HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2004, 01:24 PM
Joined Feb 2004
212 Posts
Best LiPo Battery Select?

Anyone has e best recommendation for e best LiPo battery for e DragonFly. I would like to ask what are e rating/ specifications i would hv to look out for LiPo batteries if i were to upgrade to a brushless motor in future.

By e way hope u can throw in ure suggestion for a gd charger to go with e LiPo too.

Thanx for e suggestions... keep them coming. Thanx
blueprints is offline Find More Posts by blueprints
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2004, 01:37 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Jun 2003
264 Posts
well, there really isn't much of a selection for lipos, there are only a few very good choices to choose from, and 2s1p configurations are best for stock dragonfly motors and 3s1p can be recommended if you decide to upgrade to a brushless setup, the main ratings to watch out for are the current draw tolerances, you want more than 7C and at least 6 Amps continuous current:

Etec 1200 mAh - IMHO the best available in terms of price and current draw tolerance. For 24 bucks it can pump out 9 amps while giving a great amount of it's 1200 mAh capacity. These can be had from av8hobbies.com with shipping included and are available practically everywhere.

Thunder Power 1300 mAh - A little heavier and more expensive that etecs and not really worth the extra 10 bucks in price, gives 8-9 amps continuous, aeromicro.com and allerc.com probably have some in stock.

Kokam 1500 mAh HD - heavier than the Thunder Power 1300 still but it can give current draw in the ranges of 10-12 amps and is similar in price to the Thunder Power, b-p-p.com is the best place for prebuilt packs of these.

Irate / Tanic 850 mAh - The lightest option, this is new technology and delivers 7 - 8 amps continuous, lightflightrc.com, cheapbatterypacks.com, and tanicbatterypacks probably have them, but they're hard to find in stock.

Irate / Tanic 1100 mAh - Similar to the etec but costs a lot more, b-p-p.com has some of these in stock.

As for chargers, I'd throw a vote in the way of Great Planes Triton, charges everything available out there, it's max charge current is 2.5 amps, but thats more than enough for the lipos we use on micro-heli's.

cheers,
-freddy
Freddy418 is offline Find More Posts by Freddy418
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:27 PM
Joined Feb 2004
212 Posts
Thanx Freddy. I think i hv a better picture on which to get now. Thanx for e detailed recommendation.

Thanx!!!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:33 PM
Joined Feb 2004
212 Posts
Freddy,

Would u know how much difference in terms of weight if i were to compare a Kokam 1500 mAh to e stock battery that came together in e package. Lastly wads e model of ure heli?
Old Feb 20, 2004, 02:40 PM
Joined Feb 2004
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueprints
Freddy,

Would u know how much difference in terms of weight if i were to compare a Kokam 1500 mAh to e stock battery that came together in e package.
Would there be any problems to hv the 3s1p LiPo configuration run e stock motor.

This is because im considering to change to a brushless motor in e near future(need to save up a little b4 dat). But i would like to get LiPo batteries first n use it on e stock motor till i get a brushless. Would it be alrite to do so?

Lastly wads e model of ure heli?
Old Feb 20, 2004, 03:17 PM
coventry uk
Joined Nov 2002
824 Posts
i put a pack of irate 2s 500's on my dragonfly, much to lite, went up like a rocket but the head speed was to low due to the reduction in weight [the pack weighs 1oz] and i got bad vibs.
need to cut the blades to reduce lift and increase head speed. pity no one makes an ajustable pitch blade set
going to lighter li-polys can have cause other problems.

t.n
t.nollett is offline Find More Posts by t.nollett
Old Feb 20, 2004, 04:31 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Jun 2003
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueprints
Freddy,

Would u know how much difference in terms of weight if i were to compare a Kokam 1500 mAh to e stock battery that came together in e package. Lastly wads e model of ure heli?
the stock 8 cell (700 mAh?) battery for the piccolo weights a little over 100 grams, and the kokam 1500 weights about three-quarters that amount, or 72 - 75 grams. I use Etecs on my piccolo, but I have also upgraded to brushless, so it's a lovely combination of power and efficiency.

cheers,
-freddy
Freddy418 is offline Find More Posts by Freddy418
Old Feb 20, 2004, 04:53 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Something else to consider is the 2s vs 3s when you buy them.

2s in the 1200-1500 range will work very well with the stock setup, while a BL system normally uses a 3s pack.

Personally, I use the TP packs and think they are much better and don't mind spending the $ knowing I get a better product.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk