HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:56 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,148 Posts
Discussion
E-flight blade 350 or DJI Phantom

Hi,
I want to get into the quad, but still don't know what to get.
DJI Phantom used to be over 600.00, now about 479.00
Blade 350QX is 419.00 BNF.
Which one should I get?
I need some advice.
Thanks
Jason
whatala is online now Find More Posts by whatala
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:40 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,442 Posts
Phantom is also sells a version without transmitter for $409 - 419. Phantom is all Naza components, so everything is easy to swap. It all depends on what you are looking for. Both have their good points. If you have never had a Phantom, you will probably be quite happy with the 350Qx; if you have had a Phantom, you probably won't be.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
If you have never had a Phantom, you will probably be quite happy with the 350Qx; if you have had a Phantom, you probably won't be.
That's an interesting perspective. I haven't tried the Blade in person yet, but what do you think are the main strengths of the Phantom that are missing in the 350?
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E600 Load Testing
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:41 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,148 Posts
I heard the blade is very fragile, especially the propellers.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:44 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,442 Posts
The Phantom is heavier, more solid construction, more stable and precise FCB, bigger, more powerful motors, very modular so components can easily be moved to another platform, or used in conjunction with other receivers and add-ons. But the biggest difference is the flight mode functions. They are easy to understand and are practical to use. Most of those on the 350Qx make absolutely no sense.

Prop breakage on the 350Qx is a design flaw that has been corrected with new props. It's always going to be more fragile than a Phantom, though. But, I wouldn't get to hung up about crash damage with either. These are not aerobatic quads. It makes damned little sense to pay $400 - $500 for a loaded quad to do tricks with. So, you have to really be trying to crash, well at least you do with the Phantom. I've been fly mine since April and have never crashed.
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 14, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatala View Post
I heard the blade is very fragile, especially the propellers.
I understand there's an official response from the company and beefier replacement props available under warranty. Point noted, but probably one of those "first release" hiccups that are quickly fixed.

From what I've read so far, the Blade is more "fun" and agile, whereas the Phantom has a more mature GPS/positioning platform and tons of functionality add-ons and mods available, mainly because it's been out for longer, making it an easier platform for camerawork/FPV; the Phantom also has more a "traditional" control scheme.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:54 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,148 Posts
For me, I like to use it for my FPV.
I have the blade nano, and I have fun with it.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
From what I've read so far, the Blade is more "fun" and agile, whereas the Phantom has a more mature GPS/positioning platform and tons of functionality add-ons and mods available, mainly because it's been out for longer, making it an easier platform for camerawork/FPV; the Phantom also has more a "traditional" control scheme.
The 350Qx is more fun and agile because the Phantom is delivered with settings for beginners. If you activate manual mode, you will find it's bigger motors and arms that don't flex give it all the power and handling you could ask for. I strongly recommend using manual mode, too.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Phantom for sure. I think the closed-off system in the Blade 350 is enough reason not to use it. That and the proprietary stuff in it. It's all integrated. And if you ask me, it looks really ugly. Once you're done with your Phantom, you can just move everything to a new frame or just mod the **** out of it like many have done on this forum. The latest Phantoms come with Naza V2 which is a fine flight controller that can be expanded with lots of fun things.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Oct 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The 350Qx is more fun and agile because the Phantom is delivered with settings for beginners. If you activate manual mode, you will find it's bigger motors and arms that don't flex give it all the power and handling you could ask for. I strongly recommend using manual mode, too.
I tried manual and it seriously scares me! One of these days I'll take the time to learn it, but I mainly use the Phantom for video so slow and smooth is the name of the game--ATTI mode is great for that.
RCG Plus Member