HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Aries Pro HD Video Transmission

Get More Clarity in the Air

Splash

Tired of SD Video Transmissions?

I shoot a lot of aerial videos and use FPV systems to capture some great footage. One thing I've been disappointed in is the 640x480 SD video feed we get from our standard FPV video transmission systems. No matter how good your goggles or display is, the video downlink is just not that great. Enter the Nyrius Aries Pro Wireless HD transmission system.

When I first heard about this system available on Amazon for $250, I was skeptical. There had to be catch. Either the range was useless or the latency was too long to be useable. Nyrius claims the range to be 160' and says that it has zero latency, so I thought I would give it a try and see how it holds up. I setup my Octocopter with both systems so that all I needed to do to switch from SD to HD was swap a power plug, move the HDMI cable over and then hit the source button on the monitor.

I have to say that the first time I fired up the HD system and saw the screen, I was impressed. It was absolutely crystal clear! Waving my hand in front of the camera I couldn't see any latency at all. Double Plus! Now all I needed to find out was the range of the system. We went out to a field and put the Octo up in the air. I kept going and going and the image was amazing. We could see so much more detail on the screen. When we started getting near the range limit, the image started showing some grain that looked similar to low light noise, but even that was better than a clear SD image. Finally we exceeded the range limit and the screen went black. We estimated we were somewhere around 250-300ft line of sight when it cut out, so triple plus. That range is usable for plenty of the shots we do. Anything farther than that and we can easily switch it back to the SD system.

I would not recommend the HD system for the average FPV flyer. The range is just too short for guys who want to travel around for high-power long-range flights, but for the guy who is doing video work and not flying very far away, the Aries Pro HD transmission system is amazing for that. Even more good news is that if you crack open the transmitter case, there is a spot on the circuit board to add an external antenna. We're guessing we can greatly extend the rage by adding a polarized external antenna. I'll post my finding on that once we get it figured out. [Nyrius]

Specs

• Wireless Technology: GigaXtreme Technology
  • Ports and Interfaces: HDMI, Micro-USB
  • Environmental Requirements: Operating temperature: -10 to 40 C
  • Storage temperature: -20 to 80 C
  • Relative humidity: 15 ~ 8 5 %RH
  • Power: 5V / 1A (Transmitter), 5V / 2A (Receiver)
  • Video Formats TV: 1080p, 1080i,720p, 576p, 480p, PC : 1024x768, 1280x1024, 640x480, 800x600
  • Audio Formats Supported: PCM , DTS , Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
  • Wireless Range: 160 feet open space (clear line of sight)
  • Transmission Frequency: 5.15 ~ 5.25 GHz, 5.25 ~ 5.35 GHz, 5.47 ~ 5.725 GHz, 5.725 ~ 5.850 GHz
  • Transmitter Dimensions: Length: 3.85 inches (98mm), Width: 1.14 inches (29mm), Height: 0.57 inch (14.5 mm)
  • Receiver Dimensions: Length: 3.89 inches (99 mm), Width: 2.2 inches (56 mm), Height: 0.81 inch (20.5 mm)

Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,062 Posts
Wow this looks the same as the Paralinx I have, but much cheaper! I was pretty disappointed with the Paralinx on my quad. I was only able to get about 40-50 ft with it. But it works great for hand held stuff
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:03 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,069 Posts
Even more good news is that if you crack open the transmitter case, there is a spot on the circuit board to add an external antenna.

Is it a solder point or an actual SMA connector? (either is fine, just curious)
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:01 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Even more good news is that if you crack open the transmitter case, there is a spot on the circuit board to add an external antenna.

Is it a solder point or an actual SMA connector? (either is fine, just curious)
Just a solder point.
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,069 Posts
you may have stumbled onto something quite nice, if you add a pair of CP antennas, Jason!
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:09 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,075 Posts
Wow, someone is going to take this and run with an upgraded antenna setup. If we could double or triple the range it would be the ultimate poor mans HD downlink. Great find.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 26, 2013, 01:41 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
Yeah this looks like it could be just AWESOME! Can you imagine pairing this up with a Gatling and a CL???? Good times!

I would still definitely fly with a separate, analog video system, though. The redundancy could be very important if this system freezes/locks up suddenly for whatever reason, or if the signal gets weak and you get a BSOD.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,893 Posts
its the beginning of this technology..i think we will see more and more hd video transmitter in few years.
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:42 AM
quadiger
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2013
672 Posts
Would love to see someone show us how to put a cloverleaf on this thing. I've had one for over a year now for a directors monitor link but would love to try this out for aerial stuff. The video link from this thing is as close to uncompressed 1080p as I've seen.
bimdas is online now Find More Posts by bimdas
Old Oct 27, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Oct 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdas View Post
Would love to see someone show us how to put a cloverleaf on this thing. I've had one for over a year now for a directors monitor link but would love to try this out for aerial stuff. The video link from this thing is as close to uncompressed 1080p as I've seen.
+1

I don't have an FPV system yet, but have already needed more than 200'. Would love to see the range on this with a cloverleaf. Should this work without a frequency conflict, in parallel with another 5.8 Tx for OSD/FPV? Or, in planning to use this, would 900 or 1258 be a better choice?
Scott AGLPIC is offline Find More Posts by Scott AGLPIC
Old Oct 28, 2013, 07:45 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,478 Posts
You should be fine with another 5.8 system. You can alway change channels if you are getting interference.
Administrator
Old Oct 28, 2013, 07:51 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,075 Posts
It isn't a matter of changing the channels. With it being a spread spectrum 5.8GHz signal you may get some interference in your standard FPV signal as the HD downlink is using your same channel for a fractions of a second every second. I would assume this HD setup uses all of the legal channels in the 5.8GHz range but if your 5.8 FPV setup had a channel outside of that range then you might be alright. The only real way to find out how much interference you will visually notice is to try it out.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:49 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,478 Posts
That's true, I believe I was on channel 6 with my forward facing cam while using the HD downlink system for the main camera. I didn't notice anything abnormal during the flight.
Administrator
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:13 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Digital signals are scary for FPV. When you lose the connection, does it restore without a power cycle?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:41 AM
RCG Staff Member
Joined Oct 2003
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60 View Post
Digital signals are scary for FPV. When you lose the connection, does it restore without a power cycle?
It does restore, but it seems to take 15-20 seconds or longer after being back within range. Way too long for FPV flying. I'm really only recommending this for use with short range camera operation where the pilot of the aircraft is not relying on the signal to fly safely. The pilot should have line of sight to the craft and the camera operator can use the HD video feed to better see what he is filming.
Administrator