SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2001, 05:28 PM
Halloechen aus Texas !
austin, tx, usa
Joined Jun 2001
158 Posts
Can a Monarch HLG be discus-launched ?

The DJ Aerotech Monarch is a Hand Launch Glider - meant to be "thrown" straight.

I understand that discus lauching, which brings better heights, puts more stress on an airframe then simple hand launching.

Would a Monarch tolerate a discus launch, though ?

Thanks,
Knut
knut is offline Find More Posts by knut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2001, 06:44 PM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
286 Posts
I don't think that the fuselage would last. As I remember the fuse of a Monarch is fairly light weight. There is alot of flex placed on both the boom and nose during a discus launch. In fact Brian Buass' Raptor has extra strengthing in the nose because of the stresses.

Terry Throop
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Old Dec 11, 2001, 06:57 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
At least once!

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Dec 11, 2001, 07:20 PM
Halloechen aus Texas !
austin, tx, usa
Joined Jun 2001
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DocData757
At least once!

Dave
Heh. Flying rc planes has taught me the gravity of the meaning of "once"

Thanks for the information, gentlemen ! I will handle the throwing conservatively...
Knut
knut is offline Find More Posts by knut
Old Dec 11, 2001, 08:03 PM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
792 Posts
Discus launching also puts huge side loading on the tail. If I remember right, just an overhand throw used to cause the v-tail to wobble on the Monarch I used to have.

Keith
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Old Dec 11, 2001, 09:20 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Discus Launching

I finished my Art Hobby Elster 1.5M HLG Saturday and flew it Sunday. I started with javelin launches and then tried an easy discus launch- no problem. I kept increasing the force behind the launches until finally, the left V-tail folded at the joint (I'm left-handed). Luckily I had covered the tail and it didnt seperate. I just dumped full spoileron and got her down ok.

I rebuilt the tail out of thicker (1/8" vs. 3/32") medium balsa and reinforced it with a strip of .007 X 3/8" CF the full length on the underside and on top at the TE of the 'stabilizers'. Took her out today and gave her at least a dozen hard launches with no problem.

What a sweet glider!
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn