HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:54 AM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
Build Log
Guillows P-51D Mustang #905 rc conversion

So after the demise of my Durafly Critical Mass Micro, I decided that the best thing to do was gut is for parts. I recently decided that I would use the electronics in a guillows spitfire. Unfortunately my local hobby lobby didn't have any spitfires, so I went with the mustang instead.

I started by building the fuselage which took much less time than my other guillows kits had taken due to my recent discovery of CA glue (im more of a foamie guy). My plan with the fuse is to chop the top off to allow electronics to be shifted for cg. I then followed the fuse by making the right wing. The instructions said to bend the metal wire provided to create a permanent landing gear. I decided to stray away from the instructions and use the removable landing gear from the Critical Mass Micro. It fortunately glued in where the former meets the bottom stringer on the outermost W2 (see picture). I plan to cover the model with black monokote and then airbrush with metallic paint over it.

My parts include:
Motor: AP05 3000kv Brushless Outrunner
Servos (x4): HK-5320 Digital 1.7
ESC: Turnigy Plush 6a w/bec
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 180mah 2S 25~40C Lipo Pack
Reciever: OrangeRx R410 Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 4Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

More pictures and captions to come
servohead117 is offline Find More Posts by servohead117
Last edited by servohead117; Oct 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2013, 01:22 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,161 Posts
Golly thats a small motor. I look forward to finding out what the AUW of your plane ends up at.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:26 PM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
Golly thats a small motor. I look forward to finding out what the AUW of your plane ends up at.
It is small but it pulled the Critical Mass around at a respectable pace. For this build i'm not looking as much for vertical, but more for scale flying characteristics. The AUW is projected at around 75 grams. I'm always trying to build a super light airframe. With this one, I am so concerned that I had to fight over having a steerable tail wheel or not. I decided to but i'm going to keep it super light. Ill keep the thread pretty up to date on what's going on.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:58 PM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
I worked on the mustang a little more today. I built what I thought was the left wing, but was really yet another right. I carefully cut apart the ribs and other parts and reassembled it in the correct direction. I added the landing gear to that side as well. Im very nervous about the weight as I got a readout of 40g auw of the wings, fuse, electronics, and hardware (no battery). I did another readout and I was told 56g. I dont have the best scale so hopefully it is more towards the 40g weight. I'm gonna find a friend that has another scale and do some more tests in the future, but based on my tests, the weight is either very heavy or very promising. See pics below (wings are going to be glued on later).

Knife-edge
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:15 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Very nice!
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:07 AM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
Thanks PROACE. Im hoping to be finished with it by the end of the week. Ive decided on the cripes amighty paint scheme (or some rendition of it). More pics to come soon.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:05 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Subscribed! I am thinking of the same sort of build... Coinsidently, I just purchased the same motor/ESC from HKing...
I thought of using a Guillows kit as a starting point (I'm partial to the P40), but the electric conversion seemed a pain that needed sorting...
I like your method of building the fuse, then "splitting" the areas that need access (batt area etc)...

What is a weight threshold that needs to be avoided based on the groups experience?
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:41 PM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
Great! Unfortunately I was too busy to post pics, but building is finished and all thats left is covering, painting, and linkages. I am absolutely HORRIBLE at monokoting. I tried is on one wing today and it came out horrible. Im going to do the fuse, elevator and rudder and then get back to the wings. Deamon 6, the weight threshold that ive seen for the 900 kits is less than 75 or 80 grams. Im going for 80, just cause my crummy monokoting will add weight. I made a removable canopy from the first top former in the fuse to the last one in the top (pics added soon). Its held by the cmass' magnets it seems to work well. I hope to be done with covering tommorrow and if i am ill post pics of the final project minus paint. Everyone take care.

Knife-edge
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by servohead117 View Post
Great! Unfortunately I was too busy to post pics, but building is finished and all thats left is covering, painting, and linkages. I am absolutely HORRIBLE at monokoting. I tried is on one wing today and it came out horrible. Im going to do the fuse, elevator and rudder and then get back to the wings. Deamon 6, the weight threshold that ive seen for the 900 kits is less than 75 or 80 grams. Im going for 80, just cause my crummy monokoting will add weight. I made a removable canopy from the first top former in the fuse to the last one in the top (pics added soon). Its held by the cmass' magnets it seems to work well. I hope to be done with covering tommorrow and if i am ill post pics of the final project minus paint. Everyone take care.

Knife-edge
I am sort of the covering wiz at my field... Is there anything I can shed some light on? I'd be glad to help out.

Do you use a heat gun in conjunction with you traditional iron?

I was thinking of using "Ultra coat" v.s. Monocoat primarily due to its lighter weight...

Anyway... You mentioned "900 kits" in your post,
I'm not familiar with that reference?

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:03 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Tissue and dope. Airbrushed
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
This is what I picked up... This should work out ok shouldn't it?

http://bit.ly/19d741w
Old Oct 31, 2013, 02:10 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
I am sort of the covering wiz at my field... Is there anything I can shed some light on? I'd be glad to help out.

Do you use a heat gun in conjunction with you traditional iron?

I was thinking of using "Ultra coat" v.s. Monocoat primarily due to its lighter weight...

Anyway... You mentioned "900 kits" in your post,
I'm not familiar with that reference?

Can't wait to see the pics!
http://www.guillow.com/series900.aspx

There's a Guillows conversion thread around here somewhwere. I'm slowly working on a Bird Dog...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old Oct 31, 2013, 06:44 AM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
I have only covered one plane and it didn't come out the best. Im a sefltaught builder, flyer, and unfortunately monokoter so there is no one local to ask. Is there a certain place I should start on the wing to keep wrinkles pulled out. I have used the heat gun but it didnt pull anything tight enough. I have no problems covering anything flat (including the bottom of the wing) its just the tops that always give me trouble. Any advice on making the monokote tight/where to start from is greatly appreciated. Deam looks nice but a word of advice for next time, if you have a hobby lobby near you go there with the 40% off coupon you can find online and buy it there for like $7. Ill keep you all posted and pics wilk be added tonight before im busy handing out candy
Old Oct 31, 2013, 08:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by servohead117 View Post
I have only covered one plane and it didn't come out the best. Im a sefltaught builder, flyer, and unfortunately monokoter so there is no one local to ask. Is there a certain place I should start on the wing to keep wrinkles pulled out. I have used the heat gun but it didnt pull anything tight enough. I have no problems covering anything flat (including the bottom of the wing) its just the tops that always give me trouble. Any advice on making the monokote tight/where to start from is greatly appreciated. Deam looks nice but a word of advice for next time, if you have a hobby lobby near you go there with the 40% off coupon you can find online and buy it there for like $7. Ill keep you all posted and pics wilk be added tonight before im busy handing out candy
Free Candy! Now that's my kinda forum!!

I have an appointment to catch, I'll post some of my tips on covering in a few...

The tissue and dope method I haven't tried yet, but I have plenty of dope... Just need some tissue
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:15 AM
Knife-Edge
Joined Mar 2013
201 Posts
Sounds good. In looking forward to the help.