HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Discussion
Walkera G400 GPS Helicopter

I was looking for a release date for the new walkera g400 helicopter, does anyone know when it will be out? Or does anyone have one?
The Quad Tech is offline Find More Posts by The Quad Tech
Last edited by The Quad Tech; Oct 28, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:44 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
722 Posts
According to Walkera, it will be released at the end of this Month - so sometime soon.

After my short experience with the V400d02 and shoddy build quality and components I'll be staying well clear of this newer model.
ZeRoEXPO is offline Find More Posts by ZeRoEXPO
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Walkera has consistently demonstrated they have a way to go in flight controller programming. You would be advised to wait until they have done 3 or 4 firmware updates. Their QXR 350 delivers the type of performance and features you would have thought were pretty good two years ago and is getting lots of firmware upgrades.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 31, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Walkera has consistently demonstrated they have a way to go in flight controller programming. You would be advised to wait until they have done 3 or 4 firmware updates. Their QXR 350 delivers the type of performance and features you would have thought were pretty good two years ago and is getting lots of firmware upgrades.
Actually the qr x350 has had 2 updates.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:48 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Apparently there are more upgrades being called for, as there are lots of people swapping out the FCB for the APM board. I have flown it and found it far less precise and responsive than the the competition, even ignoring the outstanding errors. Admittedly, it's cheaper and you really do get what you pay for with quads.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:17 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Besides the FC, I would also be worried about the fact that the G400 is based on the V400D02 which has a terrible reputation for quality. I would be much more confident if it were based on the Master CP or V450D03.

What particular worries me is the "Return to Home" function. There are clearly problems with it in the QR X350. With the G400, you have a got a large spinning rotor that can cause serious injury. Walkera does have a knack of predicting future trends accurately so I would not rule it out. However, it is best to leave the initial batch for others to try out.

The QR X350 looks as if it were released several months before it was ready. This was probably because Walkera got word that Blade was about to release a similar model.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Apparently there are more upgrades being called for, as there are lots of people swapping out the FCB for the APM board. I have flown it and found it far less precise and responsive than the the competition, even ignoring the outstanding errors. Admittedly, it's cheaper and you really do get what you pay for with quads.
It was me who done the conversion to APM not becaase the walkera qr x350 isnt any good infact mines flew very well, but like you say you get what you pay for and my opinion is its good value for money.

Thanks
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Found a new video of the G400 Here
http://www.kooltoyz.co.uk/kooltoyz-i...ansmitter.html
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:53 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
It is the same video here. The heli will land on its own with the RTH function. This heli could encourage inexperienced pilots to do things that they shouldn't.

Walkera GPS Helicopter G400 w GPS altitude hold & One Key Go home function (2 min 1 sec)
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 07, 2013, 08:14 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
They put a different FCB on the V400D02 and better than double the price. If you buy one, expect to do a lot of upgrades. The V400D02 frame is weak and flexes a lot; the main motor is weak and poor quality and needs a brushless conversion; the tail motor burns out quickly and doesn't hold, expect to do a belt or shaft drive conversion; the servos need upgrading; the standard Devo 7 transmitter is the poorest of the Devo models and the firmware can't be upgraded. Walkera has a long history of recycling unwanted models by adding some electronics and repackaging them.
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 07, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:00 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It is the same video here. The heli will land on its own with the RTH function. This heli could encourage inexperienced pilots to do things that they shouldn't.
+1 on the risk-factor with a RTH 400 size helicopter..
Probably a good thing to let this beast start up on a large flat area. Ive been using park picnic tables for launching.. can't imagine the RTH nailing the table that accurately ha ha. neither do I really want to be there to catch it if its not landing centered.
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,204 Posts
Geezzee ! G400/ rebranded V400D02. Bad servos [plastic strip way to easy]/ weak flexing frame/ Brushed motor/ brushed tail/ Thats four strikes allready. Hope they did some upgrades on this bird.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
722 Posts
Still no sign of this thing yet, even though Walkera said it will be released at the end of October.
I do wonder how the RTH function will work, though, as one or more Servos will inevitably be stripped straight from the box.
Old Dec 07, 2013, 05:28 AM
Tokyo Setagaya-Ku, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
595 Posts
Hi guys,

Several internet shops have stocks now;

http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-walker...on-p-8619.html

They say altitude hold or attitude hold?
K2-tokyo is offline Find More Posts by K2-tokyo
Old Dec 07, 2013, 12:04 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2-tokyo View Post
Hi guys,

Several internet shops have stocks now;

http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-walker...on-p-8619.html

They say altitude hold or attitude hold?
I think it's far too expensive for what it is, and that's the BNF price without TX, Battery, or charger.

By the time it has been upgraded with about $150-200 of 'essentials' like new Servos, Brushless main and tail, and had the weak parts strengthened, a decent 450 could've been bought in the first place.

I see that attitude wording used in various vendors descriptions but I've no idea what it means.

It must be Chinglish for Altitude.