HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2001, 02:54 AM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
631 Posts
Light Iron-on Covering

What is the lightest iron on covering and if possible the brand name in Europe.

I'm looking to use the lightest possible for my E3D :-)

Thanks

Paul Gleeson
pgleesonuk is offline Find More Posts by pgleesonuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2001, 02:59 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Oracover Lite is very light, easy to use and looks good.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 11, 2001, 06:56 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,503 Posts
Nelson Lite

I've been using Nelson Lite Film, which is made in England, for my Radical R/C Edge 540 and it's super! .6 oz/square yard. Don't know what's it's called in England. Appears to be lighter than Oracover Lite, more like Saran Wrap with adhesive!
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Dec 11, 2001, 07:33 AM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
631 Posts
Where did you get this "Nelson Lite" film from?

How does 0.6oz compare to oracover lite?

Paul
Old Dec 11, 2001, 10:31 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
From a Google search I found http://www3.sympatico.ca/rwoolley/49.htm with:

Oz/sq ft covering
0.07 light modelspan
0.07 Airspan
0.07 Airspan
0.09 LiteSpan Low
0.11 Supercoat, Sig
0.11 Indy RC film, Indy RC
0.11 Micafilm
0.12 Supercoat, Sig
0.12 Mylar Laminating Film High
0.13 AeroSpan Transparent Low
0.13 Solarfilm, ? Low
0.13 Supercoat, Sig
0.14 Fibafilm, ?
0.14 S. Monokote, Top Flite
0.14 Black Baron, Coverite
0.14 Oracover lite
0.17 Fabrikote, Top Flite red
0.17 Fibrefilm
0.18 Skysail
0.18 Silkspan cover
0.19 Transparent Monokote High
0.19 S. Monokote, Top Flite
0.19 Supercoat, Sig
0.20 Econokote Low
0.20 Graupner synth silk cover
0.20 S. Monokote, Top Flite

Which makes Solarfilm a bit lighter than Oracover Lite, which isn't believable. Maybe the above weight is for a transparent Solarfilm colour.

From http://www.aeronutz.free-online.co.uk/March2001.htm I found "Derick Hardman (Mr Solarfilm) has some new covering out called 'So Lite' it's 2 for a 50"x13" roll 17microns and 20g/m2. It's adhesive backed so no messing with the Balsaloc and lighter than 'Lite Span' There are scale colours ie buff, dark green, yellow"

20gsm = 0.6oz/sq yd = 0.07oz/sq ft. I guess this is the Nelson Lite stuff.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Dec 11, 2001, 01:15 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Paul, Coverite has a new product called CoverLite. It weighs 1 oz. per square yard (approximately .11oz./sq.ft.), or 32 - 35 gms. / square metre. Coverite claims it is airtight, waterproof, and resistant to diesel and glow fuels. It is heat sealed to a model after coating with Coverlite adhesive or Balsarite, then tightened by applying heat. They state in the instructions that it is very strong due to a network of interwoven polyester fibres. I am applying it for the first time to a model, so I do not have any experience with it in the field.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Dec 11, 2001, 01:26 PM
UK / Germany
Joined Nov 2001
631 Posts
Rod,

Please keep me (us) informed on how you find Coverite goes.

Is it available in Europe?

Paul
Old Dec 11, 2001, 01:32 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,455 Posts
Nelson LiteFILM

Nelson LiteFILM is available directly from Nelson Hobby Specialties. I have all my planes covered in the LiteFILM currently. Its great stuff, its easy to work with, its low temp so you can put it straight over foam.

Call them toll free at 877-263-5766 or www.nelsonhobby.com

the litefilm isn't on their website, but they have it, and have been selling it like hotcakes.

-Paul

www.geocities.com/rc_eflyer
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2001, 02:36 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Paul, you could check the Web site at www.coverite.com
Rod
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Dec 11, 2001, 03:33 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
141 Posts
Coverite's new Coverlite IS LiteSpan under a new name for Coverite's marketing. The same is true with Coverite's Micafilm, it is Fibafilm with only a different name - the products are identical. I've used all four products and personally verified this.

The newest lite material is So-Lite which is about 2/3rds the weight of Oracover Lite. I recently covered a Mini-Laser 3D with So-LIte and it is definately lighter than Oracover Lite. So-Lite is very flexible and the adhesive is moderately tacky. If two adhesive sides get pressed together, you cannot get them apart without tearing the film. Consequently, care is needed during assembly. I doublt this film adds much, of any strength to a structure since it is very flexible. But, it is very light and the iron-on adhesive is very good. The adhesive is activated at a very low temperature of 100C, which is nice, since I don't get as many burns as with the higher temperature materials.

In contrast, one of the lightest materials is mylar, or RA Microlite. which is very thin, iron on adhesive bonded to it. It is 3-5 microns thick and primarily intended for very light and/or indoor aircraft. It requires 200 degree C (400F) iron temperature - very HOT.

Covering weights vary by color somewhat. But, in general, I've found the following ordering of weights from my experiance an preferences:

1) Mylar (no adhesive), RA Microlite
2) Airspan (no adhesive)
3) So-Lite
4) Micafilm or Fibafilm (no adhesive), Oracover Lite
5) Monocote, Oracover, Coverite

Until So-Lite came out, Oracover Lite was the lightest transparent iron-on material available. (RA Microlite is much lighter, but not available in transparents.)

The E3D is a pretty good sized plan, and my feelings suggest using Oracover Lite. Hovever, if the structure is very strong, So-Lite could save a bit of weight. Both Micafilm or Fibafilm are good candidates too, if you don't mind using BalsoLoc or Balsarite adhesives. Mica and Fiba are extremely strong - probably stronger and more tear resistant than the heavier films.

Not familiar with the Nelson products.

Good luck,
--Colin--
cbosch_us is offline Find More Posts by cbosch_us
Old Dec 11, 2001, 04:10 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
141 Posts
Attached is my spreadsheet of covering weights. Hope you find it useful. I did not checking, and apparently So-Lite is even lighter than Airspan - but not by much. You will note that some of these materials are listed more than once since I've found data from multiple sources that differ somewhat.

--Colin--
cbosch_us is offline Find More Posts by cbosch_us
Old Dec 11, 2001, 05:54 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,867 Posts
Colin that's a great spreadsheet, but not very readable on my monitor. Could you attach the .xls file please? That way people could download it, print it out, etc.

TIA,

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Dec 11, 2001, 10:18 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
You can open the spreadsheet in Photoshop, blow it up and print it. Probably in any other graphics program you may have.

Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Dec 12, 2001, 02:04 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,455 Posts
Rod-- As has already been said since your last response, LiteFILM is lighter than Coverlite, is available in 11 colors, not nine. LiteFILM is also a plastic look, not a tissue look. Although thin, I am amazed at the strength that it does give. It seems to be fairly puncture resistant, I know as I sometimes fly at a field (field behind my house) with tall grass that has a tendency to poke holes in my covering. That and I did all the testing for Nelson, to make sure we knew all the characteristics of the covering before we sold it.

--Paul

www.geocities.com/rc_eflyer -- Paul's Electric Page - Free Plans
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2001, 09:38 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Re: Light Iron-on Covering

Quote:
Originally posted by pgleesonuk
What is the lightest iron on covering and if possible the brand name in Europe.
I can vouch for So-Lite, also known as Solarfilm Lite. However, it may be a little TOO light for your E3D. It's great for tiny rubber band conversions, though.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1