HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2004, 07:55 AM
Sarasota/Bradenton Bradenton, Florida, United States
Joined Jan 2004
220 Posts
Great Planes 40 size P-51 Mustang ARF

IS this a good flying plane??.any problems??..any NFO appreciated..thanks..
CDignition is offline Find More Posts by CDignition
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2004, 06:43 AM
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
243 Posts
I`m building one now .Getting ready to buy the big one a set of plans anyway 102 wing span.The one I started on now is a older than dirt kit in the 60`s .Going to go elictric update it.
Having some trouble finding out how to get the chrome finish.
I know how to paint many years in bodyshops.
But hobby shops have no clue
on the paint.(the one here anyway)

Wyatt
Wyatt is offline Find More Posts by Wyatt
Old Mar 03, 2004, 03:49 AM
haz
rio rancho new mexico
Joined Oct 2003
88 Posts
I got one that i put together in jan. Ive flown it 4 times i got a os 50sx in it and it is fast. It seems to weigh alot around 7lbs The only thing i dont like is that its hot on landings. I moved the cg 1/8 back from recomended setting and i have yet to fly it. It looks real cool and is my first war bird.
haz is offline Find More Posts by haz
Old Mar 04, 2004, 10:53 PM
12th Cavalry
Cleveland
Joined Sep 2003
266 Posts
Go under rcwarbirds.com. Look around. They use a thin metallic foil-like sheet. They look sweet. It's in there. Email some of the gentleman in the bomber group. A lot of "chromed" bombers, I'm sure they'll supply you with useful info.
Tony
Aces High Tony is offline Find More Posts by Aces High Tony
Old Mar 05, 2004, 05:41 AM
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
243 Posts
Does anyone know the name brand ?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:13 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,110 Posts
I know that the Gp 1.50 and 60 are at my LHS and they look amazing. As far as arament www.darehobby.com has some killer stang parts. For pics of the real deal go to www.mustangsmustangs.com and choose your weapon.
P-51 flyby is online now Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:35 PM
I can 3 point
Mount Dora Florida
Joined Aug 2002
731 Posts
There are lots of ways to do metal finish. Flitemetal is the one tony is talking about, similar to putting aluminum tape all over in sections.
http://www.scaleaero.com/flitemetal.htm
Metalkote is BVM's method, a metallic paint system, doen't look as real as flitemetal.
http://bvmjets.com/JetKits/f100cust.htm
The last is a metal powder system that looks great called Skinni Dip that was distributed by IMP but I just went to their site to get the link and it was gone so I do not know who carries it but here is an example.
http://www.rcwarbirds.com/eduardosp51page.htm
Good Luck
Paul
Paul Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Paul Wilson
Old Mar 19, 2004, 03:47 PM
Missouri
Joined Feb 2004
93 Posts
Chrome monokote sounds like a logical solution.
bhole74 is offline Find More Posts by bhole74
Old Apr 05, 2004, 09:31 AM
12th Cavalry
Cleveland
Joined Sep 2003
266 Posts
I'm looking for the same thing also. I came across a photo of a plane that looks great.(can't remember where I found it). Anyways, he said he used Ultracoat or Oracoat. (same thing i guess...) Anyhow, he told me it was tougher and easier to apply than Monocoat. It's all hearsay though, probably have to find out for ourselves. It does look nice for a covering.
Tony
Aces High Tony is offline Find More Posts by Aces High Tony
Old Apr 26, 2004, 06:41 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
I have been flying this Great planes P51 for 6 years now, and still is in tip top shape, along with the FW 190 and Spitfire, I use Spring Air retracts in em all. Shame GP did away with some of the Warbird line. They fly like on rails.

Jim G
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old May 06, 2004, 10:47 PM
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
243 Posts
Hi,
These kits I have are from the House of Balasa.1/2 or 1/12 ..36" wingspan.I was thinking of going electric.I might still if there is a weight problem flying gas engine.But I would rather keep with the gas,as I have just now got it where I understand them .I have 3 nice 40 engines and a 35, 19, 15 .09,25 and so on here .I also have a couple electric motors 300,400 GWS .
If I go gas I want to be able to build to scale as mush as I can.So I don`t want the cylinder head sticking out the top, or the muffler out the side.I like to know what engine would fly this bird? Fly it like it should tear the ribbions off any FW190
I know I should look it up on all these links I have for calulating and spec.wingload,thrust and all the above,but I`ll just ask to see what experence fliers know.
Also what is this I see sometimes .049 and .10 I have a cd with alot of plans on it and one of them had this in the specs. on the engine size. A .049 or .10 I didn`t understand this..049 is this the same as a 49 ?

thanks,
Wyatt
Old May 20, 2004, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2004
148 Posts
P-51

the GP Mustang flies very well, kit or ARF. I had a kit . Onlyreal complaint was it would not stop flying at very slow speeds & floated with the airfoil being perhaps a bit too forgiving.going to a lower pitch prop helped.

Ora Cover & Ultra coat are the same product distributed by two outlets.I've used it a lot & prefer it hands down.It is much easier to cover with than monokote. It does not form the bubbles &just goes on smoother.It is thicker & needs a tad more heat(& can tollerate more heat)
ETIGER05 is offline Find More Posts by ETIGER05