HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2013
205 Posts
Question
how to bend balsa sheet over wing?

I'm getting close to being done with my wing, and need to know how to bend 1/16 balsa sheet over the middle of my wing (where the rubber bands will sit)
and the LE.

Thanks,
Higgins909
Higgins909 is online now Find More Posts by Higgins909
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2013, 04:16 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,483 Posts
So long as it's not very hard wood and provided you have the grain running the right way (parallel to the LE) 1/16th balsa will easily bend over any airfoil I've seen.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:03 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,108 Posts
Yep, if you grab a sheet of 1/16 and bend it you'll notice it bends nicely across the grain. This is good as you want the fibres of your sheeting to go spanwise for strength.

Just stick it down span wise , and all will be well!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:30 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,364 Posts
I've only seen a few designs that expect you to bend it around the leading edge. So I'd suggest you avoid trying it.

The others covered the spanwise orientation of the grain and how easily it will flex around the airfoil shape for the whole chord other than the leading edge.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:37 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,858 Posts
To make thin balsa curve more easily with the grain, moisten the "outside" with water. That'll expand the grain on that side and cause the wood to bend. I do this all the time with LE sheeting. When it dries, it'll stay 'bent'.

If you aren't sure, dampen a bit of scrap and watch how it bends, i.e., if the grain is running "up and down", then the wood will flex "left to right". How much and how consistent the bending will depend on the wood grain, hardness, and amount of wetting.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2013
205 Posts
cool, so that means I'll have to cut my sheet into a few pieces? I got something like 3" x 1/16" x 36" and my wing is like 6" umm long?
(I need to figure out the proper way for this, does it go width then thickness then length?)

Pretty much what I'm asking is that there is no issue with me covering it with 2 pieces? Instead of one? I doubt it, but just wanna make sure, not sure how well taking it apart would go if I had to XD

Thanks again,
Higgins909
Higgins909 is online now Find More Posts by Higgins909
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:13 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,108 Posts
I take it the 6" measurement is front to back? THat's known as the wing's chord. The measurement from wing tip to wing tip is the span.

If you have a 6" chord then yeah, use the wood spanwise, and you'll have a join in the middle running with the grain.

If you have a wing with dihedral (the wings are angled upwards) it's easier to sheet each half, sand the mating surfaces and then join the wing.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words

Hope this helps!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Bending Balsa

I use household ammonia when I want to form balsa to a curve. Apply it with a paintbrush and let it soak in for a minute or so (longer time for thicker wood or sharper bends), then form the balsa over the surface and secure it with rubber bands or an ace bandage, or wrap it with tape keeping the sticky side out. The ammonia temporarily dissolves the lignin in the wood, so it works much better than plain water, and it also dries very much faster than water. I have used this technique to wrap 1/16" thick "A" grain balsa completely around a 3/8" dowel to make a tube. You won't believe it until you try it.
burntstringflier is offline Find More Posts by burntstringflier
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:00 PM
Lexington, MA
Joined Feb 2009
28 Posts
Absolutely! I thin the ammonia with a small amount of water, and as said, brush it on, and secure the balsa in place until dry. Store the ammonia water solution in a small jar, and it will always be ready when you need it. Works amazingly well.
jim495 is offline Find More Posts by jim495
Old Oct 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,088 Posts
I use denatured alcohol to quickly add a pre-stressed curve to balsa. The alky works just as well as water-based solutions, but it will not damage the wood, weaken it, and dries (and sets) very quickly, with no residual moisture in the wood. Also enables me to progressively increase the curve in the wood quickly, including a tight enoug radius to sheet around a leading edge. The alky "soaks" into the balsa a lit faster because it is thinner and flows better into the fibers.
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:02 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,240 Posts
Lots of good ideas! Here's how I did it when I was rebuilding the wing on my Hobbistar 60.

I started by soaking the wood for several days wrapped in an old towel. Several days was probably overkill but I wanted it to be W-E-T.

Drew a centre line down the length and pinned it in place along the leading edge

Placed magazines over the edge to help hold the curve.

A bend was formed.

Each face was glued and held down by magazines.

The results were good.

grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak