HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
108 Posts
Discussion
How Many Times Did You Crash This Year?

The RC season is wrapping up for the winter and I feel that no crash should go in vain. If nothing more than to learn from or for the amusement of others. I want to know how many significant crashes you had this year, what was the most expensive plane you destroyed? How did it happen, etc... Post pics or videos if you have them. Or tell us if you were lucky enough to make it the whole year thus far unscathed.

Go easy on me, just learned to fly this year.

I destroyed two HZ champs, a PZ Ember, Night Vapor and a SuperFly X, a Gamma 370 Pro and my worst crash of all was my 2 day old PZ T-28 when the wing folded several hundreds of feet in the air and it stuck like a lawn dart in the grass and smashed into pieces. I posted a video of the damage below.

Since the T-28 incident about 3 months ago I bought a PZ Extra 300, Another Gamma and a CAP 232 BP which have all remained unscathed aside from the superficial prop whack and a couple "rough" landings, nothing a little CA would not fix.

Spinner, prop and motor stuck in the grass @ 0:49
Parkzone T-28 Crash Aftermath (2 min 49 sec)
tyhollin is offline Find More Posts by tyhollin
Last edited by tyhollin; Oct 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:39 AM
Learn to build with wood.
Tucci's Avatar
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
893 Posts
A bunch. Got pictures of a few. Just put my brand new p40 into the ground yesterday. Thank goodness it was only from about 12 ft, so the damage was relatively minor....
Tucci is online now Find More Posts by Tucci
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
A bunch. Got pictures of a few. Just put my brand new p40 into the ground yesterday. Thank goodness it was only from about 12 ft, so the damage was relatively minor....
Nice... On pic 6 looks like you busted the motor mount... How do you fix something like that on a balsa plane? My cap is bound to bust it's stick mount one of these days and I always wondered how to properly repair something like that.
tyhollin is offline Find More Posts by tyhollin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:52 AM
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,564 Posts
One crash.

One hard landing.


Crash cost about 250 for replacement kit to build fuse.

Hard landing cost almost nothing for some repair wood.

Both cost many hours to rebuild.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:05 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
CyberJay's Avatar
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,065 Posts
The interesting statistic would be crashes over total flight time. But then we should also factor in how many different models you fly, because I would assume someone with a lot of time on one model would do better than someone who split their time between 20 different models.

I crashed my Blade 300x three times this year. Minor damage on the first one, more significant damage on the second two, but still very repairable. I totaled my Blade 500x when it had about 14-16hrs of flight time on it. That one was awful, very sad day. I had two hard landings with my 130x where I had to hit throttle hold and let it hit the ground. No damage. I also had to hit throttle hold on my Trex 450L when I lost tail control. That one stripped the tail gears but did no other damage.

I landed my T-28 inverted on the middle of the runway, no damage but if it was full scale that would definitely be a crash. I also clipped the wing on some high grass and broke one of the wing mounts, so that one is a crash.

I also rammed my Nano CPX, Nano QX, Mini Vapor, mSRX, and maybe some other micros into the walls. I guess I bought a few pairs of blades for the Nano CPX and a couple canopies for the Nano CPX for the year. Everything else has so little energy that it doesn't hurt itself when it crashes.

Had two incidents with quads. First one was not mine but a friends that I built for him. His first time seeing it fly I said "Hey check this out!" and punched it. One of the prop adapters broke in half, lost the prop, crashed the quad. He was cool about it. Second was mine, just flying around my yard about 50' up and one of the blades on my right rear prop flew off. I'm amazed that I was able to maintain control and have a hard landing in the yard. The battery fell out of the velcro due to the vibrations, but the deans connector did not let go which is really lucky. No damage.

Also crashed my auto gyro. Caused a little damage to the fuselage, but a little CA and some covering and it was good as new.

Flying helicopters since 2005. Fixed wing since 2007. Auto gyro since 2011. Quads since July of this year.

-J
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:04 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
The interesting statistic would be crashes over total flight time. But then we should also factor in how many different models you fly, because I would assume someone with a lot of time on one model would do better than someone who split their time between 20 different models.

