HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
603 Posts
Rant
The YouTube "Review" Problem

I'm beginning to think that some YouTube video producers need to look up the definition of Review. A Review should show everything that is included with the model, show fit and finish, fly it, and then give likes and dislikes. Pretty simple right? Well not for some apparently. Here are the problems that I see with some Reviewers (Which shall remain nameless)

1.The Unboxing/Review- An unboxing is not a Review! How can you review something without flying or using it?

2.The feature list-Listing the features of a kit/item isn't a review! Use the darn thing!

3.The Everything is Great Review-Showing it flying and saying it's Great isn't a Review! No plane/item is perfect and if you don't mention downsides too, you didn't review it. Makes me think you got the item for free and you are saying nothing but good things about it so they will send you more items to "review"

There are quite a few Channels out there that are doing the right thing and I think they deserve credit for the information that they are putting out there.

2Brothers Hobby-They are great if a little clinical. They build it, use/fly it, and then score it. If something is junk, they tell you about it and it shows up in the score.

The RCSaylors-Proof that you don't have to be experts in the field to have fun and make good videos. They call their Unboxings just Unboxings, they say what they think of the kit/item, they use it, they have fun

FliteTest-Bixler states right up front that he likes every plane that he flies. So you know to take his review with a grain of salt. David isn't afraid to call junk like it is, so this all works out. Probably the best production value of any RC YouTube channel. One of my favorites.

XJet/RC Model Reviews-The best reviewer that I've found. His vids are titled correctly, no bias at all, great sound and narration, has fun! You can tell he has a passion for RC and just wants to give all the information he can to others about the hobby. He calls it like he sees it and I think it's great

So for those other channels, stop calling it a Review! Just say its an unboxing and I'll be fine with it. Also don't take it out, do a loop, say "That was a good loop" and call it a review! Did it loop from level flight? Was it straight? Did it have enough power? You just did a flight video, which is fine, just call it that and I won't have a problem.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jimmy the Heater; Oct 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
misguided user
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Mar 2011
34 Posts
slow day?
slide ruler is offline Find More Posts by slide ruler
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
Feel better now?

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,166 Posts
Well then stick with your preferred "reviewers" and let the You Tube folk have their proud moment.

A re-view on You Tube is just a different perspective, not meant to be anything official.

The mission statement is "broadcast yourself", not broadcast useful flight videos for ranting watchers.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:02 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,407 Posts
I can watch a loop of SpongeBob laughing for ten hours on YouTube.

The wonderful thing is that if I don't like it.... I can choose not to watch it
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
The Best and Worst Thing About the Internet: Anyone can say anything they want.

'Net. Acronym standing for "Not Everything is True"

-J
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
The Best and Worst Thing About the Internet: Anyone can say anything they want.

'Net. Acronym standing for "Not Everything is True"

-J
This is very true. Let me be clear, I don't have a problem with those people posting videos of their unboxings, or vids of them flying around and saying its an awesome plane.

What I wish would change is calling it a review, when no actual review takes place. It's like watching a video titled "McDonalds Big Mac Review" and then they just say "It has two beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun" Well that's great, but how does it taste?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,407 Posts
It makes no sense to complain about a problem unless you're looking to get it resolved. What's your plan?
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Apr 2013
565 Posts
When the review is done by a person that works for the company selling the plane , I consider that a commercial not a review.
MD AUTO is offline Find More Posts by MD AUTO
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
603 Posts
The plan is...

1.See if anyone else notices this or if a review to most people just means an unboxing.

2.If others do notice this then come up with a polite paragraph to post on the YouTube comments section of said videos asking to either: A) change the title to more closely reflect what the video is or B) constructive criticism to modify the content of future videos to actually review the item.

It seems to me if the title of the video matched the content of said video, one would get more subscribers and views which is a good thing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:17 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
The MacDonald's saying is
Quote:
"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."
I know. I practiced that until I won a Big Mac. Back in the early 70s, MacDonald's had a campaign where listeners could call selected AM radio stations and, if they spewed out that slogan in 3 seconds or less, they won a Big Mac from the nearest MacDonald's.

Of course it was the best advertising — but not a review. Anyway, I think Burger King's Whopper tastes better because you can "Have it your way!" It's easier to say too.

Now why the hell am I writing here about hamburgers? Is there a relationship to model airplanes?
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:20 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,833 Posts
Looks like your definition of "review" is just that, your definition. According to Webster a review is:

"re·view
noun \ri-ˈvyü\

: an act of carefully looking at or examining the quality or condition of something or someone : examination or inspection"

Seems to me that opening a box and examining the contents meets the definition perfectly.

Unless YouTube has a specific format for "reviews" there's no way to expect the average person to meet everyone's expectations. We have reviews from 10 year olds and from professionals, one can't expect them to be the same. I take them for what they are and move on.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Jun 2012
603 Posts
LOL, yes, I purposefully left ALL out of that saying because I don't believe a McD's hamburger is 100% beef.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Looks like your definition of "review" is just that, your definition. According to Webster a review is:

"re·view
noun \ri-ˈvyü\

: an act of carefully looking at or examining the quality or condition of something or someone : examination or inspection"

Seems to me that opening a box and examining the contents meets the definition perfectly.

Azarr

I guess I am wrong then. I really am surprised that a review of an RC Plane does not require one to actually fly it. I stand corrected and thank all that chimed in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2013, 06:08 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,833 Posts
One of the problems with any review on a place like YouTube is that we really have no idea of the qualifications of the reviewer. I see this even at our local field when some one shows up with a poorly set up plane that he thinks is miserable when in reality the only problem is the setup.

On the other hand one can be pretty sure that reviewers on a site like this are qualified and hopefully unbiased.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr