SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:50 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Discussion
A few thought about RC Groups

I joined this forum in 2005. I had just started flying RC about a year before, I was flying a Nexstar. Being an old person, some reflexes were not great, but most of my losses were due to just trying to do things that I saw other RC fliers do, yet my skill level was not up to what I was trying to do.

I read lots of different posts, some on batteries, the new Lipo ones, some about building, others on reviews of airplanes. I have spend many hours reading lots of different forums and what I discovered was I enjoyed the photos of the builds, photos of the events and reports on different events.

I ended up volunteering to work at what is now called the Horizon Indoor Event, which was a lot of work and now has become a fun task. I get to see the dome before and after the event. Watching the Dome come together for a 3 day event and then see it all go away, reminds me what what happens on the lake I live on. Platte Lake, here in Honor Michigan, in the fall everything come out of the lake. Docks, hoists, boats, nothing is left in. Then during the winter when the ice get hard enough, we get fishermen, a few snowmobilers and I get a chance to fly on the ice. I use floats, since they land on the snow, which is on top of the ice very nicely.

Then in the spring, the ice melts, much the same way the tables and chairs are set up inside the Dome. Then boats, docks, people appear, enjoy the lake, which lasts longer than the 3 day event, then fall comes, with color and then we return to nothing in the lake.

I have always tried to comment on photos that people share. I used to write a newsletter sort of email after each of our flying nights, telling who was there, what planes were flown, some of the banter we all engaged in and for a number of years, people came to see what happened, then they wanted to see how I would write it up. I did this for a number of years. I finally stopped, since only one or two people ever said thanks. They all liked it, but few said anything, so I ended up believing I was wasting my time. There were a few occasions that I would enclose photos, but not often.

Now I find myself enjoying the photos of events and I make sure I comment on them, since I have posted photos of events I have gone to, I get some comments, but the joy of others seeing my photos, is enough for me.

I make comments, now and then I believe I almost go overboard, but I know how much time it takes to take, edit and post all the photos. Now that RC Groups has a way to upload many photos at once, it is much easier.

So when people see that I comment on photos, I do so, knowing that the people who have taken them, taken the time to upload them, need to know they are appreciated.

I also find there are many people who are way smarter than me, they do some really increadable things with models. I can only appreciate what they do, I have not the talent to even try what they do.

All I can say, is Thank you to RC Groups and all the people who run this fine site.
I get irritated, really irritated when people post spam on the site. Seems lately there are more and more spammers.

Thanks for listening.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,277 Posts
Hey Orin,
Nice post. Great to know you for all these years I worked at HL and now for RCG. I appreciate all you do for the hobby in general and glad you on the forums here sharing your knowledge and having fun.

Thanks!

Jason
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,100 Posts
A true Gentleman.

All the best,

RF aka Steve