SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
154 Posts
Help!
FPV in submarine yes but?

hi folks,
i am usually more in the air,, fpv with planes and sea plane, but yesterday i ve seen a video, that ll change my way to see the lake we have here.
here is the vid
Thunder-Tiger Neptune SB-1 submarine modified for FPV (3 min 57 sec)

from what i see, the guy used a cable for have vtx and i guess radio rx above the water, wich is smart.

Now, the thing is that i don t know much about submarine, and maybe i am way wrong in my expectations.
is there any rc sub that can go below 10 m ? (30ft)
what kind of sub would you recommand for that kind of project?

Thx for your time and your help
nocomp is offline Find More Posts by nocomp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2013, 03:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
154 Posts
so far, the best sub that would fit that i ve found is the one of the video
Old Oct 27, 2013, 07:41 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Yes, The Thunder Tiger SB-1 Neptune will do all you want and some !

It can dive to 30ft ok but that's right on it's limits. Great Sub though and very versatile with camera options.
BieneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by BieneFlyer
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
154 Posts
hi,
thx for your post, from what i ve seen on internet, this model is quite unique, nothing similar. i was hoping something bigger with more space.
now i try to figure out how get a sorat of control board, with direction and depth, quite tricky
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:09 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Hi nocomp,

I haven't seen much to compare with the SB-1. Mikes Subworks has another research type sub that looks like it's designed with camera work and exploration in mind. The SRV-II Almost Ready-to-Run submarine.

http://www.mikessubworks.com/

I'm amazed by that video clip you posted. I didn't think the Tx Rx would have worked as well as it did in salt water. Very cool ! I am motivated to throw some kind of FPV on my SB-1

I have had my SB-1 down to depths beyond 20ft but in a really clear, fresh water lake.
BieneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by BieneFlyer
Old Nov 02, 2013, 05:21 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,634 Posts
absolutely needs the RC antenna above water if used in salt, so needs a coax cable to the surface, you can use 1 piece of coax to run the video signal and TX signal to the surface with a filter circuit to separate the 2 signals,
I had one designed for me by an EE.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 02, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2004
379 Posts
If I had clear water it would make an interesting video. But the camera system works good except its not real time and without a cable I'm unaware of any way to broadcast a video signal. The sub can go below 30 ft.

http://home.comcast.net/~ryourk/2.wmv
Carcharadon is offline Find More Posts by Carcharadon
Old Nov 02, 2013, 09:45 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,634 Posts
BTW check out the ROV forums.

any more than 5 M and (SB1 is rated to 5m 10 is absolute limit) you really need to be building it your self using much stronger materials than hobby grade stuff, I've got a piece of alloy tube with 1/2 inch wall thickness and 4" diameter just waiting for me to get off my posterior

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 03, 2013, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
154 Posts
thxx a lot guys for all your help, winter time is coming, time to build ))
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
Great video!! I am thinking of getting this sub as well. Do you have any ideas on where to mount a gopro hero 3 cam on this machine?
Newcopterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Newcopterpilot
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
Stockholm
Joined Jan 2010
71 Posts
Ok, now wee seen that it can be done....but how???
Plesa investigate and post here.
I have FPV-equipment but no skills to master this suff other than "plug n play".
FPV under water vould bee soo cool!!!

// Mats W
Mats W is offline Find More Posts by Mats W
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Aug 2013
20 Posts
+1. There is actually no video of how to mount a cam on the SB 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats W View Post
Ok, now wee seen that it can be done....but how???
Plesa investigate and post here.
I have FPV-equipment but no skills to master this suff other than "plug n play".
FPV under water vould bee soo cool!!!

// Mats W
Newcopterpilot is offline Find More Posts by Newcopterpilot
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:00 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
447 Posts
I am in project to do a fpv submarine, it involve building all of stuffs under water.
When wireless transmission, you will never get quality of picture as on board record.

Be aware the FPV refer to only to fly/dive from video, not every camera onboard should be called fpv.
modelerchina is offline Find More Posts by modelerchina
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:04 AM
Where the Robots Roam
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
SRV-II for FPV

Even though the SRV-II is designed to be R/C controlled, it would be very easy to remove the R/C components and replace them with a control system based on a tether. Since the SRV-II has batteries onboard, the tether could be very light weight. Here is a link to a fairly simple tether control system using Atmeg Pro Mini mcus: http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/rovforu...hp?f=15&t=1159
As far as FPV goes, a CMOS/CCD camera could be installed in the front bubble canopy of the SRV-II and through the use of baluns and one twisted pair of wires in the tether, real time video could be transmitted to a monitor on the surface through the tether.
Regards,
TCIII
TCIII is offline Find More Posts by TCIII
Old Dec 03, 2013, 03:52 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
447 Posts
so, I understand correctly: output from transmitter training plug, get PPM down into water, and decoded to pwm to servo and ESC, sounds good for underwater appliance.
modelerchina is offline Find More Posts by modelerchina