HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:10 PM
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
975 Posts
How can I make a setup that shows me how many Amps?

I have been flying for about a year now and have just received my first set of new 3S 1500 KoKam lipolys.

I plan to run them in my Razor 300 powered Switchback sport (GWS "C" gearing, 10X8 GWS props) and Phoenix 25 ESC. I have been using an 8 cell Kan 950 packs as well as 8 cell AAA 720 packs with this setup.

I do not know how to determine how many amps these current battery packs are giving me. I am interested in knowing if my new 3S Kokams 1500 are going to require me to change my gearing or props or whatever before I try them in my Switchback.

I have an inexpensive ($20.00) GE Ampmeter that I got at Wal-Mart that can display AC/DC volts, amps, and ohms. What kind of a wiring test setup can be made to test amps?

Is anyone out there using close to this same setup in a switchback?

Many thanks in advance!
Highlander is offline Find More Posts by Highlander
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:25 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
you can make a Y connector that will allow you to hook up your multimeter in series with your battery. cut off the probes and attach them to a female connector for later use. put a male connector on the multimeter leads. you can reattach the probes later if you want. then make a Y connector that has one male and two female plugs. each of the three wires in the Y connector connect the positive of one plug to the negative of the other. then you connect the multimeter to one of the female plugs, the ESC to the other female plug, and the battery to the male plug of the Y connector.

make sure your multimeter is rated for a good amount more current than you expect to see. it sounds like you'd need at least one rated for 20A. multimeters rated for 20A+ are kind of rare, so you might want to get an Astro Whattmeter instead. they are very handy tools. do a search, and you will find lots of info on them.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:51 PM
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
975 Posts
Any pics or diagrams that any of you have would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Oh Yeah, do I hook all this up and run it full thottle to get a value?
Highlander is offline Find More Posts by Highlander
Last edited by Highlander; Feb 18, 2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:00 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
here's a shot of mine. the triple Y connector in the photo is not the way yours should be, but you get the idea of how it's constructed.

yes, to take a reading run the motor at full throtte. preferrably clamp the motor in a vise or something. bench testing can be dangerous.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74