HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Paso Robles Air and Auto Museum A Pictorial Visit

Visiting Paso Robles for a Saturday evening wedding I found a Warbird museum in our AAA guidebook and we enjoyed our short visit very much.

Splash

Introduction

The above picture of the Corsair coming in for a carrier landing is one of many pictures, posters and prints on display at the museum.

My wife and I were attending a wedding in Paso Robles and so we got out the AAA guidebook to look for sights to see. The Estrella Warbirds Museum and Woodland Auto Dispaly grabbed my attention. Since it opened at 10:00 we planned our departure from Stockton to arrive when the museum opened at 10:00 on a Saturday morning. Although we arrived a few minutes early we found the museum was already open. By agreement we were going to be there one hour and then on to our next stop.

The museum is located at the Paso Robles air port with an address of 4251 Dry Creek Road, Paso Robles and their website is: www.ewarbirds.org. It is just a few miles east of Highway 101 off of Highway 46.

I found the museum to be a real jewel. There were lots of items that my wife and I found interesting both at the museum and in the area in general. This will be a picture review as I didn't have time to take any notes. Don't ask me any questions and I will tell you no lies about what was on display. Paso Robles is about a half hour inland from the CA coast. It is within an hour of the entrance to the famous Hearst Castle and if you are ever in the area I strongly recommend stopping bye and exploring the museum and Paso Robles. I hope you enjoy this short picture show and that it inspires you to stop if you are ever in the area. I plan to go back for a longer visit with some flying buddies

The Planes

Inside the museum

The Woodland Auto Display

Here I just had time to give you a peek at what there is to see. The cars were beautiful! The museum docent was warm, friendly and knowledgeable.

Cambria and October Means Scarecrow Days

Saturday was Pioneer days and we were told that Paso Robles was packed with people. My wife wanted to walk on the beach and we learnd that the month of October is Scarecrow Days in Cambria about a 40 minute scenic drive to the west and Cambria is on the ocean. Although it seemed more like Mannequin days there than scarecrows there were hundreds of the them in Cambria. Here are a few of my favorites.

Paso Robles

Sunday morning we toured historic Vine street in Paso Robles

The biggest tourist attractions in the Paso Robles area are all the vineyards and wine tasting. But that is a story for another day. I hope you enjoyed this short tour.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM..

Discussion

Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:57 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
723 Posts
Interesting photos from the museum. One of the planes which you photographed is fairly rare; a Saab Lansen. I have always like the looks of the plane.
viva_peru is online now Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:27 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
What?! No pictures of the people you ate lunch with at Taco Bell that day?

I will have to visit that museum in Paso. I saw the sign last time I was though but did not have time to visit.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2013, 08:17 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,416 Posts
Sorry Jon;
They just were not photogenic like your daughter. They looked too much like you and me. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2013, 08:52 AM
Navy Retired
Dixfield, Maine
Joined Apr 2008
12 Posts
The aircraft carrier in the picture is the USS Valley Forge CVA 45. I served aboard her when she was redesignated to CVS 45. Sometime during the early days of Vietnam she was redesignated as LPH.
Wing & Prayer is offline Find More Posts by Wing & Prayer
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:25 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,493 Posts
Thank you for posting such a great cross-section of events...Nice trip.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:13 PM
Southeast Lightning
United States, AL, Wetumpka
Joined May 2006
45 Posts
I really enjoyed viewing your collection of aviation pictures from the Museum.

I really liked the instrument panel of the P-38 Lightning and the Sidewinder missle tube! Also, the row of four WW 2 flight headgear was interesting and very cool!
I have photos of my dad in 1944, New Guinea, WW II...in his flight gear and helmet. I also have 2 photos of him beside his P-38 Lightning.
Thanks again for sharing!
Robin
Cap'n is offline Find More Posts by Cap'n