I crashed my Blade 300x three times this year. Minor damage on the first one, more significant damage on the second two, but still very repairable. I totaled my Blade 500x when it had about 14-16hrs of flight time on it. That one was awful, very sad day. I had two hard landings with my 130x where I had to hit throttle hold and let it hit the ground. No damage. I also had to hit throttle hold on my Trex 450L when I lost tail control. That one stripped the tail gears but did no other damage.

I landed my T-28 inverted on the middle of the runway, no damage but if it was full scale that would definitely be a crash. I also clipped the wing on some high grass and broke one of the wing mounts, so that one is a crash.

I also rammed my Nano CPX, Nano QX, Mini Vapor, mSRX, and maybe some other micros into the walls. I guess I bought a few pairs of blades for the Nano CPX and a couple canopies for the Nano CPX for the year. Everything else has so little energy that it doesn't hurt itself when it crashes.

Had two incidents with quads. First one was not mine but a friends that I built for him. His first time seeing it fly I said "Hey check this out!" and punched it. One of the prop adapters broke in half, lost the prop, crashed the quad. He was cool about it. Second was mine, just flying around my yard about 50' up and one of the blades on my right rear prop flew off. I'm amazed that I was able to maintain control and have a hard landing in the yard. The battery fell out of the velcro due to the vibrations, but the deans connector did not let go which is really lucky. No damage.

Also crashed my auto gyro. Caused a little damage to the fuselage, but a little CA and some covering and it was good as new.

Flying helicopters since 2005. Fixed wing since 2007. Auto gyro since 2011. Quads since July of this year.

-J
I agree, flight time is a huge variable. I figure anyone who spends their time on an rc forum probably puts in some good flight time though. It sounds like you had a fun year!
tyhollin is offline Find More Posts by tyhollin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
One crash.

One hard landing.


Crash cost about 250 for replacement kit to build fuse.

Hard landing cost almost nothing for some repair wood.

Both cost many hours to rebuild.
All the planes I've flown and crashed this year have taken between 1 minute to 4 hours to build. I can imagine the build/rebuild time of some of these planes make the crashes all the more personal, maybe even more so than the financial aspect. I'm building a plane this winter so I'm sure I'll feel the heartbreak sometime next year, hopefully several flights down the road.
tyhollin is offline Find More Posts by tyhollin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:16 AM
Depron Daz
Daz393's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
"Broke the canopy, and the cockpit"...... Mate, you have no plane left to put them on so I wouldn't worry about either
Did you not have any reinforcement through the wing at all? Any foam plane should have some kind of reinforcement to stop the wings folding when doing loops etc. You've learned the hard way. It is worth cutting into the wing and fitting one. Just because the kit didn't have one doesn't mean it don't need it. It looked like a large enough plane to have had one fitted regardless, I'm surprised they've built it without one.
Also make sure you disconnect the battery for safety when you first get to your crashed plane, and put the lipo to one side and leave it for a while.
Sorry to see the damage caused though
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:29 AM
Registered User
Bill Smudge's Avatar
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
You gotta be kidding!!!

That's like trying to say how many stars are in the sky. hehe

Too many to count, best forgotten and not remembered...... hehe
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
One crash.

One hard landing.


Crash cost about 250 for replacement kit to build fuse.

Hard landing cost almost nothing for some repair wood.

Both cost many hours to rebuild.
The debris field with the "crash" plane was impressive. I'd give you good scores! I flew a 50 size balsa through a live oak tree at full chat and confetti came out the other side. I got good scores from my club friends. It even broke the rcvr case.
If ya gotta do it, do it well!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
The debris field with the "crash" plane was impressive...
I especially like the "divot" where the nose wheel dug in.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
Got Another Prop?
WadesRC's Avatar
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Aug 2006
587 Posts
Combat junkies don't crash, they score!
WadesRC is offline Find More Posts by WadesRC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
Learn to build with wood.
Tucci's Avatar
United States, NC, Newport
Joined Sep 2012
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhollin View Post
Nice... On pic 6 looks like you busted the motor mount... How do you fix something like that on a balsa plane? My cap is bound to bust it's stick mount one of these days and I always wondered how to properly repair something like that.
Balsa is easy to fix. Just cut some new parts and glue them in. There was actually quite a bit of damage to that one. Firewall, first fuselage former, wing mounts, tail...
Tucci is online now Find More Posts by Tucci
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
Registered User
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
If I'm honest on first reading this thread early this morning I felt,... not smug, no. but satisfied. I haven't destroyed a plane in ages. A few bumps here and there to be sure, but compared to when I started out I'm a pretty decent pilot now.


