HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:02 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,312 Posts
Extreme Flight RC designer looking for advice

My name is Chris Hinson and I am the owner of Extreme Flight RC. I am quite ignorant of electirc flight set-ups but am very interested in learning. We have a 68" Yak-54 that will be released here in the States very soon. I am looking to do an electric conversion as I want to join in the fun at the SEFF festival this year. I'm looking for advice on a good set-up. I am looking for unlimited performance, not just sport performance. We are currently flying the Yak with a Y.S 1.10 at a weight just shy of 9 lbs. I know of the Hacker C-50 Acro and I'm willing to spend the money on this set-up, but I'd like to find a more economical alternative. Several locals have recommended the AXI 4130/20. Would this motor provide the 2:1 power to weight ratio I am looking for? If so, with how many cells, what prop, what speed controller, etc. Thanks for any advice you e-flight 3D gurus can offer. I will post a detailed thread of this conversion for all who are interested.
EXTREME FLIGHT is online now Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:30 AM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,405 Posts
What is the empty weight and wing area? Rough numbers are fine.
twest is offline Find More Posts by twest
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:35 AM
uk
Joined Jan 2001
170 Posts
Hi ,i have followed the thread on rc universe and have been very impressed at your aircraft and the video on your site and yes it would make a nice conversion,as for power you will have to go lipo but as for the motor the acro does seem to be the way for these bigger conversions as they tend to run cooler with heatsinks etc.
But as an alternative the outrunners could offer the power you would need,you could try the Torcman range as they do a 430/30 which can handle up to 1800 watts you can get details here www.maxrivers.com or here for some info http://www.torcman.de/shop/ i see that the 685 can handle 3000watts!!!! i look forward to seeing how this goes hope this helps a little.

Graham
uk
graham williams is offline Find More Posts by graham williams
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2004
2,312 Posts
Wing area is 920 square inches, empty weight is 4.5 lbs, I have clearance for a 20 inch prop.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:01 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,405 Posts
You should look at something in the range of 8-10 cell lipo packs, and a motor that can handle 1500 watts or so and turn a big (18-22") prop. Hacker acro would probably be the best, if for no other reason than it has a massive heatsink to run cooler. At 1500 watts, a motor that is 90% efficient puts out 150 watts as heat!

For a domestic (and cheaper) solution, you might get away with an aveox 3638/2 with either a MEC monsterbox or innerdemon gearbox.

Here I totally guessed at 10 lbs. all up weight and 1000 sq. in. of wing area- if weight is lower and/or wing bigger the performance will be better. This motor is a bit lighter than the hacker, and fairly inexpensive (less than $150 from www.flydma.com).
Last edited by twest; Feb 21, 2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:14 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,405 Posts
icture messed up, will try again:
Last edited by twest; Feb 21, 2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:15 PM
Lithium Member #2
Electric Aircraft World
Joined Nov 2001
297 Posts
Yak E

Chris,

that is a nice looking plane!

I just ran your data thru Motocalc
and a C 50 14 XL geared , 20x 10
APC on 10s3p Thunder Power will
give you 270 oz of thrust and ~ 80$
efficiency at 137 oz weight..
with 20 min hover time.

I have a somewhat similar planes
( a Topmodel Razzia, a 3W Extrafun,a Diablotin XL) I fly on this setup with various cell/batt/prop configs,
a bit heavier and it works great.

If you can afford it, it's the bullet proof,
plug -in solution. There are cheaper solutions, but they will need experimenting to give you that "fuel-powered" feel.

Just say no to glow!

- Gigawatt
gigawatt is offline Find More Posts by gigawatt
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:22 PM
100% electric since 1990
United States, MA, Ware
Joined Jul 2001
1,405 Posts
Ok here is the $150 aveox (lifetime warranty, domestic) with either MEC monsterbox or innerdemon (both domestic, available ratios may be slightly different):
Last edited by twest; Feb 21, 2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2004
2,312 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Are these Hacker motors typically available or is their a wait involved? Where is a good source to purchase these and the other components?
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:35 PM
uk
Joined Jan 2001
170 Posts
http://www.espritmodel.com/ should have everything you need lipo/hacker/esc etc

Graham
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2004
2,312 Posts
Gigawatt, I am about to say no to glow. While I really enjoy flying the big gassers, I have about had my fill of glow fuel. I run the Y.S. 1.10 on 30% Heli fuel and it takes at least a half hour to clean this mess off the plane after a flying session. If I can achieve the same performance with an electric set-up I will definitely say no to glow!
On another topic, how soon will the new 10C rated cells be available? If I am going to purchase a large pack like this I want to purchase the newest, lightest technology. Does TP have these cells available yet?
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2004
2,312 Posts
Hope I'm not being a pest, but as I said before, this is all new to me. What charger would you guys recommend to purchase to charge these large packs?
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:57 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Typically on a 10 cell setup you'll use 2 5 cell packs in series or a 7 and 3 etc. That makes things easier to charge and faster as well. I'd suggest getting a couple Astro AF109's they'll charge up to 9 cells and are about as bullet proof as you can get. As far as the 10C cells www.cheapbatterypacks.com has the 10C-15C 2600's . The new Thunderpowers should be about in a month, they seem to have great potential.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Feb 21, 2004, 01:13 PM
uk
Joined Jan 2001
170 Posts
HI agree with the astro 109 they are a good price ,had mine for 4 months never missed a beat and charges at 8 amps or so,and as jim says by using two packs you wont have to wait that long to charge and you do not run into any balance issues.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 03:25 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Good to see you here Chris. I agree with the others that the 109 is the charger you want. I was discussing this plane with Jeff Meyers just last night. Unless you want to go with dual Mega's (or equivilant) in a belt drive, the Hacker C50 Acro on a 8S is where you want to be. A dual motor setup isnt going to save but maybe $150.

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons