's the vid of today's flights

70" $10 free flight tow glider (1 min 46 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:07 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
599 Posts
The last 2 flights were the best ones! We were catching thermals like crazy! Here's a few launches when we were still working on towing.

glider tow m1 (1 min 0 sec)

glider tow m2 (0 min 27 sec)
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:29 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
that's awesome! Thanks for posting those.