HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:17 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
That is so that you can fly it with a Futuba. That still will not allow the RTH features to work though. The model has to know where the Tx is, and it does that via some sort of receiver or transmitter in the radio itself.
Well, yeah, duh

I think i'd take a hobby-grade Tx over RTH any day
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:19 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy2 View Post
Are you talking about where you set it to 38 while the quad is powered. That is not the same. Maybe we are watching different videos. Every time I tried that the quad tried to fly away. I do know some videos may be for both but the TX calibration is not and I couldnt get the Galaxy versions instruction to calibrate the Heli Max.
The ones in the HeliMax did work .
I think so, that sounds like the rate/sensitivity setting (hold down right stick, use left stick to select rate?).

The one i'm talking about is the geomag calibration - turn on the Tx with the ICM button pressed, do the Tx spinning thing along all axes, then set the angles.
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 03:19 PM
Flyin' Ryan
theimacman's Avatar
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterrorist View Post
Well, yeah, duh

I think i'd take a hobby-grade Tx over RTH any day
Then why buy/fly the 1Si, instead of something like the 1SQ V-Cam or Blade nQX, mQX, 180 QX, 350 QX, etc, etc?

To me, the RTH stuff is the only reason to buy the 1Si.

You should be able to fly the 1Si with a Tactic Tx or AnyLink right now, if you want to sacrifice RTH.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
Registered User
Little Black Duck's Avatar
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Write-off!

G'day all,

Well unfortunately my brief time with this Quad has come to an end far more quickly than anticipated. ... Oh well!

It did not ever suffer any crash damage, because successful landings were achieved every time, which showed promise for this Little Black Duck's flying this type of aircraft.
While it worked, it actually worked very well.
It could have given me considerable enjoyment, because I reckon it has terrific potential.
I reckon that it has quite brilliant control electronics in such a small package which, in itself, is an excellent design, but which finally overall is poorly executed. It also looks good, but it is just that much too small!

However, after no more than four flights, using the relatively brief time the single single LiPo allows between recharging, one of the motors died, and could not be revived, although that was never likely to happen, as these small brushed, or coreless, motors are notorious for failing.

Therefore, I do not intend to purchase a replacement motor, or any additional batteries for it now, because their cost incl. shipping and lengthy shipping time to Oz, would make it uneconomical, and not worth the wait, especially as I'd have to buy at least four motors, cw and ccw, just in case, because in all likelihood this could happen again.

I have therefore now written it off totally as a bad buy!!!

It's a great pity IMO, that the electronics are not backed up by better mechanics, including the very flimsy battery bay door, with the wonky and difficult to fit connectors a tight fit in it, and in particular the short lived motor/s.

Also, any attempt to replace the motor/s would have been doomed to failure anyway, because, although I had decided to write it off, purely as a matter of interest I would have liked to have taken a look inside the body at the control board and wiring etc. to see how, as a piece of miniature model engineering it was put together, but here again there was another let-down. The supplied PH screwdriver didn't fit the screws, merely apparently burring their slots, or possibly the screws themselves had stripped their plastic threaded holes when originally assembled, which made it impossible to remove most of them, with successfully removing just three of the quite large number with my own miniature jewellers screwdriver. The rest refused to be removed, and I gave up trying in disgust! So that was a further disappointment.

I am now wondering whether it'd be worth while even continuing with my entry into Quad flying.
My first attempts with the Blade mQX were disappointing.
This was not because of the quad itself, but my own inability to master it's single 'Agility' mode, and was why I bought the 1Si while waiting for the new 180QX to become available here, which has supposedly addressed this problem I had, with two 'Safe' modes added, more suited to a newbie quad pilot, as well as the original 'Agility' mode when more experienced.
My worry now though is that it too has brushed motors, and that it is virtually an upgraded and almost identical to the mQX mechanically.However it's motors are available here, and I can cannibalise the mothballed mQX for parts if necessary.

Because I reckon the 1Si is just too small, a larger, probably somewhat more expensive larger version, with the same flight features, and excellent electronics, but with more reliable motors, possibly small brushless types, would be far better.
But definitely not as sophisticated as, or definitely expensive as, for instance, the larger Blade 300QX, and some other GPS controlled types, which are no doubt are all excellent in themselves.
Somewhere in between would be ideal!

Very disappointed ... This will probably be my last entry in this or the other 1Si thread. Pity!
Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Nov 16, 2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Omission and corrections
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2013
43 Posts
Just bought one of these. Love the phantom and wanted something to practice indoors with. This thing works great and really love the stability of it as well as the perk of having the camera. Great tiny little quad and my local hobby shop carried it so it was a no brainer for me.
clos8 is online now Find More Posts by clos8
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 02:13 AM
Registered User
Little Black Duck's Avatar
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
If they were available here, incl. spare parts and LiPos, from my LHS, I would not hesitate to revive it, always assuming anyone can actually take it apart! But I don't think this will be possible without damaging the airframe
But overall my original criticism still stands.
Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:05 AM
Registered User
handy2's Avatar
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterrorist View Post
I think so, that sounds like the rate/sensitivity setting (hold down right stick, use left stick to select rate?).

The one i'm talking about is the geomag calibration - turn on the Tx with the ICM button pressed, do the Tx spinning thing along all axes, then set the angles.
So the video geomag calibration is the same as Heli Max transmitter calibration. But the Galaxy also has a TX calibration video that is totally different. Confused yet?
The Galaxy seems to have more adjustments that can be made. And they call somethings different from from the Heli Max.
handy2 is offline Find More Posts by handy2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:15 AM
Registered User
handy2's Avatar
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
G'day all,

Well unfortunately my brief time with this Quad has come to an end far more quickly than anticipated. ... Oh well!

It did not ever suffer any crash damage, because successful landings were achieved every time, which showed promise for this Little Black Duck's flying this type of aircraft.
While it worked, it actually worked very well.
It could have given me considerable enjoyment, because I reckon it has terrific potential.
I reckon that it has quite brilliant control electronics in such a small package which, in itself, is an excellent design, but which finally overall is poorly executed. It also looks good, but it is just that much too small!

However, after no more than four flights, using the relatively brief time the single single LiPo allows between recharging, one of the motors died, and could not be revived, although that was never likely to happen, as these small brushed, or coreless, motors are notorious for failing.

Therefore, I do not intend to purchase a replacement motor, or any additional batteries for it now, because their cost incl. shipping and lengthy shipping time to Oz, would make it uneconomical, and not worth the wait, especially as I'd have to buy at least four motors, cw and ccw, just in case, because in all likelihood this could happen again.

I have therefore now written it off totally as a bad buy!!!

It's a great pity IMO, that the electronics are not backed up by better mechanics, including the very flimsy battery bay door, with the wonky and difficult to fit connectors a tight fit in it, and in particular the short lived motor/s.

Also, any attempt to replace the motor/s would have been doomed to failure anyway, because, although I had decided to write it off, purely as a matter of interest I would have liked to have taken a look inside the body at the control board and wiring etc. to see how, as a piece of miniature model engineering it was put together, but here again there was another let-down. The supplied PH screwdriver didn't fit the screws, merely apparently burring their slots, or possibly the screws themselves had stripped their plastic threaded holes when originally assembled, which made it impossible to remove most of them, with successfully removing just three of the quite large number with my own miniature jewellers screwdriver. The rest refused to be removed, and I gave up trying in disgust! So that was a further disappointment.

I am now wondering whether it'd be worth while even continuing with my entry into Quad flying.
My first attempts with the Blade mQX were disappointing.
This was not because of the quad itself, but my own inability to master it's single 'Agility' mode, and was why I bought the 1Si while waiting for the new 180QX to become available here, which has supposedly addressed this problem I had, with two 'Safe' modes added, more suited to a newbie quad pilot, as well as the original 'Agility' mode when more experienced.
My worry now though is that it too has brushed motors, and that it is virtually an upgraded and almost identical to the mQX mechanically.However it's motors are available here, and I can cannibalise the mothballed mQX for parts if necessary.

Because I reckon the 1Si is just too small, a larger, probably somewhat more expensive larger version, with the same flight features, and excellent electronics, but with more reliable motors, possibly small brushless types, would be far better.
But definitely not as sophisticated as, or definitely expensive as, for instance, the larger Blade 300QX, and some other GPS controlled types, which are no doubt are all excellent in themselves.
Somewhere in between would be ideal!

