HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2004, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2004
118 Posts
How do you know when a motor is bad??

I have a new gws 350 motor with c gear box. Right now I'm using a 1080 gws prop, pixie 20p esc and two 1200 mah etec lipolys running in parallel.

When I ran the setup with one lipoly the esc would cut out as soon as I put the throttle up past half way. That was on the 6 volt and 5 volt cutoff. I bought another lipoly to run in parallel so that way I would have 2400mah and 18amp to run the motor with. When I throttled up to max it runs for about a second or two and than the esc cuts it off again.

I don't have a multimeter yet (I have one on order) But would you say that the motor is bad causing to high of an amp draw which is causing the esc to detect a low voltage and shut off the motor??
jacksonjrs is offline Find More Posts by jacksonjrs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2004, 06:56 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
I'd say the motor is fine if it spins up. Check that your battery is charged up, and then check you battery to ESC connections (when you get your multimeter ) .

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2004
118 Posts
ok, I'll give that a shot. Maybe the cold has something to do with it. It was only 40f out. Could that have anything to do with it??
Old Feb 20, 2004, 04:53 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Re: How do you know when a motor is bad??

Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonjrs
I have a new gws 350 motor with c gear box. Right now I'm using a 1080 gws prop, pixie 20p esc and two 1200 mah etec lipolys running in parallel.

When I ran the setup with one lipoly the esc would cut out as soon as I put the throttle up past half way. That was on the 6 volt and 5 volt cutoff. I bought another lipoly to run in parallel so that way I would have 2400mah and 18amp to run the motor with. When I throttled up to max it runs for about a second or two and than the esc cuts it off again.

I don't have a multimeter yet (I have one on order) But would you say that the motor is bad causing to high of an amp draw which is causing the esc to detect a low voltage and shut off the motor??
Have I missed something obvious, you say you ran it on just two cells in PARALLEL? That is only 4.2v at best.

You need to put the two cells in series....? :-(

Or have I misunderstood what is going on here?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 20, 2004, 06:01 AM
Joined Jan 2004
118 Posts
Sorry about the confusion it wasn't two cells, it was two battery packs. Each pack is the 2s2p 1200mah 7.4 volt.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 06:57 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Right. Things get clearer. First of all, on that voltage on a 10x8 you are likly to be trying to drag the best part o 12A out of the motor. I'd say that was too much. Frst off I'd say a 9x7 was the better match.

Secondly, its not clear whether the cells are 1200mA/h, or the packs.

If you hace two packs each of 2s2p E-tech 1200;s then you shold be able to pull 15A a pack, but yu eem to suggest that each pack is only 1200mA/h, so that makes each cell 600mA/h?

E-etch are 700 and 1200, so not sure where that leaves us....

IF you are using just two e-tech 1200's per pack in series, then its not surprising that dragging 12A or so out of them flips the cutoff. However two in parallel, assuming proper connections, should work as long as the motor holds up...which won't be long by my reckoning

See the datasheet for that motor and box, cells and prop here...

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...em/eps350c.htm

8x6 to 9x7 recommended, or 10x4.7, or at most 10x6.

So thats the first thing to fix.

Then you should be able to run on 2s20 e-tech 12200 no problenms. However thigs still seem a little out of whack, so you may want to at least borrow a voltmeter and see of you are gtting around 6.5 volts under load across the ESC input.

Maybe you are using too thin wire or something or a bad type of battery connector, that is losing power.

You SHOULD be able to run the 350C on 2s2p packs of 1200' etechs no problem.

The oly other thing that migh tcause very high currents is if the gearbox or motor is binding.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:03 AM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Same issue with a 300C

Had the same issue with a GWS 300C-C, Pixie 7p with 2s Kokam 1500 HD. Either a 10X4.7 or 9.7 would engage the cutoff at 3/4 throttle with a fresh charge. Programmed the Pixie to the soft cutoff mode and it works fine now, but I prefer the hard cutoff.

I still dont understand why the motor would drag the pack down to under 3volts/cell, the batteries are new (less than 10 charges on it) and the motor was broken in.

Only thing that I can think of that might be a problem is the JST connectors. I attached them to the Pixie with nice solder joints, so hopefully that isnt the problem. Could be the leads are too long?

Anyone know the best way to check the power from the batteries under load with a standard multimeter? Im not an electronics expert, and dont have the money currently for a Whattmeter.

Thanks....

TB
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:45 AM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
JST connectors will not handle that current. If they are not the problem now, they will be soon. You need to replace them. Deans polarized 2 or 3 pin connectors are better suited for that application.

That motor/prop will probably draw 6 to 7 amps. Thats pretty close to the Pixie limit

I think most standard multimeters have a current function. Does yours ?
If it does, then read the current. Lets say it reads 7.5 amps. Then, Power (watts) = current times voltage, so, if your battery reads 7.5 volts times 7.5 amps =59.75 watts
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Old Feb 20, 2004, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2004
55 Posts
how much current will a 300c motor draw? would a 8.4 730mah nimh be good enough? if not, what motor would be?
halfmoon129 is offline Find More Posts by halfmoon129
Old Feb 20, 2004, 05:09 PM
Heli Addict....
West Dundee, Il.
Joined Nov 2003
1,937 Posts
Well, I set up the meter when I got home and checked the voltage using the meter. Cutoff happened exactly at 7V when on the 6V hard cutoff setting.

Im going to replace all the JST connectors with Deans mini directly to the Pixie leads. Hopefully the better connectors and shorter leads will correct the problem.

TB
Ecaf is offline Find More Posts by Ecaf