HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

2DogRC's 7" FPV LCD Screen

Are you looking for an LCD screen to fly FPV that won't break the bank? Check out this new screen from 2DogRC.com.

Splash

Introduction

7" 5.8 GHz Wireless FPV TFT LCD Diversity Receiver Monitor - RC701

2DogRC's 7" FPV LCD Screen - RCGroups.com (8 min 50 sec)

Screen Size: 7 inch
Screen Type: TFT LCD, LED backlight
Resolution: 800x480
Brightness: 450cd/m2
Contrast: 500:1
Input/Output: Built-in 2 CH 5.8Ghz AV output and 1CH AV input
Channels: Receives 2 different channels at the same time
Receiver: Built-in 5.8Ghz Dual diversity receiver
View Angle: 140/120degree(Horizontal/Vertical)
Working Voltage: DV 7-12V(center positive) or 11.1v 3s lipo
Power Consumption: 8w
Size: 180*120*23mm
Languages: 9 languages
Working Temp: -10 ~ +65 degrees celcius
Available From: 2DogRC.com
Price: $218.78

This 7 inch screen is big enough to get the job done, feature rich and small enough to easily carry.

If you are flying LOS (line of sight) and need a monitor to frame up your shots this FPV LCD is perfect. If you want to fly FPV (first person video) this FPV LCD screen is also great for that.

After I started flying FPV with my Phantom I really wanted a nice LCD to use. I was on the phone with Mark from 2DogRC and he said he had just received some new 7" LCD screens. He sent me one and I immediately put it to use.

Out of the Box - The first thing I was happy to see was the sun screen that doubled as a protective case. This is a must when you are out in the field. The image was crisp and the dual receivers worked well.

Features:

• Built-in Dual Receiver Automatically for best reception Automatic Antenna Switching
  • Dual buffered AV outputs
  • Can receive 2 different channels at the same time
  • Not affect by 2.4GHz R/C Radios
  • AV Receiver with Diversity inputs
  • Small, light weight, durable

RX x 2 - Offering true 5.8GHz diversity, this device features automatic antenna switching to provide the best reception possible.

2 Different Antennas - IBCrazy from RCGroups sent me a set of his Blue Beam clover leaf antennas. The stock antennas were fine but I knew the BlueBeams would do an even better job. On channel one I ran the clover leaf antenna and on the other I ran the 5 Turn Helical 9.5 dBic. The Helical is very directional and might be better suited for goggle use but I wanted to try it. The diversity receivers on this LCD are great because they allow you to get long range with one antenna and a wide field with the other and it switches automatically to the best signal.

NOSYNCOFF - In my video you can see what happens when this LCD looses a signal. It only went totally black when no signal was available but immediately showed the image again as soon as a signal was attained. There was no waiting around. The dual receivers also allowed it to find an image when one channel would drop out (as seen in my video).

Mark from 2DogRC has this to say about the RC701 - We have tested many different screens looking for an affordable and clear monitor for FPV! This model has many channels and is compatible with Fatshark, Immersion Boscom and many other 5.8 frequencies. Included are 2 whip antennas, and a canvas sheild/protective case. This is a very inexpensive way to start your FPV adventure!

Note - The OSD shown in the image above is from RC Logger. Look for an article about that soon.

The Ports -

Boscam RC701 AIO FPV Monitor Working Frequencies

• Band A: CH1:5705Mhz, CH2: 5685Mhz, CH3: 5665Mhz, CH4: 5645Mhz, CH5: 5885Mhz, CH6: 5905Mhz, CH7: 5925Mhz, CH8: 5945Mhz
  • Band B: CH1:5740Mhz, CH2: 5760Mhz, CH3: 5780Mhz, CH4: 5800Mhz, CH5: 5820Mhz, CH6: 5840Mhz, CH7: 5860Mhz, CH8: 5880Mhz
  • Band E: CH1:5865Mhz, CH2: 5845Mhz, CH3: 5825Mhz, CH4: 5805Mhz, CH5: 5785Mhz, CH6: 5765Mhz, CH7: 5745Mhz, CH8: 5725Mhz
  • Band F: CH1:5733Mhz, CH2: 5752Mhz, CH3: 5771Mhz, CH4: 5790Mhz, CH5: 5809Mhz, CH6: 5828Mhz, CH7: 5847Mhz, CH8: 5866Mhz

Instructions -

1. Screw the antennas and then power the LCD screen. Power LED is on and RX1 and RX2 are flashing alternately. RF1 is to RX1 and RF2 is to RX2, better signal first.(See Figure1). RF1 and RF2 must be in the same Channel.

2. Plug AV cable to RF1 AVOUT and connect the other end to the Monitor, then you can see the signals from RF1. So does the RF2 AVOUT. RF1 and RF2 must be in different channels to avoid signal interference. (see Figure2)

3. Plug AV cable to any of the two AV IN ports, LCD will switch to the AV in Automatically.

4. Buttons (See Figure1)

• ① POWER: LCD power on/off button.
  • ②SOURCE: Selection for AV1 and AV2
  • ③MENU/DOWN: Setup-Brightness, Contrast, Color, Language, Image Rotation, Options-zoom 16:9/4:3, Auto turn off (5s/10s/OFF), Rest
  • ④MINUS: Down
  • ⑤PLUS: Up

Warning: - It is imperative to NOT power up this unit without antenna installed; if antenna is not installed when unit is powered up, the unit can be damaged.

Conclusion

Out of the box this had everything I wanted and more. The dual receivers were a nice touch. I really like that it runs on a lipo. The sun shade that double as a protective case was also something I appreciated. For me this was a great first FPV screen. Now I'm planning on building a ground station around this monitor in a TX case.

View this item on 2DogRC.com.

Discussion

Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:22 AM
United States, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2012
193 Posts
what osd is that
wyllsurf is offline Find More Posts by wyllsurf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Me
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
I will add a link in the article. That is the RC Logger OSD system. I should have an article on that in the next few days.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Nov 04, 2013, 12:06 PM
Don't be popular, be right.
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
835 Posts
Good article. Thanks.
bigddybn is offline Find More Posts by bigddybn
Old Nov 04, 2013, 12:49 PM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,060 Posts
whats the price ? is one available for those of us that already have a receiver?
remvideo is offline Find More Posts by remvideo
Old Nov 04, 2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
You can check pricing at this link:
http://www.2dogrc.com/7-5-8-ghz-wire...r-monitor.html

They don't offer an FPV LCD without an rx.
Administrator
Old Nov 04, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2004
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remvideo View Post
whats the price ? is one available for those of us that already have a receiver?
I think the diversity receivers are the entire point. There are a surplus of options for solid screens without RX already.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,767 Posts
I've heard there are two versions of this --V1 has 8 channel support V2 has 32 channel support? Which one do you (the specs and the technical drawings posted don't seem to align).
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E600 Load Testing
Old Nov 04, 2013, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
You're right! I do have 8 dip switches on the back.
I am updating now.
Administrator
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
523 Posts
On your video description on youtube you state "Are you looking for an LCD screen to fly LOS (line of sight) that won't break the bank?"

You do know LOS is not FPV piloting right? LOS flying is looking at the airplane and does not require an LCD screen. This is very misleading and I can't for the life of me figure out why you would make such an error unless you just got into FPV and don't know enough to be doing reviews..
squishy654 is offline Find More Posts by squishy654
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:07 PM View Post
squishy654
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while squishy654 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Joined Mar 2002
11,445 Posts
Hey squishy
Thanks for the posts.
The whole concept is that I'm reviewing gear someone new to FPV would need. The whole FPV scene is pretty overwhelming and my goal is show other RC pilot's in my shoes the easiest way to get into it with some entry level products. I'm definitely doing my homework everyday and really having great time with it. Thanks for taking a look and giving your input.
Administrator
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:40 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,556 Posts
Huh.... Squishy hasnt made any friends yet Go figure!

Thanks for the article Jim..... I have a 7" monitor and this gives me some ideas....
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:56 AM
Elkridge, MD
Joined Sep 2005
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham View Post
Hey squishy
Thanks for the posts.
The whole concept is that I'm reviewing gear someone new to FPV would need. The whole FPV scene is pretty overwhelming and my goal is show other RC pilot's in my shoes the easiest way to get into it with some entry level products. I'm definitely doing my homework everyday and really having great time with it. Thanks for taking a look and giving your input.
Wow - you hit it on the head for me. I am new to FPV and are TOTALLY Overwhelmed. I do not want to dump boatloads of cash into my first setup, but I want something decent!

I have a DJI Phantom and a Go Pro 3 and would love to use that for FPV. Since I am new to this and will not likely use the low flight time of the DJI for any serious distance, I kind of thought a monitor may be the way to go as opposed to Goggles.

I know I need to buy a TX to go with this, but can I use the Go Pro for the flight camera AND still use it to take pictures? Is there a magic cable that I need to hook to the TX that will sen the signal back to this cool setup?

THANKS!

Rob
Bigfoot21075 is offline Find More Posts by Bigfoot21075
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:15 AM
Joined Aug 2004
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot21075 View Post
Wow - you hit it on the head for me. I am new to FPV and are TOTALLY Overwhelmed. I do not want to dump boatloads of cash into my first setup, but I want something decent!

I have a DJI Phantom and a Go Pro 3 and would love to use that for FPV. Since I am new to this and will not likely use the low flight time of the DJI for any serious distance, I kind of thought a monitor may be the way to go as opposed to Goggles.

I know I need to buy a TX to go with this, but can I use the Go Pro for the flight camera AND still use it to take pictures? Is there a magic cable that I need to hook to the TX that will sen the signal back to this cool setup?

THANKS!

Rob
Go read. All of it

http://www.rcgroups.com/fpv-talk-469/

Yes there is a go pro cable. Yes it can do both. Not it's not really ideal.

And PLEASE make sure you can fly that phantom in manual mode before you starting adding complexity to your flying blender. I don't know anything about you personally but I do know the average phantom owner doesn't seem to ever leave GPS mode and eventually comes in here to complain about how their "defective" naza flew away on them.