HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

HobbyKing Skipper

Water, Grass, Snow, Fly it Anywhere!

Splash

Receiver Ready All Terrain Aircraft

Capable of taking off from and landing on just about any surface including water, ice, snow, grass and more, the Skipper is a truly versatile model. Add to that its super low wing loading and high performance brushless power system and you've got yourself a model that is an absolute blast to fly!

The pre-installed 40A brushless power system provides tons of power, just what you need for getting off of the water or grass take-offs. This abundance of power adds to the fun factor in the air, providing unlimited vertical performance. The large control surfaces allow for a fast roll rate and excellent elevator response making aerobatic flight a big part of the Skipper's wide flight envelope.

Constructed from low-density EPO foam, this model is very lightweight yet maintains a high level of durability. The wing halves are joined with twin carbon fiber spars providing excellent rigidity. The fuselage of the Skipper is moulded in a "flying boat" shape allowing it to easily take off, land and cruise on the water. This smooth, low-drag design also lends itself very well to use on snow and grass.

The Skipper comes in "Plug and Fly" form meaning that the brushless power system and all servos are pre-installed, you will simply need to add your own 4CH radio system and 3S lipoly battery. Assembly is a breeze requiring gluing of the horizontal stabilizer only. You can have the Skipper built and ready for flight in as little as 15 minutes. [HobbyKing]

Features

• The most fun plane ever
  • Plug and Fly - simply add your own radio system and 3S lipoly battery
  • All terrain flight ability - capable of flying from water, snow, ice, grass and more
  • Ultra durable EPO foam construction
  • Waterproof brushless power system and servos
  • Easy to assemble

Specs

• Wingspan: 700mm
  • Length: 970mm
  • Wing Loading: 25g/dmē
  • Flying Weight: 575g
  • Motor Thrust: 850g

Required

• 4CH transmitter and receiver
  • 3S 1300~1500mAh lipoly battery

Discussion

Old Oct 08, 2013, 01:01 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
A Polaris Ultra Clone from HK!
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
ballin to keep from stallin ;)
United States, NC, Stanley
Joined Jul 2010
490 Posts
Looks like a molded Polaris. Nice
RafterDodger is offline Find More Posts by RafterDodger
Old Oct 08, 2013, 01:20 PM
misguided user
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Mar 2011
35 Posts
more intellectual thievery at it's finest.
slide ruler is offline Find More Posts by slide ruler
Old Oct 08, 2013, 01:44 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
I was just about to ask whose design they stole this time, looks like I have my answer.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Oct 08, 2013, 01:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
A Polaris Ultra Clone from HK!

In style only. Different motor, different size overall, different electronics, battery etc etc etc. Oh, and available almost ready to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide ruler View Post
more intellectual thievery at it's finest.
How many companies make Extra 300's, Cessna 172's, Yaks...the list is endless.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2013, 04:02 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
In style only. Different motor, different size overall, different electronics, battery etc etc etc. Oh, and available almost ready to fly.

How many companies make Extra 300's, Cessna 172's, Yaks...the list is endless.
A scale model of a real airplane is one thing. Producing and selling commercially a clone of a popular ORIGINAL RC design is a whole other thing.

Laddie M, the designer of the Northstar and the guy who created the Polaris foamy version of the have some intellectual property rights that are being run over.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 08, 2013, 04:13 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,093 Posts
RCG thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2003342

It is a rebadged Joysway Dragonfly.
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Oct 08, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2013, 05:11 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
A scale model of a real airplane is one thing. Producing and selling commercially a clone of a popular ORIGINAL RC design is a whole other thing.

Laddie M, the designer of the Northstar and the guy who created the Polaris foamy version of the have some intellectual property rights that are being run over.
You are correct about the intellectual property. Every version of the Polaris that we have kitted was done with Laddie's blessing as well as Steve Shumate, who drew up the plans for the original Polaris model.

It's unfortunate but that is how some companies choose to do business.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Oct 08, 2013, 05:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
RCG thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2003342

It is a rebadged Joysway Dragonfly.
Not exactly. The Northstar came came along first. And given that it is molded foam and smaller, it is not a rebadged built up balsa Northstar. Certainly a Polaris clone, though.

I am giving this one a pass and will finish my stock Polaris and eventually get around to building a Polaris XL.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 05:26 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
You are correct about the intellectual property. Every version of the Polaris that we have kitted was done with Laddie's blessing as well as Steve Shumate, who drew up the plans for the original Polaris model.

Scott
Scott, I was aware that you did this sort of business the correct way....good on you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 06:17 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post

That's a great point that negates my argument about scale aircraft to some degree. This certainly is a unique design not often seen elsewhere. Notwithstanding some component and size differences, it's certainly similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post

Scott

What is the remedy then for you or the original designer if you were to do something about this? I honestly don't know what it would entail, but presume it would be costly.

At the end of the day the Polaris will still stand as the benchmark for this type of plane. Other than a similar design, the $100.00 item I would guess won't impact this one.

On another note, I wrote you guys last year I believe about a ARF or RTF set up for the Polaris Ultra and I think you said it was in the works, any updates on that?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2013, 09:16 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post

What is the remedy then for you or the original designer if you were to do something about this? I honestly don't know what it would entail, but presume it would be costly.

At the end of the day the Polaris will still stand as the benchmark for this type of plane. Other than a similar design, the $100.00 item I would guess won't impact this one.

On another note, I wrote you guys last year I believe about a ARF or RTF set up for the Polaris Ultra and I think you said it was in the works, any updates on that?
Our remedy is to continue to offer a level of service and support that the others can't match.

You can check out the original and authorized Polaris ARF here:

Polaris Ultra
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Oct 08, 2013, 09:39 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,730 Posts
No matter which one ya get, just get one..... I love my 3 year old Polaris built from the plans.... I have also Built the Drifter boat from the Model Aero kit.... Love them both! Mainly, just get out and fly!
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 10:32 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
NorthStar --==> Twinkle --==> Polaris --==> numerous Polaris versions including the new molded foamie --==> this thing. Twinkle and Polarii were at least done with the knowledge/blessing of the legend that came up with the original idea/configuration, Laddie Mikulasko. Laddie came up with a whole new plane configuration, which is truly epic... but now it's like saying that the P51 Mustang is a rip off of the Spitfire. Call it a delta Seawind even...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM