HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:34 PM
Long Beach
Joined Nov 2003
63 Posts
S.F to L.A. road Trip

Next week I will be in San Francisco.Planning on leaving on thrus and hitting the slopes on the way home.I have seen some neat sites,but I need to know from you guys,where are the don't miss slopes.Should I go the coast all the way or 5 till Santa Barbra and then take the coast.

Trying to get my Moth done before the trip.Moth and a Zagi are making the trip.

Thanks Glenn
gshigman is offline Find More Posts by gshigman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:03 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Well, the 5 doesn't come through Santa Barbara, so you might as well take the coast, or at least 101, the whole way. Depending upon how much time you have, the drive is very worthwhile. Plus, there are some good coastal flying sites south of San Francisco that you would totally miss if you take the 5. However going down 1 will take more time, but you could overnight along the way (which is very worthwhile, it's absoutely a beautiful drive). You could also check out the spots around San Luis Obispo / Pismo Beach.

Can't help too much with NoCal stuff, but I know the Pismo Beach Soaring Society website:

http://www.pbss.org

And for Santa Barbara, our site is:

http://www.sbslopers.org

Hope that helps, if you like email/PM me and we can exchange mobile numbers and whatnot.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
If the 1 is open through the Big Sur area, it is worth it just for the views. You might even want to try this place out.
Hurricane Point
Every time I have been there, the wind is howling and I wish I had a plane with me... if I could just figure out where to land...

But seriously, there are some promising turn-outs along the road. Usually gravely, so don't take the hanger queen.
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:51 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
521 Posts
There are tons of sites to try out taking highway 1 all the way up the coast. I'm afraid it would take you more than two days to try them all!

Shoot me an email if you want site info in the San Luis Obispo, Pismo Beach area.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:33 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2004
144 Posts
You could drive down highway 1 from san francisco and pretty much stop at any cliff along the way and it would be a good flying spot if the wind is right. Fort Funston is where I fly the most often, and would probably be your best bet for a first stop as it is pretty much the northmost flying site on the peninsula. You would then be right on highway 1, and you could stop at many beautiful places along the way. Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Davenport, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, Monterey, etc. Don't take 5, it's worth it to stop and stay a night or 2 if you have to along the coast.

Jon
jonferran is offline Find More Posts by jonferran
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:37 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Or you could stop at the RC Comets field on the shore at beautiful Lake Casitas Park, Ventura County.

MLdbttr@netscape.net
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:53 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,096 Posts
L.A to Frisco takes about 6 hours of drive, Paso Robles is about the half way point, 101 is the best route, I-5 will only save an hour, I used to commute this route once a week......
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1