HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2001, 04:12 AM
Fly fast and turn left!!
Bruxelles/Uccle
Joined Dec 2001
169 Posts
Any subjection on power system for F5D ?

Hi, I・m trying to get in to F5D as the local flying field can・t allow me to fly my F3D model because of the engine noise! And I need to get some practice so thinking of using F5D as they fly pretty quick also. I・m a experience pilot but only in glow power. Thanks for any help you guys can help!!
Georges from Hong Kong.
gouang is offline Find More Posts by gouang
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2001, 09:26 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Well, firstly, F5D models are not exactly quiet. When I started, the noise was described to me by an F3D pilot as just like the noise from F3D but heard from two fields away. Most of the noise is prop noise as F5D models are turning higher rpms than F3D.

Your best bet would be a Hacker F5D motor (the carbon case version). See it at http://www.hacker-motor.com/english/englisch.html Couple it with a Kontronic controller from http://www.kontronik.com/gate_engl.htm and seven good RC2400 cells (zapped and matched). Put them in an Avionik F5D model (also called Stinger F5D) which can be got from various places, including http://fly.to/flying_solutions Start with a 5x5 prop and increase prop size until the cells just last for ten laps.

Enjoy and let us know how you get on.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Dec 11, 2001, 07:13 PM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts
sort of f5d

To the best of my knowlege there is no f5d competion in the Republic of Ireland but it may exist in the north of Ireland and as a result in order to try to kick start it here I have chosen to introduse it at a lowwer specifation plane which does not seem to produce that much noise as a side affect result

Plane chosen is Aeronaut FOX with Aeronaut carbon folder prop 6*6 cut down to 5.5*6 on motor graupner 500 with 8*800ars

Twenty flights later this has proved to be a lot hotter than lots of s400 type pylons but low wing loading results in surviable crashes three serios crashes to date and prop noise is quite low in fact whistle on low dive passes is louder

Several club members have expressed interest in this configeration as the plane size is larger didnt like my small s400 raz faz on ten cells and were impressed with my totol lack of damage on my third crash verticial 200feet dive buried plane into soft earth
Didnt break anything spinner or otherwise (took five minutes to pull fuse out of the mud ) folding props fold up but unfold when you pull hard on the stuck in the mud fusealage

but put several stress cracks into under surface of left wing so have decided to never carry 7*2400 cells in case crack will split wing with higher wing loading

Speed wise plane is fast so am looking to make simple two pole circuit 100 meteres with 5 complete circuits or one kilometer for first heats and 6 to 10 circuits depending on test results of this configeration for final heat with same type of battery must be used for all heats with a simple low wing loading rule and max battery weight of 8*800ars(250) grams

I hope with these simple rules that more people will partake of sports pylon flying here

ps this also make a magic slope soarer and made the multiplex foames JET look so sluggish they packed up and went home at my local slope dont like being made look like snails

Fly realy low and realy fast and swat the (slow) Moskites

David in Ireland
thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing
Old Dec 14, 2001, 06:37 AM
Fly fast and turn left!!
Bruxelles/Uccle
Joined Dec 2001
169 Posts
Thank you

Dear Dave and Thin wing
Thank you very much for your help, I just got the hacker F5D motor today but the shop did not have kontronic as they are out of stock since very long time and don・t know when they will get them so the owner told me to get a schulze future 88Po witch I did! , hope this will work, probably will get the model next week, will test it ASAP, wait for the news..
Thanks again.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 08:40 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Schulze is good too. I use both Kontronic and Schulze.

When you get to the test flying stage, make sure you find someone who knows how to hand launch a fast model with a high wing loading.

Too many first flights with this type of model end in disaster because of a bad launch. Check out Troy's advice on handlaunching. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=handlaunching
Last edited by DaveSawers; Dec 14, 2001 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 09:10 AM
Fly fast and turn left!!
Bruxelles/Uccle
Joined Dec 2001
169 Posts
Kontronic and Schulze

Dear Dave
thanks again, what's the diference betwin the 2 brand? did you find one better then the other?
thanks again!!
georges
Old Dec 14, 2001, 03:42 PM
F5D father
Vantaa, Finland
Joined Mar 2001
441 Posts
No more Flying solutions...

I tried to order an Avionik from this Swedish guy. He rplied that due to time restraints he has closed down the shop. Should take down the website too, then!
Tuomas Pietinen is offline Find More Posts by Tuomas Pietinen
Old Dec 14, 2001, 05:57 PM
ireland
Joined Apr 2001
250 Posts
get a bungee

Good to see you got a hot engine but this hand launch buisness is bad news so I avoid it with my bungee from my e jet turbines

I made a small hook just behind folder prop pull hard on bungee with plane in right hand and release ....... and it goes for it after several milliseconds to get my right hand back on to the control stick then on with engine left hand and gone
(I should have been a gun slinging cowboy with my quick right hand)

These f5d planes track like arrows never a problem and one click up trim ensures plane tracks up slightly

Bungee works on fixxed prop with brake ESC switched on but a little more tendency to roll slightly until engine is switched on

Hand launching requires a good f5d type launcher who knows how to launch these things I have witnessed at races in europe many bad launches resulting in broken planes so if you know a good launcher stick with him
(at competions you do find a lot of very compent launchers but sports use at clubs is a recipe for a prang so invest in a bungee for club flying and train in a launcher for practicing the competion s launching

This year my fox accumulated 20 flights plus but six hand launch atttempts to date have all resulted in a prang but I dont have your type of hot motor YET but january will purchace Kontronic and march ESC brushless if my credit card can stand the heat hot as hell right now

fly low and fast turn left and scratch the planet with your wing tip

David
thin wing is offline Find More Posts by thin wing
Old Dec 20, 2001, 06:38 AM
Fly fast and turn left!!
Bruxelles/Uccle
Joined Dec 2001
169 Posts
what kind of charger you use?

Hi, what is the best charger on the market for charging a F5D flight pack?
i see so many different one and I can't make up a good decision????
What will be the charger to be competitive in a world champ?
Thanks again.
Georges
Old Dec 20, 2001, 09:21 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Schulze.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 04:43 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Re: what kind of charger you use?

Quote:
Originally posted by gouang
Hi, what is the best charger on the market for charging a F5D flight pack?
The best??

Look into the Hong Kong R/C magazine, I picked one up last time I went back to visit(used to live there), There is a company (AMD??) makes the charger for Robbe(the Infinity II). Their charger is painted yellowish green.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Dec 22, 2001, 12:51 PM
Fly fast and turn left!!
Bruxelles/Uccle
Joined Dec 2001
169 Posts
I have been charging the same battery (:Robbe 2.4k 7 cells:I think it a Sanyo 2400mah) on 3 different chargers.
KO Bx 212, I get 2800mah. ( made in Japan)
Charger king CK201 I get 2750mah ( made in Taiwan)
Shulze isl6 330d I get only 2300 mah ( made in Germany)
But when I test the batery pack after etch charge on a motor with a prop on the ground, the 3 results have only 2-second difference in running time, same rpm? Did any one try to test the different chargers? Because you can get a charger at 60USD and you can also get a charger at 800USD, apart from the different functions and displays, if we simply just want to charge a 9 cell 1700mah battery or a 7 cell 2400 mah pack, do we really get more juice in the pack on a 800USD charger then a 60usd charges?
It will be interesting if some one can try to test the different charger on the market to see what is the actual difference in the charging result on the same battery.

Also, can any one tell me a source to get the GM racing batteries?
Happy X・mas to all
Georges
Old Dec 22, 2001, 02:47 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
The GM racing battery is probably Sanyo battery. Team Orion battery(massaged Sanyo's) is the best. I think Graupner accquired GM Racing. The GM Racing speed controler is amde by Kontronic.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan