SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modglock20 View Post
Before you come up with a more elegant design (there's market opportunity there, you know.) I'd simply loop an electrical plastic tie through each grommet (assuming they're hollow) loosely. That's fail safe, should the grommet crease gives way, then the tie will catch it.
That works just fine, they are hollow. I like the Spectra line method, almost invisible, zero weight, and just as secure.
RemE is offline Find More Posts by RemE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGT View Post
I'm curious how the flight data is being sent from the Vision?

Is it from a separate controller attached to the NAZA (internal or external from the camera body) or is it directly from the NAZA to the WI-FI transmitter?

I wonder if the flight data will be available on the PRO?

I'm in a holding pattern waiting for specs on the Pro before I jump into the Vision.
Just guessing, the connection to the camera is 4 conductor, I'm thinking power and serial data. The Camera ball probably has an OSD board and WiFi Transmitter as well as the camera.

I've seen nothing except 1 press release about a Phantom 2 and Phantom 2 Vision, and nothing about the word "Pro". So it's anyone's guess how it will be outfitted.
Last edited by RemE; Nov 10, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Nov 2013
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsz View Post

Is it possible to connect your PC to your Phantom WIFI?
Marsz, I cannot detect the Vision's network at all, with my Win pc. I'm sure it would be different if I still had my Linux pc. Even Inssider does not find the network. It must be hidden.
Noobiedoobiedoo is offline Find More Posts by Noobiedoobiedoo
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:27 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsz View Post
Hi There!

I'm Marsz, new user on this forum.. (and soon to be Vision owner)

I've done research on the Vision camera and it looks more or less the same as a Gopro cam. With the big difference in the use of components, GoPro uses a Amberella Digital Media Processor and the Vision Cam uses a Texas Instruments TMS320 series http://www.ti.com/product/tms320dm368

Tapping in on the VTX should be possible at a similar manner as the GoPro, we just need to figure out a couple of things. Maybe Some of you can try the following.

Is it possible to connect your PC to your Phantom WIFI?

If so, Can you read out the router IP adres of the Phantom.

Is this is the case, use a program like WinSCP and connect to the phantom, using the port 8080

I like to know if there is a folder structure. If there is there should be a folder named /LIVE/ of /STREAM/

In this folder is a file with the name *.m3*

When this is all the fact, is should be easy to tap in to the video transport stream using VLC player and of course also to other applications of devices.

As I've sad.. Currently i don't own a vision jet, so I'm just thinking out of the box to provide a solution, based om my experience with streaming Axis Cams and other similar divices. Hopefully i can fiddle it out my self, meantime I enjoy reading this forum.

Cheers!
Hi, this would be interesting.

The goal here would be to receive the Vision's data feed, with a PC instead of the phone app so as to drive other video devices like goggles.

It seems that the production Vision does not expose the Camera's WiFi SSID. There is a unique binding process for the camera to the WiFi extender. You need the phone app and the extender, and must scan a QR code from the original Vision box to bind the Camera radio to the extender. I'm not sure how you would go about binding the camera to a PC.

The other thought would be to keep the extender as is, let it handle the downlink to the camera, and somehow connect to the extender's SSID instead of the phone app. Since a stock phone can see the extender's SSID, I can't imagine that a PC wouldn't see this as well. I'm not sure what to do from there but that's the most likely way to work with the Vision video downlink.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:44 PM
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Nov 2013
80 Posts
Second "Invalid Battery" warning

From my logbook.

Flight 4
First flight during daylight hours.
Initially, fun. Showed off for neighbors.
Observed houses in my neighborhood.
Viewed beach.

Max alt: 300+
Max distance: 500
wind: negligable.
Flew approx 10 minutes.
Got Video of whole flight.

Incident report.
Flew too close to palm tree, crashed atop the tree. Had to get ladder.

Post retreival, did not reboot phantom.
Restarted radios, got all clear for launch, gps.
Started engines, craft would not lift off. Battery indicated 70+%
Side movements showed plenty of power, but would not throttle up in vertical stick.

Rebooted craft, all radios. Craft started normally. Tipped over attempting launch, then, after righting, achieved launch. Got 20-30 seconds in air, then klaxon sound. Thought, somehow, battery was dead. Battery guage indicated 0%. It had been in the 70% range just minutes previous. Got "Invalid Battery" warning, emergency self-landing. Did not attempt re-launch. Enough excitement for now. Battery self-indicated well over 50%.

Bench testing after fully charging show no "Invalid Battery" alert.

Note, one of my pin connectors appears to be shorter than the other. Pictures to follow.
Noobiedoobiedoo is offline Find More Posts by Noobiedoobiedoo
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:55 PM
Roswell, GA 30075 USA
Joined Jun 2001
71 Posts
Zenmuse for Phantom 2 Vision

Well, I have a ton of DJI stuff and just bought the P2Vision last week. While I fly my other drones on my 14MZ and have full FPV on both my original Phantom and F550 with OSD's, etc. etc., I have to say, I really like the beefed up motors and prop system and, most of all, the 5200mah battery life. I even really like the throttle spring despite being a 25 year fixed wing and RC heli veteran. With the stock gains, the spring really does take a load off your mind regarding altitude and allows for more focus on filming.

But I am big time spoiled on the Zenmuse H3-2D that I swap between my Phantom 1 and F550. After one flight and viewing the camera results, the only thing I can think about is how to get my Zenmuse onto this new flying platform and radio.

Issues abound of course in that with the Tx being at 5.8Ghz, that would likely rule out using a 5.8Ghz video Tx like I have now on the Phantom 1. I have lighter 900 Mhz systems, but that's overkills as I would far outfly the radio and am happy regardless with a 300-400m radius for filming. I just want quality and this new camera is too jumpy. The Chinese or homemade gimbal systems I had on the Phantom 1 before getting the Zenmuse were at least as good at stabilization if not better.

