HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2013, 01:16 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,594 Posts
Just some basics;

Remember to rotate the WiFi Extender so it points towards the Vision, it's a more directional antenna design.

On the control transmission side, make sure that the white radio whip antenna does not point directly at the Vision, it should point to either side. Think of the radio waves coming off of the whip in a funnel cone shape. The signal is stronger from the sides and weak looking right at the tip.

Lastly, Sidney mentioned reducing the video stream rate if the WiFi signal is weak. Change the "Preview Quality" on page 46 of the manual, in the iPhone app, set the preview quality to 320x240 15frames per second. This will take some load off of the WiFi video link. Experiment with the various settings to tailor the video stream rate to the iPhone for best performance.

Report back!
RemE is online now Find More Posts by RemE
Last edited by RemE; Nov 03, 2013 at 01:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2013, 01:39 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce9 View Post
RemE, that's really great to know the AMPros came up to you and brought a replacement. I might just buy one from them after hearing your situation. How do you like the PV2? I sold my Blade 350QX because it did not really have the features I wanted unlike the new PV2.
Yup, I'm still grinning AMPros are my new best friends, I would absolutely deal with them.

The way I see it you have Horizon, a forward thinking RC group making reasonable and pretty cool new craft in a constant stream. Ultra Micros, adding 3 axis stabilization, etc. with very good support. The 350 is like a delux RC toy, pretty nicely optimized as a fast and fun model, really aerobatic, and decent overall performance. When folks outfit them for FPV, they are like sports cars, but only fly for 6-8minutes. Folks are demanding more in the way of camera use, and there have been issues. Shedding blades, quality issue, GPS issues with some cameras spewing stray RF interference etc.

On the other hand you have DJI, kind of like Futaba, these folks make very hi end professional gear for industry, plus they have a "Hobby" line. So the Phantom class machines are high end designs brought down to the hobby level. The Phantom Vision is a next gen camera centric platform. I don't expect it will be as agile as a 350QX but I watched a video of a Vision trailing a speed boat at 19mph for 27minutes straight, very cool.

So that's why I too backed out of the 350QX and took a big hit in the process. I really appreciate how unique the Vision is, they did an outstanding job making use of current technology like iPhones and really leveraging them. It costs more but you get far far more product.

My only wish is for the option to add advanced modes if desired using the Assistant software. I'm weird that way, I own transmitters like the 18MZ because I love the freedom to program switches and curves just the way I want. For this model I would like to be able to enable both switches to allow manual RTH activation and the IOC modes. The beauty of the assistant software is that people can choose to have a simple Vision or a more sophisticated Vision. Some of us like a little complexity in our lives!
Old Nov 03, 2013, 01:47 AM
United States, CA, West Covina
Joined Aug 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
Yup, I'm still grinning AMPros are my new best friends, I would absolutely deal with them.

The way I see it you have Horizon, a forward thinking RC group making reasonable and pretty cool new craft in a constant stream. Ultra Micros, adding 3 axis stabilization, etc. with very good support. The 350 is like a delux RC toy, pretty nicely optimized as a fast and fun model, really aerobatic, and decent overall performance. When folks outfit them for FPV, they are like sports cars, but only fly for 6-8minutes. Folks are demanding more in the way of camera use, and there have been issues. Shedding blades, quality issue, GPS issues with some cameras spewing stray RF interference etc.

On the other hand you have DJI, kind of like Futaba, these folks make very hi end professional gear for industry, plus they have a "Hobby" line. So the Phantom class machines are high end designs brought down to the hobby level. The Phantom Vision is a next gen camera centric platform. I don't expect it will be as agile as a 350QX but I watched a video of a Vision trailing a speed boat at 19mph for 27minutes straight, very cool.

So that's why I too backed out of the 350QX and took a big hit in the process. I really appreciate how unique the Vision is, they did an outstanding job making use of current technology like iPhones and really leveraging them. It costs more but you get far far more product.

My only wish is for the option to add advanced modes if desired using the Assistant software. I'm weird that way, I own transmitters like the 18MZ because I love the freedom to program switches and curves just the way I want. For this model I would like to be able to enable both switches to allow manual RTH activation and the IOC modes. The beauty of the assistant software is that people can choose to have a simple Vision or a more sophisticated Vision. Some of us like a little complexity in our lives!
Well said. Post some videos. Of course when you have time! Thanks for the input.
gforce9 is offline Find More Posts by gforce9
Old Nov 03, 2013, 01:47 AM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom604 View Post
That is awesome they helped you out. I noticed their stuff online and I like their company already and reading your first hand experience just solidifies it.
Ya, I was so impressed with their video production work on the few videos I've seen so far, that's what turned my head, very creative people.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 02:29 AM
Joined Sep 2013
418 Posts
Newbie Question

I have the Phantom 1 and love it and thinking of moving to the Vision.

I am a Mode 1 flyer and could get the Phantom 1 in Mode 1 but there is no option for the Vision. I read in a thread you can change this in the Assistant but when I downloaded the assistant there was no option to do so.

