SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2013, 07:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Discussion
The E-Flite Carbon-Z Carbon Cub floatplane thread

The release of the new giant scale foam E-Flite Carbon-Z Carbon Cub is imminent.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991683

Basic specs are:

84.6" wingspan with a length of 55.8", making it about 1/5 scale
Power system: Power 50 outrunner turning a 15x15.5 prop with a 60 Amp ESC on 6s 3200 to 5000 lipos.
Wing area is around 1100 sq inches and the wing loading is 17 oz/sq ft.
Comes with flaps and with 6 servos installed.

The model is available two ways: as a PnP for a suggested price of 379.99 and as a BnF Basic with an AR635 AS3X equipped RX included (no battery) for just 20 bucks more.

One nice feature is that Horizon has created a special set of large foam floats for this new Cub. I predict these will come in handy for other large models as well.

The special float set has a suggested price of 89.99 and includes an installed servo for the water rudder.

Link to float set manual:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/EFL1045016_Manual.pdf

Seems like a no brainer to get the BnF Basic as you get an Rx worth $100.00 for just 20 bucks more.

Not a small investment when you include the floats, but it is by far the least expensive giant scale Cub once it is fully equipped and ready to go. A lot of airplane and equipment for the money.

There is a huge thread about the new Carbon Cub over in the scale area that is dedicated to this interesting new giant foamy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991683

I thought it would be worth having a smaller, more manageable thread here in the Waterplanes forum related to operating this model as a floatplane.

I have one on order at my great local hobby shop, Roy's Hobby in Hurst, Tx. I ordered the floats at the same time.

We have an upcoming end of the season float fly on Nov 9 and I hope to get it wet, then for a fairly early report on how it does on the water.

Any other of the Waterplanes regulars planning on getting one?

If do, please post your results and experiences in here.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Oct 17, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 05:27 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Apr 2013
590 Posts
I would like to get one. I am currently flying a Flyzone DHC2 -Beaver for practice. I also added floats to a Hangar 9 J3 Cub (81" wing span- 6S). Today is the maiden of the Cub on water.

I'm sure by the time the carbon Z cub is in stock at my shop, I'll be ready to upgrade.

I previously owned the UMX carbon cub but it didn't seem to like water. The servos kept reversing, jittering or getting stuck. After letting it dry, it would fly nice again. I'm hoping this bigger version will have less holes in the fuse and have more clearance for splashing.
wilanz is online now Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Oct 18, 2013, 01:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
I would like to get one. I am currently flying a Flyzone DHC2 -Beaver for practice. I also added floats to a Hangar 9 J3 Cub (81" wing span- 6S). Today is the maiden of the Cub on water.

I'm sure by the time the carbon Z cub is in stock at my shop, I'll be ready to upgrade.

I previously owned the UMX carbon cub but it didn't seem to like water. The servos kept reversing, jittering or getting stuck. After letting it dry, it would fly nice again. I'm hoping this bigger version will have less holes in the fuse and have more clearance for splashing.
The open frame uMX servos are not ideal for using on seaplanes, due to the exposed linear pot that centers the servo.

Perhaps some improved servo splash guards would help the little uMX Carbon Cub.

The big Carbon Cub is not going to have nearly the same issues as it uses normal closed servos. I also see from the float instructions that the float conversion includes splash guards for the two main cooling air vents on the bottom of the fuse.

With normal use of CorriosionX, I bet the big Carbon Cub is going to be a great waterplane.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Oct 18, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
The arrival date at Horizon is now looking to be about the middle of next week. Hoping it arrives at my LHS around 11/6 or 11/7 and I will be able to get it put together for our float fly on 11/9.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Thinking about an early mod to the floats for this model. The bare wire struts for the floats are not very attractive on a 1/5 scale model. Will have to add some streamline K&S aluminum tubing to the wires, or something else similar.

Ought to have the model in hand by 10/31, according to the shipping info at Roy's Hobby Shop. Floats were indeed with the shipment as well.

Weather permitting, water flight report the weekend of Nov 9-10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2013, 06:58 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,277 Posts
Checked on the order with my local hobby shop and was told it now looks like mid-November. By that time, the water around here will likely be solid and I'll be looking to mount skis before too long.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:02 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Checked on the order with my local hobby shop and was told it now looks like mid-November. By that time, the water around here will likely be solid and I'll be looking to mount skis before too long.
One of the advantages of living down here is that our temps through the end of Nov can often be at highs of 60-70 degrees during the day. We typically have great weather for our "winter" float fly in early Nov.

Summers are not as comfortable....

Back to the big foamie Cub. I reviewed the float installation and one nice detail is that they include some small plastic fairings that serve to shield the two air vents, intake and exit, on the bottom of the fuse of the big Cub from water splashing into the bottom of the fuse. They still allow the flow of cooling air, but perhaps not quite as much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:43 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Apr 2013
590 Posts
I'm flying a 81" hangar 9 cub balsa with floats. It's been tough to shorten up the landings. I'm hoping the Carbon Z Cub flaps will help. Or maybe it will be a little bit lighter.

There are plenty of small ponds for me to fly nearby but it's a 30 min drive to the bigger lakes. I enjoy flying off water and want to be able to do it in smaller areas. The 55" Beaver worked nice. Now I'm considering the Apprentice S on floats instead of this bigger scale one.

I'm looking forward to hearing how effective the flaps are for short landings. From the videos it looks like take offs are pretty quick.
wilanz is online now Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:37 PM
Flyer, not a builder ;)
United States, NC, Harnett County
Joined Feb 2007
208 Posts
She's here, putting her together and so far I'm impressed! Can't wait to fly it
VKGT is offline Find More Posts by VKGT
Old Nov 05, 2013, 05:45 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Got my Cub last Wed and got three flights on it this past weekend on the wheels. HH knocked this one out of the ballpark. Flying qualities are near perfect. Great presence in the air.

One awesome flying machine. Tons of early flight reviews over in the big thread in the scale electic area.

But, a glitch on the floats yesterday. Turns out HH underestimated the demand for the floats and fell far short of the quantity needed to fill all the orders. My LHS did not get any floats and will not for months to come.

I was REALLY hoping to get the Cub wet this weekend at the last float fly of the year. Am looking around for floats at other shops. None local got any floats, but a few made it to various on line retailers.

Wish me luck. Better yet, if you are in the DFW area and happened to get a set of floats, drop me a PM. I want to rent your floats for the weekend.... or buy them.

Will drive for floats!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 10:40 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,402 Posts
The plane looks really nice and the promo video that Horizon has is very interesting but I just can't see investing literally hundereds of dollars into a large piece of foam.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:29 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
The plane looks really nice and the promo video that Horizon has is very interesting but I just can't see investing literally hundereds of dollars into a large piece of foam.
I agree. Investing 400 in a large price of foam is not a very attractive idea.

However, when you buy this model, you get far more than a large hunk of foam.

You get:

A 50 class brushless motor worth 40-50 bucks.
A 60 amp Eflite Pro ESC worth at least 40-50 bucks
Four mini digital metal gear servos and two 13 gram digital servos worth at least 90 bucks.
An AR635 RX that goes for $100 by itself.

Add that up and the included equipment is worth $270 to $290, reducing the cost of the large peice of foam to around $110 to $130. Figure the fun stuff like the tundra tires are free extras.

Lots of value in this model. My LHS sold the BnF to me for $370. So my hunk of foam was less than a hundred bucks....

This is already a runaway best seller for Horizon with the models basically sold out of the entire first delivery, and with the next shipment going fast.

Flight performance is simply great. Well worth the money.

It is an easy way to get a giant scale Cub into the air for about 50-75% of the cost of any other approach.

And well executed foam aircraft have some real utility as seaplanes due to the construction material.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 05, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:20 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Ok, finally managed to find some floats at an on line retailer and spent some extra cash to get them here via two day shipping.

Will have floats by Thursday, so looking good to try the Cub as a floatplane on Saturday!

Will report on how it all goes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2013, 01:26 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Never mind reporting! There has to be someone there that can point a video camera
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:24 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I agree. Investing 400 in a large piece of foam is not a very attractive idea.

However...
+1

In addition to all those fine points, near zero build time gets my vote every time.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield