HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:28 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,453 Posts
Here's my iPad and iPhone setups, I've been picking away to get something together to use ASAP, here's what I came up with.

The iPhone is standard but I added a shade to the kit. It just slips under the stock clamp.

http://diffcase.com/collections/ipho...e-indoor-stand

The iPad Mini setup,

I found a bottom holder plate with integrated 1/4" TriPod mount. I used a scrap piece of polyethylene foam left over from the Phantom Case, sandwiched in with a C/F Plate and a 1/4" screw. Bonded this together with some silicone rubber cement. This makes for an easy grip for the stock iPhone clamp so you can easily swap iPhone for iPad as needed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B0GSADW/..._26725410_item

I added a very compact and lite Hood, it's magnetic and snaps onto the iPad Mini when needed.

http://www.hoodivision.com/#!hoodi-store/c37l

I added all of these to the carry case with room to spare. I located the Hood and iPad on the right side in a soft lined sleeve, with the TX, to keep these magnet laden pieces away from the Vision's compass. I located the bottom plate and iPhone shade in the compartment at the rear of the Vision.

Can't wait to go flying with the iPad Mini!

Edit, added notches to the C/F plate on the iPad Mini holder, this stabilizes the setup nicely, new pictures added. Once you get the position you like, add the notches to lock it in better.

Edit - PLAN B Option for off the shelf parts Installation;

Just for those who don't want to make the C/F Plate and adapt to the stock Phone clip, here is a Plan B iPad Mini Mount. With these two parts and the Nootle iPad Mini Tripod Holder you are set with no tools needed!

Buy this Bicycle Handle Bar Mount, remove the mount from the ball, it fits the Vision TX ball perfectly;
ARKON CMP227 Motorcycle and Bicycle Handle Bar Mount for Cameras with 1-4 20 Screw Thread
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get this super smooth mini Tripod Head;
Professional Mini Ball Head Camera Mount GIOTTOS

Then the iPad Holder;
Grifiti Nootle iPad mini 1, 2 Tripod Mount with 1-4-20 Thread

Last but not least, I keep the mounts always in the carry case, but only put the iPad in the case when heading out to fly. I got this low cost microfiber lined sleeve for the iPad Mini and store it to the right of the TX along with the hood. This keeps the iPad and Hood magnets as far from the Vision's compass as possible;

See Photos below, at the end.
RemE is offline Find More Posts by RemE
Last edited by RemE; Dec 06, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:28 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanmike View Post
I'm running 4.2.2 and still no go!!
What device?
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:34 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2013
176 Posts
RemE

That setup is sweet! Thanks for sharing the mini mounting tips etc... I appreciate people sharing their creativity and will certainly be going down this route with a new Retina Mini when released later this month.
BWells is offline Find More Posts by BWells
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:43 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerms View Post
Yes, i get 2 beeps when i start my TX controls.
The only other things I can think of are to look closely at the two antenna's on the Vision, they are on two of the landing gear legs. Make sure that they aren't folded or kinked up somehow. They are tiny threads of wire!

The Tx antenna should be pointed up, to keep it in the same plane as the RX antennas but when flying, the TX whip should not point at the Vision.

I can't think of anything else other than external interference or a defective RX or TX. Make sure your batteries are very fresh. That's about all you can do.

Edit, you might also slightly re-position the Vision antennas so they don't point straight down, use a bit of foam and angle them about 45 degrees to the side.

One other possibility is that one of the two RX antennas is broken. The rx is a "diversity" receiver, it switches between the two antennas to pick the best signal at any given moment, if one were not working, you would be running on only one antenna. That would easily allow for more frequent dropouts depending on the Vision's position in relation to the TX.
Last edited by RemE; Nov 06, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Hi all,
I am brand new here and read (I think) every word you folks have written regarding the Vision. Mine arrives tomorrow....it's my first entry into this hobby. I was a military helicopter pilot for 23 years....which likely means nothing at all really...so on to my question: I thought I would get a jump on the training videos on this thing, but only the first one shows up on the DJI web page.....is that all there is? They reference another one at the end of it, but it doesn't seem to be there...or is my internet just screwed up?
I will likely have more serious questions after tomorrow! Thanks!
Moabarch is offline Find More Posts by Moabarch
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:10 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabarch View Post
Hi all,
I am brand new here and read (I think) every word you folks have written regarding the Vision. Mine arrives tomorrow....it's my first entry into this hobby. I was a military helicopter pilot for 23 years....which likely means nothing at all really...so on to my question: I thought I would get a jump on the training videos on this thing, but only the first one shows up on the DJI web page.....is that all there is? They reference another one at the end of it, but it doesn't seem to be there...or is my internet just screwed up?
I will likely have more serious questions after tomorrow! Thanks!
Welcome! Heli experience will help some, but being on the outside when kicking the tail around is a new experience. There is only the one Vision video posted so far but watch the regular Phantom videos, they will help you to see what to expect.

The key thing in your favor with a Vision, it's pretty smart. If you panic, just let go of the sticks and it will stop and hover on station all by itself. Just be sure and follow the setup, calibrate the compass, and be sure it initializes properly so it will be able to return to home and auto land if you really get messed up. I'm sure you've downloaded the manual and read thru it?
Last edited by RemE; Nov 06, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined Nov 2013
30 Posts
nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
What device?
Sorry, I'm using the nexus 7 and there is no download app from the play store. Devise not compatible. Using 4.2.2 Android
wolfmanmike is offline Find More Posts by wolfmanmike
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Jul 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanmike View Post
Sorry, I'm using the nexus 7 and there is no download app from the play store. Devise not compatible. Using 4.2.2 Android
Try scanning the QR code on the package
Laserbazooka is offline Find More Posts by Laserbazooka
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:05 AM
Joined Nov 2013
4 Posts
My Experience First Test Flight

Aloha from Hawaii,

I did my first test flight with my Vision. I can say it was al little hair raising at first. I own a Phantom 1 with a ZENMUSE GOPRO H3-2D BRUSHLESS GIMBAL and primarily like to do straight down over head shots. I did notice with the Vision that it lost signal at about 60ft if i went straight up. I could go higher if I was not underneath the unit but at 50ft from home I went all the way up to 120ft till I got my practice shot straight down.

Any suggestions on what I could do to rectify this? Any one else has has this issue?
Topher808 is offline Find More Posts by Topher808
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:06 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,453 Posts
I've got a general Phantom throttle stick question. I'm not completely sure about the low throttle behavior. When I flew mine I was gentle on the sticks. I know when I land and hold the throttle at idle, the props stop after 3 seconds. Does the vision know the difference of being landed and in flight regarding throttle? If I'm super high up then hold the stick at minimum throttle, will it soft land? Any chance of props stopping while still airborne???

I want to know that in flight even when doing a maximum descent that I can't stop the props.
Last edited by RemE; Nov 06, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:53 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Took some video while I am in Cincinnati .... slow internet so I downgraded to 720P.

https://vimeo.com/78691067
Nice stuff Sidney...
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Nov 06, 2013, 06:03 AM
United States, MA, Norwell
Joined Mar 2013
7 Posts
Phantom Vision Assistant Software

I got my Vision and have flown it a few times. Great machine!

I notice on the Vision Support page that there are 2 software downloads:

Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software v1.01 2013/11/01
Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.0 2013/11/05

What's the difference and which one should I use?
JohnBos is offline Find More Posts by JohnBos
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:24 AM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined May 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp70 View Post
Has anyone successfully used the DJI $150.00 Coupon when ordering the Phantom Vision? I have the coupon code I received from DJI's website. I have been to Dronefly.com and BH Photo's site and do not see anywhere on the site to redeem the DJI Coupon. How do we get credit for the $150.00 Coupon?

Rick

There is a place on the DroneFly checkout page and one on the BH Photo page to enter the Coupon Code. My code did not work on either site though. Contacted DJI support and they said the code was valid. DroneFly did not respond to my email enquiry.

Let me know if anyone else has gotten it to work and what magic they had to do?

Jim K.
Jimcking is offline Find More Posts by Jimcking
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:12 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBos View Post
I got my Vision and have flown it a few times. Great machine!

I notice on the Vision Support page that there are 2 software downloads:

Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software v1.01 2013/11/01
Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.0 2013/11/05

What's the difference and which one should I use?
You will use the v1.01 software for the Vision and if you want to change the function of the RC Tx then you use the RC Assistant software v1.0.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:32 AM
Mile High Club
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2013
154 Posts
It was my impression that it was more of a rebate than a coupon. Dronefly.com responded to my inquiry within 20 minutes. You can use the rebate even after you have purchased the vision they confirmed with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimcking View Post
There is a place on the DroneFly checkout page and one on the BH Photo page to enter the Coupon Code. My code did not work on either site though. Contacted DJI support and they said the code was valid. DroneFly did not respond to my email enquiry.

Let me know if anyone else has gotten it to work and what magic they had to do?

Jim K.
RCcolorado is offline Find More Posts by RCcolorado