Any thoughts on how this might work? I think the first thing I would like to know is what functions is this new Vision camera unit performing vs. what's in the shell? Is the 2.4 Ghz video Tx in the camera unit or in the main body?

Anybody else thinking like this?

Also, here are a couple of pics of the iPad holder I installed on the Tx. While this is an iPad 1 holder, I have the back coming specifically for an iPad 2 or 3 with a 1/4" tripod adapter. This gives the general idea. Had all the stuff laying around and with a double neckstrap, works great. Tried it with the iPad 2 today and was much nicer than my phone.
MadMan is offline Find More Posts by MadMan
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Nice report! Noob....doo
The battery's external gage LED and apparently the main power contacts are independent of the data connection. If the Vision's processor misses the battery data, it will send the error to the phone and it will auto land, end of story. Even though the battery has plenty of power, it's a programming decision, that will hopefully change.

You did put your name and phone number and perhaps a "Reward for Return" message on your Vision, right?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:22 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Well, I have a ton of DJI stuff and just bought the P2Vision last week. While I fly my other drones on my 14MZ and have full FPV on both my original Phantom and F550 with OSD's, etc. etc., I have to say, I really like the beefed up motors and prop system and, most of all, the 5200mah battery life. I even really like the throttle spring despite being a 25 year fixed wing and RC heli veteran. With the stock gains, the spring really does take a load off your mind regarding altitude and allows for more focus on filming.

But I am big time spoiled on the Zenmuse H3-2D that I swap between my Phantom 1 and F550. After one flight and viewing the camera results, the only thing I can think about is how to get my Zenmuse onto this new flying platform and radio.

Issues abound of course in that with the Tx being at 5.8Ghz, that would likely rule out using a 5.8Ghz video Tx like I have now on the Phantom 1. I have lighter 900 Mhz systems, but that's overkills as I would far outfly the radio and am happy regardless with a 300-400m radius for filming. I just want quality and this new camera is too jumpy. The Chinese or homemade gimbal systems I had on the Phantom 1 before getting the Zenmuse were at least as good at stabilization if not better.

Any thoughts on how this might work? I think the first thing I would like to know is what functions is this new Vision camera unit performing vs. what's in the shell? Is the 2.4 Ghz video Tx in the camera unit or in the main body?

Anybody else thinking like this?

Also, here are a couple of pics of the iPad holder I installed on the Tx. While this is an iPad 1 holder, I have the back coming specifically for an iPad 2 or 3 with a 1/4" tripod adapter. This gives the general idea. Had all the stuff laying around and with a double neckstrap, works great. Tried it with the iPad 2 today and was much nicer than my phone.
Welcome Madman!
I too was thinking that I'd be wanting to use my 18MZ but I agree, the Vision TX is actually very functional with its throttle spring and all, as you said, pleasantly relaxing for a model.

I would love to find your mounting adapters. I have the iPad Mini to tripod mount but could not find that setup you have, that's what I envisioned but couldn't find. Does the lower end mate to the TX's ball without any mods?
I ended up using the stock clamp, all posted in this thread, so I'm actually set and can swap between pad and phone in a blink but would like to get that hardware. Do you have any links?

There's a lot already in this thread, but all the video is in the camera pod, OSD and WiFi downlink. If you pull the cam, add a gimbal, you lose telemetry and your control link is 5.8Ghz so none of it is ideal for changing out components. At each step I see weight going up, flight time dropping. This is really is a purpose built machine and does its job pretty well, video in still air, stills good most of the time.

My hope is that they offer a delux cam and a 3rd gen light weight Vision gimbal as an upgrade.
Last edited by RemE; Nov 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
Not able to fly

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new Phantom 2 Vision owner. I followed the how-to-videos on the DJI website to get everything prepared/charged/etc.

I turn on the remote, the range extender, then slide the battery into the Phantom, and turn it on.

It then starts to blink red rapidly. I can connected to the Wifi and when I select the Camera in the app, it states Invalid Battery.

I then hooked up the Phantom to my computer and used the Phantom Assistant app and it states: Not DHI Intelligent Battery.

I am unable to fly the unit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Akash
akashrpatel is offline Find More Posts by akashrpatel
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:04 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
There should be a firmware update releasing soon to help correct this issue but being an EE, these should have also been a tension fit.

For now, make sure the spring loaded small pins and contacts are clean.

HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
So it's a known issue then?

Ok, I thought I got a DOA machine.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
If you are trying on your driveway you may be having an issue with the rebar in the concrete.
I've tried in several locations ( my driveway is dirt...no rebar) with same result, but thanks for the response.
Moabarch is offline Find More Posts by Moabarch
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:27 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashrpatel View Post
So it's a known issue then?

Ok, I thought I got a DOA machine.
Not many have seen this as an out of the box issue, please check the battery side and look for contamination on the small two gold contacts, clean them with a cotton swab and alcohol. As HGT mentioned earlier in these threads, there may be some contamination left over from manufacturing that needs cleaning off.

Here is my post on what I found;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=695

Let us know how it goes!
Last edited by RemE; Nov 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Nov 2013
5 Posts
Thanks RemE!

Appreciate the tip!

I was able to get in a quick flight!

Woohoo!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:43 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGT View Post
Yes... just trued up some aluminum rod on the lathe and drilled and tapped for the motor thread size.
Hi HGT, is the thread 6mm x 1.0 pitch as stated by RemE ( I have a V1.1.1 integrated spinners)

Before I go and order the dies, could I rather PayPal you some credit and you could knock one out for me instead?

Thank You,

Dave Pitman
Dave Pitman is online now Find More Posts by Dave Pitman
Last edited by Dave Pitman; Nov 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM.