HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:18 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Confessions of an overpowered brushless addict:

I have a tendency to overpower most of my planes, flying them with brushless motors and 3ís to give me that lovely straight up vertical flight and more power then any of my planes need. Well today I turned over a new leaf. I have recently put the sport wing back on my brushless Dandy and set the GT wing on the shelf for a while. So tonight I flew my Dandy Sport with a himax 2015-4100 GWS D box APC 9x6 and e-tec 1200 2ís
I really had a blast, we had no wind and I flew for over 15 minutes on the one pack out of my driveway. Doing meandering figure eights, loops, and inverted flight between my house and my neighbors. It was a blast, the plane just floating gracefully across the sky flying with all the power it needed and then some. Who would have ever thought that flying on the wing instead of the propeller could be so fun.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:26 PM
United States, UT, Payson
Joined Mar 2003
564 Posts
The same thing happened to me recently. I usually fly crazlily, doing anything but level flight. Well, about a week ago I set the expo. to -50% and put some skis on my Dandy Sport. That forced me to fly more calmly. Now, that is pretty much all I do, just cruize around shooting touch-n-goes off the snow, doing close fly-by's, and simply floating way, way up there.

It's a blast.

~Chris
Azygos is offline Find More Posts by Azygos
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:33 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Hey, I hear you guys. The Dandy Sport has been one of my most relaxing flyers. What's really fun is flying it in a little bit of wind, the DS actually looks like a bird up there, moving from gust to gust. I just ordered a new replacement DS, should have her ready to go in a couple weeks.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:47 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Well what helped was the fact that today there was almost no wind at all, perfect flying day. Haven't seen a day like this in a long long time. It was perfect.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:46 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I had the same thing happen after Christmas. I had been flying FFF 3D stuff like crazy trying to perfect hovering and stuff (still a long way to go). Power is a RZ2500 on 3S power with absolutly ballistic performance. Well for Christmas my Bro got me a Moth and I have to say I love flying slowly around doing touch and goes and just having fun, it is a good break.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:45 PM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
There really is something to be said about that slow relaxing flying style. I too have got the BL overpowered bug and who wouldnt with the new technology busting out right now.
Still a relaxing TM flight or Dandy Sport always puts a smile on my face. I fly my sport with an astro 010 geared 3.2 to one and a 9 x 7 prop. With a 1200 etec the flights are so long and relaxing.
Night flights are best for calm flying, dont you think?

Sean
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:57 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jan 2004
361 Posts
Re: Confessions of an overpowered brushless addict:

Quote:
Originally posted by BrunswickOH
So tonight I flew my Dandy Sport with a himax 2015-4100 GWS D box APC 9x6 and e-tec 1200 2ís
I tried flying my Dandy GT with the same setup (2015-4100, D, 2s Lipo) with a GWS 10x8 prop and it was a dog. It was kind of windy that day, and the plane had trouble making any headway against the wind.

I guess the difference between "dog" and "relaxing flight" can depend on the wind speed.

I've taken to flying my 2s prop with a 12x6 APC prop. That's pretty fun. I've been trying to learn to hover. That's a fairly slow setup with enough vertical to hover at about 85% throttle and make slow vertical headway at 100% throttle.

Slap on the 3s pack with the 9x7.5 prop and hold on, that sucker is fast!

Matt
shams42 is offline Find More Posts by shams42
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:27 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
Me to..I have an Acrophat taht I just putt around with slow doing touch and goes..I spent 1/2hr just doing that.

Mike
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Personally I prefer underpowering my planes as it presents a piloting challenge to make it fly with barely enough go-juice to stay airborne.

HA HA HA HA!!!

OK, even I couldn't type that with a straight face.

Power is an addiction but it also allows extended duration loafing as you've found. I love doing repeated touch and goes with the SB RG.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:35 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
I've been doing the same lately... I didn't do a lot with my new BL setup, but the first couple flights left me wanting more. I can accelerate vertical VERY fast, and go just as fast vertical as I can in a dive (well it seems that way!). I got quite bored, very fast. So I just began to wallow the plane around, make low flyby's and practice approaches, and am having SO much fun now. if I get into trouble, off I go like a rocket... Its also great to watch the look on the glow guys' faces when my "cute little foamie" out accelerates thier slimer and then keeps up with it in a flat out speed run I love it. But the best part comes when they have to come in at 30 mph to keep it from stalling, and with even a slight breeze I can do an elevator ride to landing, hehe. With lots of WOT, fast climbs, quick rolls and lots of speed I can fly for 10 mins or so... or 30-45 mins just putting around, blasting to 300ft once every minute or two, and making low, slow approaches on the field...
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:39 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Jim,
I went you one better I actually put the Sail wing back on the Dandy and just floated around! I could set the trims and actually fly hands off for about 5 minutes on the day I flew with no wind!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:06 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Why go one or the other? I like both kinds of flying and always take at least three or more planes to the field, (usually more) and do some slow flying and some crazy aerobatics.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:17 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
I'm in Basket's boat.

I tweak my park flyers for max power (unlimited vertical) on 3s lipos. Then I lazy fly them on 2s... exact same planes, exact same motors.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:03 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2003
488 Posts
I've been getting both relaxing and aerobatic flights
out of my E-Starter these days.

020 with 3 cell liPo.

I got burned out on full throttle flight, so now
I enjoy doing pattern work, touch and goes and
slow flight.

About 1/3 of the way through a pack I'll put the hammer
down and bust out some whacky maneuvers then
settle back down and end the session with more
pattern work.

Fun Plane.

]R[
rikks is offline Find More Posts by rikks
Old Feb 19, 2004, 02:51 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined Apr 2000
245 Posts
rikks,

What gearing do you use with the 020 on your estarter?
kjkish is offline Find More Posts by kjkish