SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni 1.2M build thread.

Ok, when i ordered a replacement pod for my Art Hobby hyper (which is great!) i accidentally-on-purpose ordered a Zuni 1.2M. as usual the kit quality is amazing and Andre was extremely helpful. i'll try and post some building photos on this thread.

first, i have learned that a reinforced pod goes a long way. that is, i'm going to fix it before i break it. our local slope has more rocks than trees. in this photo you can see that i used carbon strips to reinforce the side of the cockpit. i also used 15 minute epoxy and light-weight fiberglass on the bottom of the pod from the nose to under the wing saddle. (i also cut out an access in the wing saddle to route the aileron servo wires, install a tow hook, and install the wing bolt block). all of this “weight” is foreward of the CG. it seems that on every glider i build i have to add weight to the nose so i figure it might as well be worthwhile...
Botterii is offline Find More Posts by Botterii
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 22, 2004 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:37 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni 1.2M wing tips

here are the wing tips. one rough sanded the other not yet sanded...
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Wing joining, step 1

at the wing roots i have marked the area that will be removed to receive a batch of micro baloons and epoxy when the wings are joined (more on that later).
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 22, 2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:47 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni 1.2M ailerons, step 1

here i have measured and penciled in where i will cut out the ailerons. i asked Andre about cutting full length ailerons and he recommended against it. plus, in the wing the internal support for the ailerons is only long enough for the recommended length. however, i know two locals who have cut full length ailerons on their Art Hobby Colibri's and seem happy they did--the glider is more responsive for aerobatics.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:56 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Intermission

just for fun here is a random shot of one of our local hotshots flying his Blade. eventually more will follow...
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:12 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni 1.2M v-tail

i have found the v-tail of my Art Hobby Hyper to be a weak point (remember there are lots of rocks on my favorite slope), so i am going to try something different with the Zuni. in this photo i have spread a layer of medium CA glue on the v-tail fins (top and bottom) and then sanded them smooth. my hope is that any added strength will prevent needless breakage without adding the weight of fiberglass cloth. when i join them i will use 5 minute epoxy and a thin strip of fiberglass at the base.
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 22, 2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:13 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Ha! Nick at Powerline! Oh how I want a good day...
Pete-O is offline Find More Posts by Pete-O
Old Feb 26, 2004, 06:25 PM
ACM
slopetrash wannabe
Belly of the Beast/NorCal
Joined Feb 2003
333 Posts
Any more progress??
ACM is offline Find More Posts by ACM
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:51 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni build continued--battery pack

here's the battery pack. 4 AAA's, a 750 mAh. problem is fitting them all the way into the nose. i posted a question about AAAA rechargeables in order to build a smaller battery pack. i know they exist, but i don't know if they exist in rechargeable form... anyone know?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:57 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni V-tail

the vtail is simple to put together. after a thin coat of CA on the fins they are glued to the boom mount, which i had precut and sanded. in the v of the v-tail i 5 min epoxied a thin stip of fiberglass for added strength and did not use the provided insert/brace.
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 26, 2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 09:04 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
receiver...

i plan on using a hitech 555. the problem is fitting it in the fuse. i think i'll be able to fit it in sideways. i did remove the case and then i used clear shrink wrap to protect it.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 09:08 PM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
v-tail, another view

the bottom view of the v-tail
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:02 AM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni ailerons

i used a table mounted grinder to put an angle on the leading edge of the ailerons. in the photo one is finished, the other not. the angle allows the aileron to be joined on the top surface of the wing and still be able to drop into the down position.
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 27, 2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:09 AM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
Zuni Aileron again...

i used a metal straight edge and a sharp exacto to cut out the ailerons...
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 27, 2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:24 AM
colorado
Joined Oct 2002
127 Posts
wing joining

i know this doesn't show any detail, but 'what i did was' cut out the spaces in the wing where the joining blocks go (see above photo) then i measured the 6cm dihedral, taped the bottom of each wing half together, then i mixed 15 minute epoxy with a generous amount of micro balloons, picked the whole wing up and folded it open (remember, it's taped on the bottom half) and then poured the epoxy/micro balloon mix into the holes meant for the joining blocks. then i folded the wing back together and used the rest of the epoxy/micro balloon mix to lay a piece of fiberglass over the wing joint. also, before i did this i sanded the top piece of each wing root so when the 6 cm dihedral was added each half fit together nicely. after this sets i will add a layer of fiberglass over the bottom-side wing joint. my dog is my assistant...
Last edited by Botterii; Feb 27, 2004 at 12:31 AM.