HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Jun 2005
300 Posts
Discussion
Blade 350 QX FPV mods

I would like to start a thread dedicated to FPV mods for the Blade 350.

I read the other 350 mod thread and while adding floats, decals, led strips is pretty interesting, the FPV stuff kind of gets lost.

I am just getting back into RC (after a 10 year sabbatical). I am fascinated with the technology in this thing and how things have advanced since I was last active.

I bought a 350 QX last week and have half a dozen successful flights under my belt. I am currently grounded waiting for B props.

So, I would really like to learn how to add FPV and OSD (if possible) to the 350 QX.

I am a total noob to FPV so lots of pictures and descriptions and actual parts used would be fantastic.

If this particular thread already exists then I apologize for starting a duplicate thread.

Thanks
VintageSlots is offline Find More Posts by VintageSlots
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2005
300 Posts
Here is a pretty useful video of a guy who modified a Phantom. I think a lot would apply to the 350

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iHqpKrrvH9M
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:48 PM
Multirotors, Planes, LOS, FPV
United States, MO, Moscow Mills
Joined Oct 2013
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSlots View Post
I would like to start a thread dedicated to FPV mods for the Blade 350.

I read the other 350 mod thread and while adding floats, decals, led strips is pretty interesting, the FPV stuff kind of gets lost.

I am just getting back into RC (after a 10 year sabbatical). I am fascinated with the technology in this thing and how things have advanced since I was last active.

I bought a 350 QX last week and have half a dozen successful flights under my belt. I am currently grounded waiting for B props.

So, I would really like to learn how to add FPV and OSD (if possible) to the 350 QX.

I am a total noob to FPV so lots of pictures and descriptions and actual parts used would be fantastic.

If this particular thread already exists then I apologize for starting a duplicate thread.

Thanks
Well, to get you started in FPV you need to think about what you want and how much you can afford.

A good way to start off id to get a starter package like one of these by Fat Shark

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y-Goggles.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y-Goggles.html

If you get the goggles, tx, and camera all in one kit, it will simply connect to the balance plug on your battery so there's no extra splicing or soldering involved. It's pretty much plug -n- play. Since this is a small quad the distance is limited. You wont be going a mile or 2 away so how much info in an OSD do you really need? Voltage? May be a timer? Some of the other guys can chime in with more suggestions but this might be an easy and cheap way to start.
MrMikeMartin is offline Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Jun 2005
300 Posts
Thanks. I have been looking into the Fat Shark and it does look like that is what I am looking for. The only OSD stuff I really would want is altimeter, air speed, and heading.

You are right in that I won't be flying this thing a great distance so I really don't 'need' OSD but I just think it would be kind of cool.

I like the idea of plug and play.

Plugging it directly into the balancing plug is also attractive. How much power does all of this stuff draw? Is it going to drastically reduce the 6 - 7 minutes of flight time that I get now?
Old Dec 03, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2013
5 Posts
Hello VintageSlots,

you are flying about 6mn from your 2200mAH lipo => this mean that in average your consumption is 10C. (it takes 1h to empty your lipo at 1C = 2.2A).
If your FPV equipment eats 1/2C it is already 1.1A (!) => in this case you'll shorten your flight time by 5%, not taking into acount the weight of your FPV gear, that may add to the average power consumption.
All in all, you could shorten your flight time by 30s to 1mn max I presume...
Nicov is offline Find More Posts by Nicov
Old Apr 11, 2014, 04:28 PM
Full Scale Pilot
Antarctica
Joined Aug 2007
60 Posts
Blade 350 QX with built in FPV

Here you go..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144388

Dave
Haleymon is offline Find More Posts by Haleymon