HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2004, 02:49 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Question
How much WEIGHT can YOUR Slow Stick carry?

Hello all,

I've got my Slow Stick set up with the usual mod's, wing joiner tubes made from brass, carbon fiber wing spars etc. My question is what is the practical weight limit for this wing before I really need some MAJOR mod's to the wing?

Power is not a problem for me (Razor 300 on 3 cell LiPo's) but I am concerned about folding a wing with an expensive (Olympus D-40) camera on board. I figure by the time I get it mounted and a servo for the shutter release I will be at about 8 ounces of payload... about 3 times my normal A/P payload.

I was thinking about going from wing tip to wing tip, down to the landing gear with kevlar thread.

What do you guys think? How much payload do you guys carry with a similar motor set-up?

Here is a recent photo from my Gsmart Mini 3 looking south toward Boulder Colorado...

Thanks,

CJS
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2004, 07:06 AM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
If you have a wing brace AUW 30 oz

BAR-STOOL
BAR-STOOL is offline Find More Posts by BAR-STOOL
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:06 AM
Madison, AL
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
Cactus Jack

I'm flying a slow stick with a Sony U30 with a Li-Poly. Pretty much kept the weight the same as a 7 cell 900 mah nimh.

With the motor set up and weight you plan to take aloft, its a good idea to do what you have in mind.

Suggest you do some trials flights with dummy payload weight (same weight as your camera). In case you note a problem, you don't have the worries of losing the camera.

Several others out there have added additional strength to their slow stick set ups. Check around.

Just watched a video of a slow stick and an 020. At the higher speeds, pulling out of a dive, he was really flexing the wing.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some EXTREMELY Good photos....

Later,
Jeff H.
Jeff Hammett is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Hammett
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:38 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
WHat are dummies for??!

Jeff,

Yes, good idea... I'll paste on 8 oz of lead and see how it goes.

I'm actually going to build up another Slow Stick and this time I will be making all the needed mods on the way for heavy payloads... I may even do a photo build up to post...

Yes, I too am looking for some EXCELLENT shots with my D-40 Olympus... I have been using it for 2 years now as my everyday camera and I really lie it (except for the shutter delay common on this size camera).

I also think I might rig up my wireless video in tandem so I know what i'm taking a photo of. The wireless only weighs 3.5 oz with battery...

More later!

CJS
Old Feb 22, 2004, 09:27 AM
Madison, AL
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
Jack

That would be a great idea with the video camera. I've got my camera pointing out the left wing. That way I know which ever way the left wing is pointing, that is "about" what I'm going to get pictures of. Having a live down like would be the ultimate. I tried taking photos of some hawks circling one day, got home and they were not within the frame of the photo. You get good shots some days and some days you don't.

I took my photos of the pond over to the man and his wife that own the field I fly out of. They were so excited, that made the effort alone all worth it.

Good luck
Jeff H.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:45 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
10 ounces...

Well I got my 2nd Slow Stick built up and before I strap my $400+ camera on in I took Jeff's advice and strapped a dummy weight on first.

I put 10 ounces on my slow stick and it took off and flew just fine! I was actually surprized! I will beef up the wing just a bit more and I will have no problem strapping my high dollar camera on board this baby!

My built up weight w/o camera is 13.6 oz. on a Razor 300 w/ 3 cell LiPo's. It will be under 25 oz with camera and all.

I can't wait, I will post pic's as soon as I get my mount done!

CJS
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:08 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Hey I used to live there. Thats north boulder up toward estes?
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:27 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Spacecase,

Yes, this is about 4 miles north of Boulder looking south.

CJS
Old Feb 28, 2004, 04:00 AM
MARS
Joined Jan 2004
87 Posts
I have an idea,change the slowstick to a biplane.add one more wing (same us the stock slowstick) on the top of the plane.and use bigger moter. Does it work?
sorry my english is poor.
kavana is offline Find More Posts by kavana
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:23 PM
Madison, AL
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
Jack

Glad to hear the test flight with the lead weight worked great. Always nice to have a confidence builder.

Can't wait to see some pictures of those beautiful Colorado Mountains.

Jeff
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:50 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,134 Posts
My

SS is at 32+ with the Nikon 885 and all on it. It seems to fly pretty good and with the PJS800 and an Irate 2600 poly it climbs like crazy. I do have the wing braced ah la Barstools cross brace on the front.
uniquewon is offline Find More Posts by uniquewon
Old Feb 29, 2004, 06:59 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
THE BARSTOOL WING BRACE
BAR-STOOL is offline Find More Posts by BAR-STOOL
Old Mar 01, 2004, 01:27 PM
Madison, AL
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
Hey, Barstool - Now that is what I call a Slow Stick with some BEEF. Hope the weather hold for you.

Have you done any vibration isolation so you can take photos with the motor ON?

Jeff
Old Mar 01, 2004, 04:17 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Joined May 2002
2,608 Posts
Vibration... Beef Cake!

I did not do any vibration on mine when running the motor in good lighting conditions and I do not get any blur or "vibration lines" like I did on My GSmart Mini 3 - I guess that is the difference between a $90 camera and a $500 camera!

To beef up my wings I did the brass tube joiner trick and carbon rods. I then used kevlar thread to make a triangle going from one wing, down to the landing gear, accross to the other landing gear, then up to the other wing. The kevlar thread has a breaking strength of like 60 pounds... and I doubled it.

It is VERY stout without much weight or added air drag... of course at the flying speed of the SS and a huge SQUARE camera now hanging from it the air drag is probably moot!

I do like kevlar though... I use it a LOT to beef all sorts of things up!

CJS
Old Mar 01, 2004, 09:33 PM
Madison, AL
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
CJS

Sounds like you have your bases covered. I like the idea of using kevlar and doubling it for the under side of the wing. I looked at your photo and did not see any structural strengthing. I would think the way your planning to fly, the kevlar is going to see most of the dynamic loads.

Like your design.

Jeff