SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2004, 06:37 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Lipo Charger that will charge multiple packs?

Just what the title says..

Is there a GOOD, RELIABLE charger on the market that will similtaneously (sp) charge more than 1 pack??

Thanks

Jeff
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2004, 08:38 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
TTT..
Old Feb 23, 2004, 09:03 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
The only one I know of is the Hobbico feild charger MkII(not sure the exact name thats, close though ) I have one of the first SC-2's from Troy@B-P-P and have had a second on order for about 13 months now Last I heard was he was trying for a first of the year release thats come and gone and I'm starting to wonder if its worth waithing for or just buy a second Astro 109!!
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Feb 23, 2004, 09:06 PM
FDC
Joined Jan 2004
129 Posts
Re: Lipo Charger that will charge multiple packs?

Check out this charger, might be what you're looking for...

Miniron website in German and this english translated version translated by babelfish.

FDC is offline Find More Posts by FDC
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:28 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Yeh, I am seriously looking at the 109... I wish it would charge two packs though...
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:40 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Just get two of them Tram
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:47 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Hehehe..
Old Feb 24, 2004, 02:36 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,238 Posts
Apparently the Apache charger will be available in a twin port version, but when is the magic question............check the Feb. issue of Fly RC, page 75 and there it is, for all to covet. I think it's called sales by anticipation!!!
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Feb 24, 2004, 04:23 AM
radar jammer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined May 2003
563 Posts
Tram what packs would you like to charge simutaneously with the 109?

As long as they are of the same capacity and cell count (albiet balanced and in similar good condition) it can (read: 2/ 3s packs used in a 3S2P config discharged together). Just use a parallel Y cable to hook up...

The packs I've made have taps so I can balance cell by cell. This comes in handy only if there is questionable performance related issues where none existed before.

If they are not of the same discharged cpacity then it would be best to charge seperately... but if close simply adding a high wattage 0.1 ohm resistor to each pack Y leg will help balance the current load between packs. Also need to monitor each packs voltage (eg using 1 DMM per pack or similar).

or

This is where Suzanne's cell balancers would really come in handy.

Warning: You must babysit them (watch them like a hawk) at all times when doing this.
Greebe is offline Find More Posts by Greebe
Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:46 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,390 Posts
Hi,

Schulze 6-330d could charge 2 Li-po packs, although one would be limited to 330ma charge rate (and 3 cells - I think)

Cheers,
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Apr 05, 2005, 03:06 AM
Unregistered User
Limassol, Cyprus
Joined Oct 2003
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebe
Tram what packs would you like to charge simutaneously with the 109?

As long as they are of the same capacity and cell count (albiet balanced and in similar good condition) it can (read: 2/ 3s packs used in a 3S2P config discharged together). Just use a parallel Y cable to hook up...

The packs I've made have taps so I can balance cell by cell. This comes in handy only if there is questionable performance related issues where none existed before.

If they are not of the same discharged cpacity then it would be best to charge seperately... but if close simply adding a high wattage 0.1 ohm resistor to each pack Y leg will help balance the current load between packs. Also need to monitor each packs voltage (eg using 1 DMM per pack or similar).

or

This is where Suzanne's cell balancers would really come in handy.

Warning: You must babysit them (watch them like a hawk) at all times when doing this.
I have 3 packs for my foamy planes. They are the same capacity 1500mAh, countcell 3S, brand, and date of manufacture. But they are used in a different power setup, so they are at the different charge condition at the end of the fight.

Can I discharge one by one pack with AstroFlight 109 charger disconnecting them at the point when charger reports they are discharged. By such procedure I should rech each pack to be at barrely the same condition. Then let them rest for 10 minutes. Then using parallel Y cable to connect them to make 3S3P and charge them with 4.5A.

Can I do this? Is it safe? Will I damage the packs?
Alex Titoff is offline Find More Posts by Alex Titoff
Old Apr 05, 2005, 06:38 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Alex et al,

You can safely charge packs with the same S count (Same number of cells in series, no matter how many in parallel), and they do not have to be the same brand or capacity. Moreover, they do not have to be very close in voltage when you connect them together, particularly if all the packs are near depletion (not much energy left in them):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170524

The current into each pack should be checked and the total charger output current set so that none of the packs is charging @ greater than 1C.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Apr 05, 2005, 06:52 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Available soon. ? Four Banger.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 05, 2005, 09:05 AM
Unregistered User
Limassol, Cyprus
Joined Oct 2003
150 Posts
RD

Just to clear out. Do I need to discharge them before charging, or just connect them in parallel and charge at 1.5A?
My packs http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGHE6&P=0 have SafeCharge circuitry. Should I use them in this kind of charging?
Alex Titoff is offline Find More Posts by Alex Titoff
Old Apr 05, 2005, 09:14 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Do I need to discharge them before charging
No NO! NO!!!!! Never ever, ever discharge a pack that is not fully charged! It is not wise to do that with any battery type.

You always give a pack a full charge, then discharge. I would highly recommend charging one pack at a time at first. I usually charge my packs at about .8c so a 1500 mAh pack I would charge at 1.2-1.3amps.

I do parallel charge one of my packs. In fact I have wired two packs together. But that pack has taps and I regularly monitor each of the cells individually. So far, they are all with .01v of each other (after 50 cycles or so).

Anyway - charge all packs (of all battery types) first. Then you can discharge.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member