Am I correct in assuming as I did not have a Vision to connect to the software not all options are there or is this aircraft strictly Mode 2. Would be a lot of money to spend on something I cannot fly (do not want to change to Mode 2 as I have a number of aircraft and quads on Mode 1)

Thanks in advance.

Tony
ajb965 is offline Find More Posts by ajb965
Old Nov 03, 2013, 03:54 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Oct 2012
419 Posts
Quote:
Keep us posted, things should be better now.

Remember, the extender acts like a WiFi Hotspot, your phone is only talking to the extender so the phone model doesn't matter since it's talking to extender the phone's range is not an issue. The extender then transmits at a higher power with a better antenna up to the Vision and as we've seen in photos earlier in the thread, the Vision camera has dual WiFi patch antennas as well.
Like people mod their AR Drones. Would be cool to hack (or may be easier) to use this extender of DJI Phantom Vision 2 to control Parrots for higher distances. BUT again I had just sold m parrot becuase wifi was not relable at all for such a cool quad although it was not able no carry more than 100 gr. Anyway Vision is nice just a little pricy eventually price may drop in the future depending on competion as it happened with the intro of NAZA M lite and price drop of Original Phantom.
gur75 is offline Find More Posts by gur75
Old Nov 03, 2013, 09:27 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,151 Posts
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myslef..
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Nov 03, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
Quote:
The beauty of the assistant software is that people can choose to have a simple Vision or a more sophisticated Vision. Some of us like a little complexity in our lives!
I am not sure from your post, is it or is it not possible to program RTH with the assistant software? Mine is on the way. I do enjoy the RTH with the QX 350.
Thanks, John
John R. is offline Find More Posts by John R.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 12:00 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,594 Posts
Currently RTH can not be activated via the TX switches. It will RTH if it looses the RF Link either due to out-of-range or obstruction/interference. If you turn off the TX it will also RTH but others have said not to do this.

So for now, we can only request that DJI allow us to add these capabilities via the Assistant software.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 04:45 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
A glimpse of things to come

iPad Mini attachment
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:13 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,594 Posts
Very nice! May I offer some feedback?
1 - I love that you can leave the stock holder setup leaving options open.
2 - Can the rear box on your holder be a much lower profile or be collapsible in some way?
3 - I'm inclined to mount the pad lower, overlapping the switches, to stay as far away from the TX antenna to maximize its output (don't really know how much this matters).

The reason I ask is that I picked up one of the custom transit cases from Dronefly that is supposed to be for the Phantom. With just a bit of additional carving it fits the Vision with all accessories, Transmitter with extender and phone mount arm, iPad Mini, charger, 4 batteries, and two sets of props. This mount would need to be thin to fit in the case.

I Maidened my Vision this morning, 5-10 MPH winds, gusting. It flew great but I had issues seeing much with the iPhone so I'm very motivated to get the iPad Mini mounted up. I'll post more on my experience later, but I really love this Vision!

I have collected a few parts and will post up what I'm thinking about as well. Simply, I found a very thin case bottom with a tripod mount in the back , adding a miniature articulating head that will clamp onto the stock TX mounted arm's ball. This also allows one to swap either mount onto the ball which should also be very easy.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:27 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
861 Posts
Thank you, it is pretty thin but the rear box attachment can't be collapsible. We are using a sponge rubber piece that must be hard so that the clamp can support the iPad Mini. We could make it smaller and move it upward which would bring the iPad lower over the switches for you.
As it is now, the rubber block is in the middle and a bit long so one could move the iPad left or right in a position they like. Doing flight test and using it, I have found I like it a bit center and upward to balance the weight. With all my test it hasn't bothered the TX antennas output at all. I am getting the same distance with the iPad as I would with the iPhone.

Inside is a thin cushion to protect the iPad from scratches or damage.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:32 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
iPhone is NOT for you if you meet one or more of the followings-

* you are receiving AARP leaflet monthly
* you use reading glass that makes everything look bigger
* you wake up early (before 7 in the morning including weekends) fear of loosing daylight
* your children no longer live with you
* your back hurts even you don't do much
* you have a tendency not listen to people half your age

Try Samsung phone with slightly larger screen; at least you don't show signs of being a person who meets all the above.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 03, 2013, 05:47 PM
Tweaker
Corona Del Mar
Joined Sep 2005
7,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
iPhone is NOT for you if you meet one or more of the followings-

* you are receiving AARP leaflet monthly
* you use reading glass that makes everything look bigger
* you wake up early (before 7 in the morning including weekends) fear of loosing daylight
* your children no longer live with you
* your back hurts even you don't do much
* you have a tendency not listen to people half your age

Try Samsung phone with slightly larger screen; at least you don't show signs of being a person who meets all the above.
check
check
check
check
check
check
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2013
30 Posts
Can't find the vision app for the nexus 7. Got it for my iPhone. Any help??
wolfmanmike is offline Find More Posts by wolfmanmike