HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Ghost who walks, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:39 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
Build Log
Mermaid floatplane

I had cut out the Mermaid a while ago to build alongside "Alphawhisky" to assist Alan with his first Depron build, (as it turns out he didn't need any assistance as his plane is finished and is a fantastic looking build) but I had other projects on the building table that stopped me from getting into it.
I have now decided its time to build it, but I am going to modify it a little.
I am going to make the rudder work full height and I am also going to make the rudder deeper in the water as well. To do this I have to change the horizontal stab, so I am going to make it full flying.
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ghost who walks; Nov 19, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:31 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
Mermaid progress

Have got a bit more done on the mermaid over Christmas break. All flying tail looks good but did twist a bit with gluing (hoping to get this out with CF rod and when bottom is glued on) I am thinking I can reduce the width of the elevator back to the rudder hinge line (this will be a trial and error thing) due to the amount of travel I have available and the amount of moving surface area for control is considerable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:45 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
Wings started

Found off RCG a really easy hot wire cutter for tapered wings, so I thought I would give it a go.
Basically a really long wire anchored to a screw.
works on converging lines principle. so make the wire long enough to touch neatly either side of your wing panel, then using bull dog clips attach your power supply to either side of the wing and you just pull on the end of the wire to create the wire tension which takes up the stretch when it heats up as well
Here is the link for anyone who may read my blog it is by TFLG
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191128

Wings are slightly longer than plan and are profiled instead of flat foam.
I am hoping to use this as an FPV ship down the track.
As I am only going to fly off water with it, I intend to fibre glass or carbon fibre the wings to help prevent dings and make them stronger, so this with FPV are the reasons I have lengthened them slightly (I think it is 50mm each wing not sure will have to measure).
RCG Plus Member