HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2013, 04:46 PM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2010
435 Posts
They have CW and CCW for a reason. It depends on how the finger brushes lay on the armature. Run the wrong way and they will not last long.
HELIRON69 is offline Find More Posts by HELIRON69
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakrat961 View Post
"Listed" rotation shouldn't matter, just wire 'em backwards. No?

I'm not sure how long the motors brushes would last if spinning the opposite direction intended. I haven't taken any time to experiment with that, but I remember a few folks unhappy with the longevity of some Horizon/Blade mQX motors and trying the opposite brushed version. As I recall some had reasonable success, but as flimsy as these pager motor brushes are I would not expect the same results when spinning towards and pushing the wiper/brushes into their mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakrat961 View Post

I actually want to try replacing all four motors with THIS one: http://www.microflight.com/Online-Ca...Coreless-Motor

I'm curious to see how the lower resistance and different size motor affect performance. I have two bum-motors on mine already (I guess I'm kinda rough with it), so I don't have much to lose by tearing it apart.

I also would not want to experiment with trying to stuff a 7mm X 16.5mm motor into the flimsy frame of the Proto when the mounting holes for 6mm X 12mm are already making that area the weakest point on the whole quad. But enjoy to hear how and if that works out. You are also talking about a 2.9 gram motor X 4 vs 1.3 gram motor X 4 weight difference. Oh Well.
I anxiously await your results.

But ENJOY every experiment as if it may be your last.

John

http://www.microflight.com/Online-Ca...Coreless-Motor

Motor Specifications
Motor 3.3ohm

Case Size 7mm x 16.5mm
Wire Length 60mm
Connector Type 1.27mm Nano
Suggested Propeller Tri-Turbofan Prop
Shaft Size 1mm
Weight 2.9g

Current draw with suggested prop about 500mA
Thrust with suggested prop estimated 11 grams static thrust

These are great little Motors, a direct replacement for the SS Orange (same motor) and has a Micro Connector are pre-installed. These motors have long 60mm leads for easy installation. 1mm Shaft. 2.9g
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Dec 01, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2013, 11:00 PM
I make planes I want to fly
Southern Cal.
Joined Mar 2004
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

I'm not sure how long the motors brushes would last if spinning the opposite direction intended. I haven't taken any time to experiment with that, but I remember a few folks unhappy with the longevity of some Horizon/Blade mQX motors and trying the opposite brushed version. As I recall some had reasonable success, but as flimsy as these pager motor brushes are I would not expect the same results when spinning towards and pushing the wiper/brushes into their mounts.

I also would not want to experiment with trying to stuff a 7mm X 16.5mm motor into the flimsy frame of the Proto when the mounting holes for 6mm X 12mm are already making that area the weakest point on the whole quad. But enjoy to hear how and if that works out. You are also talking about a 2.9 gram motor X 4 vs 1.3 gram motor X 4 weight difference. Oh Well.
I anxiously await your results.

But ENJOY every experiment as if it may be your last.

John
You clearly haven't seen how many of my previous experiments have turned out... ::cough::lawn darts::cough:: But I learned something about every crash!

I don't think I'd call the motor mounts the weakest part of the Proto-X, and I certainly wouldn't call it flimsy. I got caught in an updraft outdoors, lost control and it fell about 30ft onto asphalt; no damage. I was able to buffer it a little with some last minute thrust right before impact, but it felt the majority of the fall directly. Pretty tough little bird. If anything, I'd peg the motors themselves as the weakest link in the whole system, besides having a loose mount.

Also, I wouldn't stuff the bigger motor through the original little hole, I'd probably figure out how to just mount them on top of the frame (hotglue to the rescue)

Another challenge would be fitting the props onto the 1mm shaft; I don't think I have a 1mm drill bit...

Maybe I'll get some play-money for Christmas and try it out. Heck, if it works, and produces more thrust, we may have a candidate for Tiniest Quad-Cam! (hey, I can daydream)
Mid7night is offline Find More Posts by Mid7night
Old Dec 01, 2013, 11:05 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,598 Posts
FYI

Even THiS much adjustment helps!!! I may glue them there. Just carefully pull them up.
Kev71H is online now Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Dec 02, 2013, 07:37 AM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedRick View Post
I wonder if the extra weight will affect motor life.

How is the COG with those batts? Does the gyro take over?
The use of the large-er batteries was more of an experiment than anything just to see if they would work. Since having found the Hobbytown Ares 100mah battery (with wire & connector configured RTF) I tend to only use them now.

Having said that, when using the BIG batteries that hang over the front... I needed to compensate by clicking the rear trim to balance it out in a hover. FYI when using the largerest 200mah, it took as much as 18 clicks to the rear to trim it out

BTW I realise I could have turned the battery sideways and mounted it that way (with making a longer wire) for better COG but it wasn't worth the effort at the time... just buy the Ares batteries and you'll simply have plug & play.
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Old Dec 02, 2013, 10:49 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,826 Posts
Hey pilots, anyone know where to buy replacement propellers for this little quad yet? Too many back pages to read through! Thanks everyone!
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2013, 10:54 AM
Oldie, not Moldie
United States, MI, Leonard
Joined Feb 2012
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Hey pilots, anyone know where to buy replacement propellers for this little quad yet? Too many back pages to read through! Thanks everyone!
Bought some from Tower Hobbies last week...
Ssayer is online now Find More Posts by Ssayer
Old Dec 02, 2013, 02:55 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,972 Posts
I could not trim/stabilize my Proto X quad. Hobby shop folk checked mine out and attempted to fly it and finally determined that the stabilization system was not working, gave me a replacement Proto X quad that is more stable and controllable.

Something I didn't know being new to quads: The black props on the rear and gray props on the front have to have opposite pitch. Look at a new quad as it comes out of the box. When replacing a broken or missing prop, be sure that replacement has pitch opposite to the other one. Black props to the rear and grays to the front. Props are marked A or B (hard to see) and should be installed per the drawing in the instruction sheet.

BTW, I'm still stuggling with my replacement Proto X , have not been able to trim it for steady hover so far, getting lots of exercise moving furniture to retrieve it. The Hubsan X-4 or other compatible transmitter would probably make it easier to control.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Dec 04, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2013, 05:28 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssayer View Post
Bought some from Tower Hobbies last week...
Replacement batt LINK?? Please? Thanks!

Old Dec 02, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
Replacement batt LINK?? Please? Thanks!

Use thread search or check Hobbytown USA for Ares Chronos CX 75 battery part# AZSH1156

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 02, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
308 Posts
COOL TOY !

Got mine on Sunday ; can't charge it Fast enough ; Best $29.99
i ever spent and I'll be doing that battery Mod soon !!!

I figure that if i take some 12K carbon tow with saturated epoxy
i can wrap this thing just like the circuit board does around
the motors. That board is Heavy, the 12K ain't. I could add 25%
to the diameter, and still loose 0.25g over-all ; i'd twist the carbon
to get rid of epoxy, and tighten the fibers together.

http://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=4958

Another option is to braid three tows of 3K together ; the braid
would be stronger than the 12K twisted, so Ya need Less of it ---
it's a Better fiber arrangement

Did Ya know that carbon is a conductor ; or place your wire inside
the braid and isolate it from the circuit board . Speaking of braided carbon sleeves ; this place has a 1/4" sleeve of carbon, that will pull down to 0.09" diameter when stretched.

http://solarcomposites.com/composite...20sleeves.html

Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Old Dec 02, 2013, 09:08 PM
RCMCConline com
Joined Apr 2002
3,598 Posts
Where to buy from at $29.00???
Old Dec 02, 2013, 09:52 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
Where to buy from at $29.00???
I was just wondering the same thing!
groan is online now Find More Posts by groan
Old Dec 02, 2013, 10:13 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,467 Posts
I fly mostly medium sized .homemade. .stuff, and the Proto-X blows my mind! Add to that, it flies pretty decent.

However, I would really like to try a hubsan controller, as my mini doesn't engage the yaw until the stick is thrown past ~50% of TDC on the left and around 40% on the right.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Dec 03, 2013, 01:10 AM
Drag and Destroy
United States, KY, Stanford
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
still looking for replacement motor...mine sits on the work bench
kymoonshine is offline Find More Posts by kymoonshine