Very disappointed ... This will probably be my last entry in this or the other 1Si thread. Pity!
Daffy.
wow sorry for your misfortune. Wont the place you bought it from send you a new motor free?
I do agree withe the battery door stuff.
I will also add I have 10 quads and 10 helis. Been flying for a year every day and have yet to lose a motor. Now I hardly ever fly anything without a 5 minute rest switching to another model and I
don't push for the longest flight time. But I know its just a matter of time
handy2 is offline Find More Posts by handy2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
jtravel's Avatar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
If they were available here, incl. spare parts and LiPos, from my LHS, I would not hesitate to revive it, always assuming anyone can actually take it apart! But I don't think this will be possible without damaging the airframe
But overall my original criticism still stands.
Daffy.
I would see if your vendor will send you a replacement the motor. These brushed motors are not the best and some will fail that's just a fact we all live with. It's a nine Eagles clone and I would expect replacement motors to be available before too long from Vendors in China for low cost or free shipping.
Screws will strip out in plastic from time to time. Get under the screw head with tweezers and force it up and out as you turn it. I then put a little dab of gel super glue in the stripped hole and let dry. then I reassemble and it normally hold fine.
worst case you use a little dab of super glue on the screw to hold it in place.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 04:26 PM
Registered User
handy2's Avatar
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
973 Posts
Daffy
Someone else returned there quad cause the motor was so hot it almost burned him he claimed. Wont the place that you got it from at least send a free motor . Id like to know where you bought it so I can avoid them if they have no customer support. What about the manufacturer. I would not give up without trying
I have problem screws on many quads and find a tiny standard style screwdriver works better than the Phillips type.
handy2 is offline Find More Posts by handy2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:55 PM
Zipties and Velcro
Switchy's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Mar 2013
595 Posts
Tower has motors.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AdvancedSearch
Switchy is offline Find More Posts by Switchy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 02:46 AM
Registered User
Little Black Duck's Avatar
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
G'day again,

I can't let this go without thanking those who commiserated with the early demise of either one of the 1Si's motors, or possibly the electronics driving it on the Control Board. Which means I'll unfortunately probably be obliged to write it off permanently.

1 - However the main problem is, in the first place, and most importantly, I have been unable to crack open the bodywork to get at the faulty motor to remove and replace it!
There are no instructions in the manual how this is done, when, and if necessary, any replacement parts need to be fitted ... Only the exploded diagram gives a very rough guide.
In any event I have been unable to remove any screws, except four, when attempting to do this. The rest remain frozen in place, and refuse to come free.

2 - Motors for it are unavailable here in Oz, and shipping just one from the USA to Oz would be expensive ... not worth the effort. Although probably buying a full set may be both more economical ... and may be a good idea after my less than one hour's flying time before one of them gave up the ghost! .

On top of this it is also virtually impossible to ship in more of the right sized, genuine Heli-Max connector equipped LiPos from the USA either due to the shipping restrictions now in place ... Except with exorbitant additional shipping costs. And I will not consider a possible Chinese equivalent from China, or HongKong ... although having written that, the genuine Heli-Max LiPos probably originate from there anyway!

I think I will now save my pennies and, after getting the smaller, but brushed motor equipped 180QX that I already have on order from my LHS ... when it eventually becomes available here. ... I will probably end up with something like a Hornet.
We'll see?

Therefore, to cut a long story a bit shorter, this will probably be the end of my 1Si, unless they do become available here ... And, obviously, I find some way to crack it's shell.

Appreciate the interest, but Oz is obviously not a desirable destination for anyone thinking of buying this model here ... yet anyway!

Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 03:03 AM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
Then why buy/fly the 1Si, instead of something like the 1SQ V-Cam or Blade nQX, mQX, 180 QX, 350 QX, etc, etc?
#1, don't have any DSM gear... #2, don't like the hiked-up prices that Blade stuff commands, when there are cheaper comparable options.

i didn't buy the GV2 for its extras like RTH, i'm more a sucker for early-adopter punishment!
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 03:05 AM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
Appreciate the interest, but Oz is obviously not a desirable destination for anyone thinking of buying this model here ... yet anyway!

Daffy.
well i'm down in NZ and found the GV2 (1Si) easily enough online

motors appear to be the same 7mm coreless types that the Hubsan X4 uses? i haven't pulled one out to check its length though. BG have those for cheap, mountains of them.
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 03:28 AM
Registered User
Regina, SK
Joined Nov 2006
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Black Duck View Post
G'day all,

Well unfortunately my brief time with this Quad has come to an end far more quickly than anticipated. ... Oh well!

It did not ever suffer any crash damage, because successful landings were achieved every time, which showed promise for this Little Black Duck's flying this type of aircraft.
While it worked, it actually worked very well.
It could have given me considerable enjoyment, because I reckon it has terrific potential.
I reckon that it has quite brilliant control electronics in such a small package which, in itself, is an excellent design, but which finally overall is poorly executed. It also looks good, but it is just that much too small!

However, after no more than four flights, using the relatively brief time the single single LiPo allows between recharging, one of the motors died, and could not be revived, although that was never likely to happen, as these small brushed, or coreless, motors are notorious for failing.

Therefore, I do not intend to purchase a replacement motor, or any additional batteries for it now, because their cost incl. shipping and lengthy shipping time to Oz, would make it uneconomical, and not worth the wait, especially as I'd have to buy at least four motors, cw and ccw, just in case, because in all likelihood this could happen again.

I have therefore now written it off totally as a bad buy!!!

It's a great pity IMO, that the electronics are not backed up by better mechanics, including the very flimsy battery bay door, with the wonky and difficult to fit connectors a tight fit in it, and in particular the short lived motor/s.

Also, any attempt to replace the motor/s would have been doomed to failure anyway, because, although I had decided to write it off, purely as a matter of interest I would have liked to have taken a look inside the body at the control board and wiring etc. to see how, as a piece of miniature model engineering it was put together, but here again there was another let-down. The supplied PH screwdriver didn't fit the screws, merely apparently burring their slots, or possibly the screws themselves had stripped their plastic threaded holes when originally assembled, which made it impossible to remove most of them, with successfully removing just three of the quite large number with my own miniature jewellers screwdriver. The rest refused to be removed, and I gave up trying in disgust! So that was a further disappointment.

I am now wondering whether it'd be worth while even continuing with my entry into Quad flying.
My first attempts with the Blade mQX were disappointing.
This was not because of the quad itself, but my own inability to master it's single 'Agility' mode, and was why I bought the 1Si while waiting for the new 180QX to become available here, which has supposedly addressed this problem I had, with two 'Safe' modes added, more suited to a newbie quad pilot, as well as the original 'Agility' mode when more experienced.
My worry now though is that it too has brushed motors, and that it is virtually an upgraded and almost identical to the mQX mechanically.However it's motors are available here, and I can cannibalise the mothballed mQX for parts if necessary.

Because I reckon the 1Si is just too small, a larger, probably somewhat more expensive larger version, with the same flight features, and excellent electronics, but with more reliable motors, possibly small brushless types, would be far better.
But definitely not as sophisticated as, or definitely expensive as, for instance, the larger Blade 300QX, and some other GPS controlled types, which are no doubt are all excellent in themselves.
Somewhere in between would be ideal!

Very disappointed ... This will probably be my last entry in this or the other 1Si thread. Pity!
Daffy.
Why not buy an NQX? It's a great little flier and perfect for indoors. If you don't have a computer radio, that might be also worth considering because then you can adjust the responsiveness to suit your own taste. The 'toy' radios are adequate, but then you get what you pay for with those. Some models you just need something better.

Rob
Rob_G is offline Find More Posts by Rob_G
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Heli-Max 1SI Quadcopter SLT Mikemynameis Mini Multirotors 313 Aug 16, 2014 09:50 PM
For Sale Heli-Max 1SQ Quadcopter Tx-R - Like New $60 Shipped PontiusPilate Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Aug 08, 2013 01:02 AM
For Sale like New Heli-Max Quadcopter $67 shipped centergod79 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 9 Jul 18, 2013 11:51 AM
For Sale like New Heli-Max Quadcopter $67 shipped centergod79 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 31, 2013 02:59 PM
Sold Heli-Max 1SQ Quadcopter 2.4GHz RTF like new reptileman Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Jan 14, 2013 11:48 AM