HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

A Drone's Eye View

First Video with a New Quad

Splash

Filming the Nashbro 2013

Way back when I had my first few quads, we weren't even using gimbals. I just had a fixed mount for a GoPro. I quickly wanted more and started building bigger and better copters and left the poor little quads behind. When brushless gimbals started to become available, my main focus was on my big camera octocopter, but last month, I thought it would be fun to see what the new brushless stuff would do for a GoPro and quad copter for FPV fun and hobby filming. My first thought was to take it on a cruise my wife and I had planned. I rushed to get the copter and gimbal ready and at the last minute I found out that the cruise staff would likely not allow the copter on board. Instead of risking it, I left it at home waiting to get some air.

A quick look at the equipment

When I returned from vacation, the Nashville ProBro event was just a week away. I thought it would be the perfect place to get some interesting footage. I went out on Friday and shot for a couple of hours. The video below is the result. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. The copter flies great, the FPV system works like a charm, and the video was mostly pretty good. I need to work on a few vibration issues I noticed in the footage in some parts, but for the first time out, it was pretty sweet.

Discussion

Old Oct 01, 2013, 11:18 AM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,049 Posts
way cool video
remvideo is offline Find More Posts by remvideo
Old Oct 01, 2013, 01:07 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
716 Posts
Very Nice!
You really should come to the NARCA aerotow this weekend. You could do some serious videography on some 40%-50% scale sailplanes!
Asher
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Oct 01, 2013, 01:53 PM
Bigger is better
Austin TX
Joined Jan 2001
909 Posts
I was the pilot of the yellow cap profile that shows up many times throughout the video and I was extremely impressed with how well this video came out. I am seriously contemplating duplicating the setup to build my own hobby AV machine. I've wanted a good one for years and the performance for the dollar of this setup was outstanding.
ibange is offline Find More Posts by ibange
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:19 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,822 Posts
Great setup. I cant find any real specs on those motors, such as max wattage, thrust charts etc.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Oct 01, 2013, 09:33 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
406 Posts
Amazing video

If I wanted to mount a simple video camera on a Multiplex Fun Cub or Parkzone T-28, what camera would you suggest? I would then play the video back on my laptop or PC later.

Thanks for the guidance.
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Oct 02, 2013, 01:21 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remvideo View Post
way cool video
+1

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:07 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmulligan View Post
If I wanted to mount a simple video camera on a Multiplex Fun Cub or Parkzone T-28, what camera would you suggest? I would then play the video back on my laptop or PC later.

Thanks for the guidance.
GoPro seems to be the camera of choice these days.
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 04, 2013, 10:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole View Post
GoPro seems to be the camera of choice these days.
I think the Mobius Action Cam will take a bigger slice of that pie once it becomes more well known. I just got one and the video I've seen so far put it on a par with the Go Pro at a third of the price.
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)