Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:55 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts
Hacking the Pentax Optio S4

Hi, I decided to tackle this one because it seems to come the closest to being the perfect AP camera under 5oz in todays market. I will need a little advice though. Taking it apart is dead easy. It just takes a little patience.
Extremeone is offline Find More Posts by Extremeone
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:56 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

Of course you want to take out the SD card and the battery first. Also, make sure the lens is retracted.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:57 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

This shot shows the bottom of the camera and the only screw that must come out is the second one on the right. It is just above the 3 in the serial number and is on the far side of the case by itself.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:58 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

The next two pictures are of both ends and both screws must come out on each end. That is it for screws.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:59 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

The other end.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:00 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

Gently start to separate the case at the bottom first. There are no screws holding it together on top but there are a couple of raised dimples that snap into small holes to connect it on top. Getting the bottom out a bit releases these little bumps from their nesting places.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:01 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

After the bottom is moved out about 1/4 inch the top should release with a little coaxing. It just slides right off.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:02 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

Here is is fully removed. The front of the case you just removed is so thin and light that leaving it off and enclosing the rig in shrink wrap would add weight.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:03 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

Here is the camera with the front case completely off. It is upside down in this picture so you can see the power and shutter switches on the lower right side.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

This next picture shows the camera upright with the lens facing you. The battery compartment is exposed. The lid for the the battery compartment is still attached and is closed at the bottom of the compartment. The lid has the numbers on it. The switches are top left. From this angle the left button is power and the right one is the shutter.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:06 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

These next two pictures show the buttons much more clearly. Those two little U shaped objects under the PCB are the battery contacts and the battery eject spring is on the left. The left button is power and the right is the shutter. The piece of foam between the buttons is attached to the white insulating plastic extending to the left of the foam and around the power switch. This insulates these components from the flash capacitor that is just under the white material. I removed the black piece of foam and the white plastic with it. It is like tape so it will stick right back on later. The first picture is from the front and the second is from the top.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

Top.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

This next picture shows the switches and the ribbon cables with the insulation removed. This is as far as I have proceeded until I can make some tests to be sure I am connecting to the right place. I just want to install one of Michele Schiepetti's switches to operate the shutter. This camera will let you focus manually, turn off the shutdown timer, turn off the flash, and even turn off the display. It has a memory to save all your preferences so all you have to do is power it up and go. I intend to use a video link to preview shots through the USB port and may have to leave the display turned for that to work. I haven't checked that out yet. Right now I am trying to figure out where to tap in the switch to operate the shutter. Any advice will be appreciated. I have included pictures from all angles to provide some information on how the ribbon cable traces are laid out.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:11 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
925 Posts

Two.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:11 PM
Suspended Account
Ocala, Florida