SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:43 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Fpv

No FPV yet but just video with my keycam.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:59 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
1,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringfly View Post
no fpv yet but just video with my keycam.

stringfly <>+++++
lmao!
DaddyBigas is offline Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Hi Gang
I have been enjoying the little Proto X Nano, along with it's big brother the Hubsan X4, Blade nano QX, a Helimax 1SQ, and a Vitality H36 from massiverc.com.

My main problem so far was very weak charge from the Proto's cheap USB charger cable.

I fixed that by taking the battery off of the quad and charging it on a Horizon/E-flite/Blade 1S charger. I also ordered 3 of the little 110 mAH batteries that were for the Ares Chronos CX 75 mini helicopter. They have the same E-flite type battery connector and fit just fine on the Proto X.

They are just $4.99 at Hobbytown USA locations.

John

jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Nov 23, 2013, 02:52 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2013
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprop View Post
i've had no problems with mine except a little loose motors mounts. doesn't affect it's flight performance but should be tighter fitment. propellers are a weak point as they are very small and thin thus very easy to damage and as with any quad, prop balance is very important. i'm having no issues with flight time but do not fly until lvc kicks in.
Thanks to who ever suggested a small band of heat shrink on the top of the motor mounts. It works great to tighten them up !
Mintakax is offline Find More Posts by Mintakax
Old Nov 23, 2013, 04:35 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will2fly View Post
Hello from the new kid on the thread, loving it! Just catching up with how many people are having loose motors popping out, a bit underwhelming when happened with my precious! I did a quick heat-shrink mod on the motor mounts, just a tiny circle around the tops of the mounts to keep the too-optimistically designed fingers holding fast in minor dust-ups. Sorry pic is a bit murky, so far the fix seems to do no harm and the motors are staying put...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintakax View Post
Thanks to who ever suggested a small band of heat shrink on the top of the motor mounts. It works great to tighten them up !
That was will2fly and I thank him for the suggestion as well. I had some clear heat shrink just the right size, you can't even see it when it's in place and the motors are very secure.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Last edited by 1Hammer; Nov 23, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Gang
I have been enjoying the little Proto X Nano, along with it's big brother the Hubsan X4, Blade nano QX, a Helimax 1SQ, and a Vitality H36 from massiverc.com.

My main problem so far was very weak charge from the Proto's cheap USB charger cable.

I fixed that by taking the battery off of the quad and charging it on a Horizon/E-flite/Blade 1S charger. I also ordered 3 of the little 110 mAH batteries that were for the Ares Chronos CX 75 mini helicopter. They have the same E-flite type battery connector and fit just fine on the Proto X.

John

Let's take a poll... What's everyone getting for average charge vs run time and what type of USB port are you using? I feel as though my charge and run times are both shorter than they should be.

I'll start...

Charge: 10-15 min
Run: 3-4 min
USB: 5.0v , .85A
twilsey is online now Find More Posts by twilsey
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
That was will2fly and I thank him for the suggestion as well. I had some clear heat shrink just the right size, you can't even see it when it's in place and the motors are very secure.

Regards,
John
This morning I put a dab of hot glue in the joint between each motor mount and proto board, per advice earlier in this thread. I had one motor mount that wiggled the tinniest bit in the board, the glue firmed it all up and it def improved stability (or I'm just getting more experience flying this rascal), probably a little of both :-)
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2013
352 Posts
I crash my nano Qx just as much as the proto, but the prop protectors have really done their job on the nano. I wish the proto had them. Would it detract from the design ?
Mintakax is offline Find More Posts by Mintakax
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Gang

John

What is everyone getting for Charge/Run times? I'm getting around 10-15min for a charge and 3-4min run time. I feel like it should be charging longer?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:56 PM
Drag and Destroy
United States, KY, Stanford
Joined Nov 2006
159 Posts
Well it finally died...or at least it's injured..one of the wires running from the frame to one of the motors pulled out of the motor...guess I will see about opening it up and trying to fix it..but I fear it is doubtful...I had so much fun at my work I am going to miss this thing...I am thinking about getting a Blade Nano QX to fly around inside work...
kymoonshine is offline Find More Posts by kymoonshine
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:05 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,870 Posts
Did anyone find replacement motors? Shouldn't be too hard to locate.. And soldering to the arms should be easy.

Mine started getting a little sqiurrely. Needed a bunch of trim and would dip hard when piro'ing. I replaced all four props and noticed that a couple of the original ones were on loosely. The replacements fit tight and it flew perfect again. I might drop a tiny CA into the originals and let it dry to tighten them up a bit.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 24, 2013, 05:33 AM
United States, PA, Shippensburg
Joined Feb 2010
437 Posts
Elmer's glue works better. Use a toothpick or something else with a small diameter and work it into the hole. Let it dry overnight. Makes it fit good as new.
HELIRON69 is offline Find More Posts by HELIRON69
Old Nov 24, 2013, 06:31 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,589 Posts
+1 also first roughen up the motor shafts a bit using an Emory board or a piece of sand paper before applying the Elmer's glue.
--Gluing micro props on motor shafts 101
Cheers.
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIRON69 View Post
Elmer's glue works better. Use a toothpick or something else with a small diameter and work it into the hole. Let it dry overnight. Makes it fit good as new.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Nov 24, 2013, 07:26 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,870 Posts
Elmer's! Good call! Thanks
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
Thanks for all of the advice on nQX vs. Proto X for beginner use.

Now, how come the nQX is more highly recommended? I would have though that the Proto X is easier to fly indoors since it's about 1/4 the size of the nQX, so it would feel like small rooms are bigger and it would be easier not to bump into things.
No parts available for proto x at this time
handy2 is online now Find More Posts by handy2