Then I started to really think about it.
I've scratch built an Xf5u this year and in the process of getting that sorted there's been one or two crashes,... or three or four. None too horrific although she did once lose power and come down just below my LOS. She hit the hill side and slid down until she was up against the fence by a major river. If she'd been a couple of inches lower I'd probably have lost her completely as it was one semi-scale sprung leg looks like it went for a swim.
Then there was flying the Bd-5 straight into a lamp-post. The plane was fine! But I later found out I had killed the camera (on the video) I've since upgraded the motor and ESC but duration since has been catastrophic and I've hit LVC unexpectedly and actually managed to damage what is a very tough little bird.
I also badly crashed my Windrider scout bee fpv plane due to using a voltage regulator that it turns out wasn't up the the job (Fine on paper - on the video.) My Mig 15 has had a couple of bumps (one on the video) but nothing terminal, although she'll never look as pretty as she did out of the box (In the vid I wanted to snatch one last flight at sunset and it was very dubious light, much darker than the clip makes it look (honest guv!), I'd been driven away from my usual spot by a vast herd of teenagers to a much narrower strip of field and there was a crosswind etc etc If only I'd held the elevator down all would have been fine but she skipped and,...)
Then there was my Quad. It's had a couple of weird inexplicable failures.The last crash was it's end (the one on the vid). I rarely find damage irreparable but I decided enough was enough and scrapped it. The control board went to my HK Dr-1 which flew really well for a while but has now also developed really strange unpredictable behaviour,... Hmmm,...

So! I guess things haven't really changed all that much for me besides getting better at repairs than I was when I started flying Rc.

Kev

2013SOfar (1 min 24 sec)
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:32 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,896 Posts
We've only had two crashes all year, but both were on the same day and on two flights in a row.

On 4 July, we went to one club's field and did some test flights and all went well. Then, later that day, we went out to our other club's field, taking along Micki's 2-meter Sharpie powered glider and my new Ulu pattern ship, neither one of which had been along with us that morning.

A few minutes into her flight, Micki got disoriented high up and far away, against a cirrus backdrop. By the time I saw she was in trouble, the Sharpie was going straight down and the wing was fluttering. It failed before I could get to her (as if I could've done anything she couldn't!).

After we picked up the pieces, I really didn't want to fly, but I went ahead and put the Ulu up. After a few passes, I don't know what happened, but the Ulu made a hard 1/4 outside loop, tossing the battery (I don't do outsides -- I hate 'em.). I had the pack firmly Velcroed in, with tape around it, but the hard down tossed the whole thing. No battery = no radio, and since the model was heading straight down...no Ulu.

Both were scratch-built models; one was published in QEFI last Spring and the second will be published in the December RCMW, so they weren't total losses, but, still, losing two in a day -- the only two all year (So far!), and not having a clue about why the Ulu went to full down...that stinks!

CD
Captain Dunsel is online now Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question how many different types of sanctioned sailplane contests did you fly this year? Kenny Sharp Sailplane Talk 15 Sep 06, 2013 07:21 PM
Discussion How many hours did you fly this year ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 17 Jan 01, 2012 04:15 PM
Question How many Micro RTFs did you get this year? jimjim06 Micro Ready-to-Fly 38 Dec 24, 2010 09:14 AM
Discussion how many times did you crash when starting fpv? NDw FPV Talk 36 Dec 01, 2010 01:07 AM
Andy, how many posts did you lose to the HD crash??? David Hogue Electric Plane Talk 1 Sep 08, 2001 08:05 AM