Old Oct 25, 2013, 04:56 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Hey Rem,

I saw your post over on the QX thread, I am in a quandary myself regarding the Phantom Vision. I have the first generation Phantom with GOPRO and it flew away twice. This made it totally unreliable in the area that I live, people, expensive cars, homes close by.

Now I got the QX350, 2 0f them with B props, GOPRO and Mobius cameras. No problem with anything, but GOPRO video is distorted. No flyaway, but no advanced programming either.

So, that is why I am here, the Phantom Vision. I am wondering if they have fixed the fly away problem? This is serious. If they fixed it, I'm a buyer because the DJI concept appears to be more developed than the competition, and I want a RTF package that works out of the box. 20 plus years, lots of tinker money lost, no more, been there done that.

Al
Hey, Al We've not met but actually I followed you a while back, I believe you made not 1 but 2 very large, lovely, and terrifying C130's? I helped develop (with Lockheed in Ontario) and flew with some specialized (real) ones in the Middle East and came oh so close to building up one of the same models, just no room for such a monster in the house. Anyhow, I did read the whole 350 thread and your comments were right on the money on the prop issues etc.

So, for me 47 years flying all things RC, a camera toting quad seems like some good fun, and I've got the same neighborhood issues, can't go dropping out of the sky. I've read about and seen videos of Phantoms flying away, read about at least two or three 350 fly-aways so I'm obviously very concerned as well. I asked in the other Phantom thread and here as well.

Do Phantoms fly away? Has this been addressed, lots of folks say DJI is virtually mute? Are new "Classic" Phantoms no longer subject to this? and last, is this Version 2 safe?

I've certainly watched DJI's Collin launching and flying prototype Visions over crowds without any visible concern, while pecking away on the iPhone, gives me a little chill, but I'm whimpy that way. Anyway, a fly-away quad with a 25minute flight time is legitimately a concern, especially with a FPV tracker with a 300M range, a last known GPS location would not be helpful in that case...

But it will be a fun ride, let's get started!
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:17 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmlog09 View Post
Ok is anyone getting excited yet ????
I am, but want to get specs on both phantoms before deciding.
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:59 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
Hey, Al We've not met but actually I followed you a while back, I believe you made not 1 but 2 very large, lovely, and terrifying C130's? I helped develop (with Lockheed in Ontario) and flew with some specialized (real) ones in the Middle East and came oh so close to building up one of the same models, just no room for such a monster in the house. Anyhow, I did read the whole 350 thread and your comments were right on the money on the prop issues etc.

So, for me 47 years flying all things RC, a camera toting quad seems like some good fun, and I've got the same neighborhood issues, can't go dropping out of the sky. I've read about and seen videos of Phantoms flying away, read about at least two or three 350 fly-aways so I'm obviously very concerned as well. I asked in the other Phantom thread and here as well.

Do Phantoms fly away? Has this been addressed, lots of folks say DJI is virtually mute? Are new "Classic" Phantoms no longer subject to this? and last, is this Version 2 safe?

I've certainly watched DJI's Collin launching and flying prototype Visions over crowds without any visible concern, while pecking away on the iPhone, gives me a little chill, but I'm whimpy that way. Anyway, a fly-away quad with a 25minute flight time is legitimately a concern, especially with a FPV tracker with a 300M range, a last known GPS location would not be helpful in that case...

But it will be a fun ride, let's get started!
When were you at LAS Ontario? I worked there for four years, back in the mid-90s.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:27 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,451 Posts
Late 70's thru early 80's for me, LAS did amazing things, it was sad to watch them dry up and blow away along with so many aerospace shops. What section were you in?
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Old Oct 26, 2013, 01:32 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
I spent 20 years in Advanced Systems at a division of Teledyne that did computer systems for Cobras, Apaches, F-14s, F-16s, and several Navy ASW helicopters. I left in '93 and went to work at LAS. Got involved in lots of "special" C-130 and P-3 programs, mainly for foreign customers. I lived through the merger with Martin Marietta and lasted until they lost the lease at Ontario airport. They merged us with the Skunk Works, since we had some of the same funding "sources" and moved us up to Palmdale. I live in south OC, so I ended up with the commute from hell, 136 miles each way. I lasted 9 months, only because I car pooled with a friend, when we were both in town, and I traveled a lot overseas a lot, back then. I left in '98 and started consulting. Been doing that off and on since then. :-)

-- Gary.
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Oct 26, 2013, 06:41 AM
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
Ipad Ground Station

Does anyone know if the Phantom 2 Vision will support the Ground Station?

Nas,
Nasscar][ is offline Find More Posts by Nasscar][
Old Oct 26, 2013, 09:49 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Vision - official specs
http://www.dji.com/feature/phantom-2-vision-features/
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasscar][ View Post
Does anyone know if the Phantom 2 Vision will support the Ground Station?

Nas,

I have one on my original Phantom but it kills the flight time down to about 5 minutes. With this new battery, I'll probably try to hook it up. The issue I see is the competing 2.4 ghz transmissions - wifi downlink for Vision and the Ground Station transceiver.
Price4Flight is offline Find More Posts by Price4Flight
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:32 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
I am, but want to get specs on both phantoms before deciding.
What do you mean both Phantoms? There is only the Phantom 2 Vision that is being released

This Phantom 2 pro is just rumor, imho.
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Oct 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
What do you mean both Phantoms? There is only the Phantom 2 Vision that is being released

This Phantom 2 pro is just rumor, imho.
According to DJI, the Phantom 2 is not a rumor per http://www.dji.com/a-special-promoti...n-the-phantom/

Quote:
The plan is to release the exciting Phantom II and Phantom Vision products in Nov, 2013 just before the Christmas.
Steve Martin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Martin
Old Oct 26, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2006
39 Posts
I was hoping that DJI would include this feature at no additional cost. They are using the 2.4ghz for both Data & video so it appears to only need firmware update to allow the Ground Station to work?

Nas,
Nasscar][ is offline Find More Posts by Nasscar][
Last edited by Nasscar][; Oct 26, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Dang it.. You beat me to it - lol

Looks awesome... can't wait to read the reviews and see the videos

Did you notice the comment about "if you go outside of 300m, it automatically returns home." or something to that effect.
aWanderer is offline Find More Posts by aWanderer
Old Oct 26, 2013, 08:46 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
I just perused the official specs you linked to ... I notice the battery is 5200 mAh not 4400 as seen in most videos. Have they increased the battery capacity in the production model?
loquacious is offline Find More Posts by loquacious
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2013
21 Posts
I was hoping for the ground station to be supported also....
Loubnyc is offline Find More Posts by Loubnyc
Old Oct 27, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
396 Posts
I was hoping for the GS as well but I think it's out of scope for the Vision model. I noticed in the specs that the Phantom Vision will automatically "Go Home" if it exceeds the 300m range. Not sure the GS would be much use in that case. Seems the GS is more of a "pro" feature... larger model.
aWanderer is offline Find More Posts by aWanderer