HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2001, 04:17 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
Another Southern California Field Under Attack

HELP SAVE THE APOLLO XI MODEL AIRFIELD

Recent articles in the newspaper and TV have discussed a plan to expand the Tillman Water Reclamation Plant by flooding 300 acres of Sepulvida Basin. As shown on the map in the LA Times article of July 17th 2001, this includes the Apollo 11 Model Airport. Yes, the airfield that we love so much and which many of us have contributed over $60,000 to repair is being threatened. There is no planned alternative site. We need your help and that of all model aviation enthusiasts to mount a concerted campaign to defeat this proposal. We cannot afford to sit idyll while they take our field away!
We urge you to write, e-mail and/or call your LA City Council Person for your district. Tell them how you feel about this outraguos takeover of recreational land and how it effects you personally. Tell them of the tens of thousands of flyers and spectators that will be impacted. Let them know that pilot training offered to local and minority youth groups and individuals will disappear. Complain that the time and money that has been contributed to field repair and maintenance will be wasted. Communicate to them that the field serves a large segment of the community; flyers spectators and those that just meet at the field to talk. There are probably countless other reasons that occure to you. Exress them! Do it now while we have a chance to affect the decision making process.

Cindy Miscikowski is the council member for the district that includes the Apollo 11 field. Everyone regardless of where you live should contact her. Ms Miscikowski's email address is miscikow@council.lacity.org the email address of the council members can be obtained at http://www.ci.la.ca.us/council/cd7/staff.htm Clicking on the email icon will provide the address and a blank message. Just fill it in and send it.

Your support in this effort is critical to the continuation of flying at Apollo 11 field. Contacting city council members is an effective aproach, but you may have other ideas. Anything that generates favorable publicity is great. Do whatever you can to help. Consider requesting the help of sympathetis friends. Let's keep flying.

Thank you,
Jeffrey Park
Valley Flyers
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2001, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2001
47 Posts
Too bad the land is not cheap in these areas. If a significant group of people got together and each invested $1,000 or $2,000 each and jointly purchased some land, you could possibly have your own private flying field subject to the rules and regulations agreed upon in some type of joint contract. You could sign up other members who didn't want to pay the ownership fees and distribute those fees back to the owners over the years. The value of the land would likely increase over the years and owners of the land could sell their share at a profit as long as the sale meets the terms in the joint contract. The downside is that joint ownerships many times end up in turmoil, feuding, etc.

I hope you'll be able to continue to use the land that's currently being threatened, but if it goes away, what other choices are available?
qadsan is offline Find More Posts by qadsan
Old Aug 01, 2001, 12:51 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
That's unfortunate. Land is just getting scarce in LA/OC. After they shut down mile square, I sold most of my IC planes and switched to electric.

Whittier Narrows will be the only public field left if Apollo XI field goes. Imagine how crowded it will be. :-(
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Aug 02, 2001, 03:03 AM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
that is terrible
i sent her an email

i will call her also

i had no idea about this proposal

(i fly the red Herr Pitts powered by a norvel .25) i think i know who you are

Kevin Graehl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Graehl