Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:05 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
Discussion
Whats the Best FPV product to come out as of 2013 and beyond?

I love the new 1.3ghz VideoRX Module that fits inside the Fatshark Dominator Goggles!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000777

No more big, heavy, cumbersome tripod to lug around

and the New TRINITY HeadTracker Module!

Video of 1.3 VidRX in Dominator Goggles.....
1.4k (3 min 9 sec)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Last edited by LexusFPV; Nov 23, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:39 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,871 Posts
Whats the Best FPV product to come out as of 2013 and beyond?

The 1.3 module is really significant, to be sure. I have a set of Fatshark Predators and fly 5.8 myself, but would like to try 1.3 again someday.

To me, the Immersion RC Nexwave receivers are the big news for FPV this year. A big step forward in sensitivity.

This year really saw the Crosshair antenna really catch on, although that's really a 2012 innovation.

iBCrazy's Mad Mushroom antenna is a fabulous 2013 innovation.

In the beyond category, I am most looking forward to the upcoming Fatshark Dominator HD with it's large FOV, head tracker and built-in DVR! I think this will set a new standard for self-contained ground stations. I'm setting money aside now.

Although it's not really FPV, 2013 was the year of the affordable brushless gimbal. That represents a huge paradigm shift!
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Last edited by martinic; Oct 14, 2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:54 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
+1 on laserbgc.com 1.3 module for Dominator goggles. This will be hard to beat. Will be on sale soon
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:15 AM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Feb 2013
78 Posts
Waiting on the Dominator HDs + some high-resolution camera to go with it?
b0nafide is offline Find More Posts by b0nafide
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2013
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nafide View Post
Camera is not the bottleneck for resolution. HD is too much info to transmit in the manner we do. It would be cool though!
bstanley72 is offline Find More Posts by bstanley72
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
United Kingdom, Thornbury
Joined May 2012
305 Posts
With technology going the way it is, it wont be long before a way is figured out to compact the large amount of data, so it can be transferred and re-built at the other end for display.

Might take a while before any lag can be overcome with the extra effort of compacting/de-piling might be overcome with faster computing components though
theroots123 is online now Find More Posts by theroots123
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2013, 01:25 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroots123 View Post
With technology going the way it is, it wont be long before a way is figured out to compact the large amount of data, so it can be transferred and re-built at the other end for display.

Might take a while before any lag can be overcome with the extra effort of compacting/de-piling might be overcome with faster computing components though
Have you seen the Skydrone GSm system yet? Could be where FPV is headed (or not). It is HD video over cell phone wireless, with range limited only by wireless cell coverage - could have continuous signal for hundred or thousands of km.

Still an unproven technology, but they promise to have it ready for market soon.

Wifi keeps getting better too, and could have decent FPV range eventually. RIght now the off the shelf Wifi-FPV quads are extremely limited range, but that will change.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:33 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Feb 2013
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic View Post
The 1.3 module is really significant, to be sure. I have a set of Fatshark Predators and fly 5.8 myself, but would like to try 1.3 again someday.
...again one day?

Is 1.3 better then 5.8? If an individual was starting out in FPV, should he consider the 1.3 module first before even jumping into the 5.8?
b0nafide is offline Find More Posts by b0nafide
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:13 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,871 Posts
Quote:
...again one day?

Is 1.3 better then 5.8? If an individual was starting out in FPV, should he consider the 1.3 module first before even jumping into the 5.8?
I started with 1.3, but went to 5.8 for it's compactness. Now that my FPV flying skills are good, 1.3 is interesting due to it's better performance for proximity flying.

5.8 is more convenient and is fine for all sorts of flying, but as with everything RF, everything is a compromise.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
293 Posts
b0nafide, hello neighbor. Everyone will have a different opinion, but I think 5.8 is fantastic for starting out in FPV. You don't even need a ground station -- just goggles with a 5.8 receiver will work. I do an easy 4km with that setup.

Aside from that, 5.8 has the advantage of a very clear picture, small/light antennas, no worries about high/low pass filters, etc etc.

Honestly though, anything will work. There is no right or wrong.
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
293 Posts
And, to stay on topic, I have to agree with martinic. The IRC Nexwave stuff is fantastic. I never had success with 5.8 before that. My fav product of this year, for sure.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
United Kingdom, Thornbury
Joined May 2012
305 Posts
My fav product.....my FPV goggles kit (there is a topic about them) flew with them first time yesterday after flying 6months on a monitor. 35 to build.....well chuffed :-)
theroots123 is online now Find More Posts by theroots123
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2013, 07:55 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
The True RC Gatling antenna. Thou shalt not need more antenna. But for those out there who want more, he's got the "Vulcan" prototype working .

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:24 AM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
293 Posts
More gain than Hugo's gatling? It already exists, it's called a black hole...
Old Oct 19, 2013, 02:19 AM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
Quote:
Im looking to get into some FPV and read about these,but from what I read they should have been out this past July-August, Any word on when? I was going to order the standard dominators but dont want to get them and have the HD's come out. Although the standard dominators are enough on my wallet as it is,Anyone know the expected cost of the hd's if and when they are sold?
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom