Old Nov 03, 2013, 08:42 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi C,
It will bind, but for $40 you would be able to get the Tx and X4 both at other stores like $33 @ Banggood, or $36 @ TMart.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Hi jim long time no talk.lol I seen that thanks for the info.....cd
crashdumby is offline Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Nov 03, 2013, 08:55 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga
Joined Apr 2013
343 Posts
One of the pins in the quad-end of the usb cable has disappeared into the housing and I cant charge it now. Debating if I want to try the warranty or just break the plug open and fix it myself.

Be careful with the plug, it's not nearly as durable as the quad!

Edit: debate is over... plug is mangled, quad is charging. Couldn't resist
mjru is offline Find More Posts by mjru
Last edited by mjru; Nov 03, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 12:01 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
It does make me wonder though what the binding process would be with the X4 TX and also if the tiny TX with this would bind with the X4?
The binding process is simple... just turn on the Proto X, then turn on the Tx. They link up almost immediately.

And, yep, you can fly the X4 with the tiny Proto X Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby View Post
Yes, but as already said, that is way too expensive... you could get an entire X4 and Tx, or just the Tx, for much less:

http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-X4-H1...6-p-89080.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomo View Post
Finally, out of curiosity - I wanted to see if proto x would bind with my X4 TX and amazingly it; BEEPED at the bind cycle and was able to fly it more comfortably...
So there you go folks, try it!!
Welcome to the thread... we've been talking about that for several pages now.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Nov 03, 2013, 12:26 PM
Auntie Gravity left me hangin'
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post
It is very twitchy.
But it's so cool anyway!!
As others have mentioned, extending the "sticks" on the stock TX tones down the twitchiness quite a bit. I use the X4 TX most of the time, but the little guy is a handy pocket TX on the go.

The stock thingies are press fit so they pop right off. I used the top half of some spare Futaba/Spektrum 3M x 0.5 thread alloy sticks. With a little care, you can "tap" the stock sticks with the alloy extensions, allowing the latter to screw on and off.

Uncle Gravity is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Old Nov 03, 2013, 02:55 PM
dead sexy
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2006
395 Posts

Picked up mine today at greathobbies.com atht e local hobby shop.
This thing is so amazingly tiny. One of the employees was playing with it when I got in the store.
Here are a few shots. I have yet to fly it.

Here is my mod for the sticks.

groan is online now Find More Posts by groan
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:09 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,820 Posts
You can get a transmitter here in the us
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190879960146...84.m1423.l2649
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:36 PM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
Hi guys,

I thought I'd share what I do to power my Proto X.

Thankfully, Estes included a socket to plug the battery in, instead of just doing a direct solder of the battery leads to the board, hey

I've been flying with all these different size batteries from the stocker (100mah) to a 120mah to 160mah to even the big 200mah onboard for almost a week now. Since I can easily externally charge the batteries (with my Blade Nano Celectra chargers), I always can have a battery ready to fly... couldn't stand that fly for 5 mins and then wait for a charge 25 mins to fly again

I also recommend (like others have) using the X4 TX because it just flys/controls sooo much better.

Check out the vid I made of flying @ the Mall...

IMG 2883 (1 min 4 sec)
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Last edited by 3vw; Nov 03, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:00 PM
Oldie, not Moldie
United States, MI, Leonard
Joined Feb 2012
899 Posts
Good use for the "antenna" from my Hubsan X4
Name: 20131103_185232.jpg
Views: 215
Size: 174.6 KB
Description: Good use for the X4's antenna  ;)
Ssayer is offline Find More Posts by Ssayer
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3vw View Post
you could go through the escalator and exit from the top storey. pity what not one flip
what kind of battery is there on board?
danunax is offline Find More Posts by danunax
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:36 PM
United States, WI, Wauwatosa
Joined Mar 2002
272 Posts
So because I hadn't seen it written down, if anyone comes to this thread wondering about forcing the gyro calibration, this is the process:

Bind your transmitter to the protoX as usual. Then give it full right rudder at zero throttle. Waggle the aileron left and right and keep repeating until the blue eyes blink.

Setting it up on my Devo was painless. I copied my v911 config, changed the radio to Hubsan4 and bound it. Aside from some "quirkiness" in my v911 config where all of the channels were reversed in the mixer and not in the input selection (so far as I can tell, none of them are reversed on the protoX), it bound up and flies perfectly, although it wants more trim than I'd expect. Now I need a straightforward non-fiddling flight to see when the LVC starts to complain - I swear the lights start blinking after 2 minutes.

(Edited: Lights start to blink at 3:20, but it has tons of grunt until my 4 minute standard "micro" timer goes off on my transmitter. Hrm....)
pfriedel is offline Find More Posts by pfriedel
Last edited by pfriedel; Nov 03, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, Hawthorne
Joined Oct 2013
51 Posts
Transmitter.........

For those that have the stock transmitter and the X4 transmitter.

A lot of times the circuit boards for lower level electronics are the same as the higher level boards. They just don't have all the components on them............

Can the stock transmitter be made into a X4 equivalent transmitter by just adding a few components?

Looks like there's a place for yaw trim on the outside of the stock transmitter. Can you just add momentary contact buttons to the circuit board?

And maybe other features that the X4 transmitter has might be able to be added too.......
emsvitil is online now Find More Posts by emsvitil
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:52 PM
United States, WI, Wauwatosa
Joined Mar 2002
272 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/RtW3IApLCmE
Say, I know that mall!
pfriedel is offline Find More Posts by pfriedel
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:30 PM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danunax View Post
you could go through the escalator and exit from the top storey. pity what not one flip
what kind of battery is there on board?
I was probably using the Venom 120mah in the vid. It's a good compromise for weight vs. power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfriedel View Post
Say, I know that mall!
Living where you do, I'll bet you've been there.
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:58 PM
Working to make things happen!
Joined Mar 2013
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

I thought I'd share what I do to power my Proto X.

Thankfully, Estes included a socket to plug the battery in, instead of just doing a direct solder of the battery leads to the board, hey

I've been flying with all these different size batteries from the stocker (100mah) to a 120mah to 160mah to even the big 200mah onboard for almost a week now. Since I can easily externally charge the batteries (with my Blade Nano Celectra chargers), I always can have a battery ready to fly... couldn't stand that fly for 5 mins and then wait for a charge 25 mins to fly again

I also recommend (like others have) using the X4 TX because it just flys/controls sooo much better.

http://youtu.be/RtW3IApLCmE
The guard didn't seem to care, so I guess you work there, or are known there. I used to work security at a university, and we would have shut something like you were doing down. Not that I wouldn't have asked the guy where he got it after I did, but...
HeliStorm (FPV America) is offline Find More Posts by HeliStorm (FPV America)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV America Petitioning the FAA