SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, OH, Painesville
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Help!
servo direction problems

Hi everyone I'm finally going to move up to a 450 size been building and just about complete I'm just have problem with swash moving in the correct direction using DX6I / AR6200-X has to do with cyclic { push stick, goes left pull back goes right' move left goes forward move stick right goes back Now that does not seem to be correct.

thro=ESC ail=one front servo, elev=rear servo rudd=gyro gear gyro, aux=second front servo

can figure this one out stumped tryed different rx same thing watched lots of videos I believe a bazillion times please tell I not crazy

If I push stick forward the swash should tilt forward
if I pull the stick should tilt back
move stick left should tilt left
move stick right should tilt right
PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT CRAZY

Thanks for any guidance I really need it for my head is about to explode.
Duke2448 is offline Find More Posts by Duke2448
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:35 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined Sep 2013
76 Posts
Go to the REVERSE screen on your tx and reverse servo direction there. I had the same thing happening and that fixed it.
GregofGod is offline Find More Posts by GregofGod
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
You have to get the servo reversing set correctly before you do the swash mixing.

Set up a new model or clear out the one you have, then follow this procedure...

- Make sure your swash type is set to "3-Servo 120"
- With the helicopter on, blades off, or motor disabled - go to the servo reversing screen
- Move the throttle stick up and down a little bit
- All three cyclic servos should move up and down together - if one doesn't, reverse that servo only.
- Go to your pitch mixing setup
- Move the throttle stick up - all three servos should move together, and your blades should get more positive pitch. If not, change the pitch mixing number from positive to negative - we will set the actual number later, just getting the direction correct now.
- Move the cyclic stick to the right - your swash plate should tilt down on the right - if not, change the aileron mixing number from positive to negative. Again, we'll set the actual number later.
- Move the cyclic stick forward - the swash should tilt down on the front side. If not, reverse the elevator mixing number from positive to negative.
- Double check your settings - make sure that more throttle gives you more positive pitch, and the swash is tilting in the right directions.
- Check that the blades are at zero pitch with the throttle stick in the middle - you have not adjusted the pitch curve yet, so this should be the case.
- Put the throttle stick all the way up. Adjust the pitch mixing number until the swash moves up to the extreme - the washout block should nearly run into the head.
- Put the throttle stick all the way down. Make sure there is no binding, and the washout block does not slip off the washout guide rods. If it is going too far, be double sure you are getting zero pitch at mid-stick, and reduce the pitch mixing number if you need to.

DO NOT go back and forth between the steps. Only go forward because steps depend on the previous step being done right.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Thanks guys, will try tonight a lot different then fix wing aircraft and digital boards.

Thankyou for your response
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:52 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah it's a little more tricky than flybarless boards, which only need to know pilot commands. These helicopters need pre-mixed servo instructions, so that might make it a little tricky to set up. The advantage is, you can visually observe your setup and know it's working right. With FBL systems, you have to fly the thing and risk a crash to test your setup.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yeah it's a little more tricky than flybarless boards, which only need to know pilot commands. These helicopters need pre-mixed servo instructions, so that might make it a little tricky to set up. The advantage is, you can visually observe your setup and know it's working right. With FBL systems, you have to fly the thing and risk a crash to test your setup.
That's what I get for doing everything backwards.

I set up a couple FBLs recently and they all had provision for making sure everything was going in the right direction and gyros compensating in the correct directions.

I'm amazed they caught on as well as they did having gone through a "blind faith until flown" phase - can't say as I'm sorry I missed it.

I'm currently in the middle of my first flybar build. It'll be my first time picking anything other than "single servo normal". And that flybar cage - it's like standing on the edge of the abyss and staring into the back of a mechanical pocket watch - a semi-sentient pocket watch with malevolent intent.

All in what one is used to I suppose.
Hawk404 is offline Find More Posts by Hawk404
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Ain't that the TRUTH did that a few years ago all in all I'm over it.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
I stand in awe of the early pioneers. There's linkage rods galore: swashplate to seesaw, washout arm to hiller control lever, seesaw to blade grip...

Many of which can be mounted in more than one way to tune, well, something or other. The paddles have two holes and there's a reference to paddle weights which also no doubt changes the characteristics.

But I'm old enough to know people that grow wistful missing their automotive spark retarding / advancing levers, manual chokes and vacuum operated windshield wipers so it's only logical that some would miss the "good old days" of a metric pantload of linkage rods, washout whatsis, seesaws, carousels, bell and / or hiller gizmos - when things were "simpler". Coming at it for the first time "simple" was not the first word that came to mind. And none of this gets you out of the "rate" or "HH" tail gyro though if one were a purist I suppose tail mixing is still an option.

Not one to deny myself the entire flybar experience I'm piling it on top of my very first foray into nitro.

Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
jasmine2501 thanks that did the trick also found youtube page painless360 swash explained its also excellent info thanks again.
THIS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT CONVERSATION AN FUN
Old Oct 29, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Thankyou jasmine 2501 that did the trick works like it should did all so find a youtube videoon swash plate explained was excellent just as you said just with video (painless360)
again thankyou and happy flying.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 05:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah I've posted at least one video about it myself too. Always a good idea to search the tubes
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,169 Posts
I do all my first flights strapped to a heli-stand.
But I use low RPM and low power.
This allows me to double & triple check everything as well as get the blades
tracked before my first actual test flight.
It's saved my butt a few times from glitching servos and FBL controller gains set
too high etc..

It gives me a really good idea on how the heli is going to fly before it does.

In the past I was advised here NOT to use a heli stand with a 450 helicopter
because it was unsafe.

In the past I was stupid and applying 100% throttle full positive & negative pitch
and full cyclic and rudder movements with a 450 on a test stand.
That's kinda silly and very hard on the heli.

Heli stand used carefully and at low power settings/low head speed is a winner
and an awesome run-up test tool.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Heli-stand?

Can elaborate please - Google is failing me tonight.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk404 View Post
Heli-stand?

Can elaborate please - Google is failing me tonight.
Don't worry about it. As he pointed out, it's extremely dangerous. Basically you strap the helicopter to stand that tries to hold it down, while allowing movement around two or three axes. The problem is not with the test procedure itself, the problem is that the only way that contraption can fail is extremely dangerous. It is much better to just put some training balls and fly the thing.

IMO, the heli stand was invented out of FEAR. If you fear your helicopter, that's a problem that strapping it down won't solve.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 09:16 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,169 Posts
Man this could get religious really quick.
I've had a lot of success with it and it saves me some servos and scuffed blade tips.
The training balls are an excellent idea on first run-up and tracking.
Didn't really think of that.

And yes there's plenty of fear or I'll call it caution when I'm first bringing my custom birds
online.

I always wear eye protection when flying after having had carbon blades shot at me a few times.
Once a main blade it just missed me and another time a tail grip gave way.

Thanks, I respect your opinion, you've been doing this a lot longer than me.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV