HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by porcia83, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:20 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Cool
Pink power !!!!!!

It seems to be much easier to get boys interested in this hobby then those of the opposite sex. Our club has tried numerous ways to get all youngsters involved in this great hobby and for as long as I can remember we have yet to get a girl to sign up. From a completely anecdotal point of view, I'd have to say the younger girls (8-13) that have given it a try tend to fly better than the boys of the same age. Boys want to yank and bank, girls tend to be more interested in slow and sure and steady flight. At most events we hold we try to set aside some time for families and any folks from the viewing area to get some time on a buddy box. We focus on the younger ones as they still remain the biggest growth segment for this hobby.

I've been trying to figure out a way to get my daughter more interested in flying. Realistically, at 13 there's more of a chance of me teaching her how to drive a stick shift than seeing her fly, but I did recently waive a laptop or iPad out there as an incentive to taxi, take-off, fly 3 patterns and land. Still no go. Disinterest or just spoiled, time will tell.

Nonetheless she did express an interest in blinging up the latest (and last) purchase of this year. This was the latest version of BH's Sky Surfer. Off all of the similar styles, I've always liked this one the best. The newest version has flaps, a new styles motor mount, better hardware and canopy attachments, and a folding prop. Oh, and it comes with a deans too!

So we worked together to come up with this blinged out hoopty. Hot pink paint from Krylon Shortcuts, some fancy packing tape for the body and wings, and lots of glitter, ribbons, and crystals. Yes, crystals. If we can get some time away from soccer I'll have her on the buddy box before long.

Performance? Eh...let's just say that blink puts a little more weight. Moved to a 1500 and 1800 to get the best balance possible. It doesn't more out nearly as quick as others of the same make/model, but then again those are all stock. It still does more than needed and will make a great trainer and something to use for any guests at the club.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:57 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Beautiful!!! I might need one!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Beautiful!!! I might need one!
Make a donation to a local food bank or Cancer charity of your choice and get a plane like this to me and we'll do it up right.

Got lots of paint and bling.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined May 2013
77 Posts
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
It seems to be much easier to get boys interested in this hobby then those of the opposite sex. Our club has tried numerous ways to get all youngsters involved in this great hobby and for as long as I can remember we have yet to get a girl to sign up. From a completely anecdotal point of view, I'd have to say the younger girls (8-13) that have given it a try tend to fly better than the boys of the same age. Boys want to yank and bank, girls tend to be more interested in slow and sure and steady flight. At most events we hold we try to set aside some time for families and any folks from the viewing area to get some time on a buddy box. We focus on the younger ones as they still remain the biggest growth segment for this hobby.

I've been trying to figure out a way to get my daughter more interested in flying. Realistically, at 13 there's more of a chance of me teaching her how to drive a stick shift than seeing her fly, but I did recently waive a laptop or iPad out there as an incentive to taxi, take-off, fly 3 patterns and land. Still no go. Disinterest or just spoiled, time will tell.

Nonetheless she did express an interest in blinging up the latest (and last) purchase of this year. This was the latest version of BH's Sky Surfer. Off all of the similar styles, I've always liked this one the best. The newest version has flaps, a new styles motor mount, better hardware and canopy attachments, and a folding prop. Oh, and it comes with a deans too!

So we worked together to come up with this blinged out hoopty. Hot pink paint from Krylon Shortcuts, some fancy packing tape for the body and wings, and lots of glitter, ribbons, and crystals. Yes, crystals. If we can get some time away from soccer I'll have her on the buddy box before long.

Performance? Eh...let's just say that blink puts a little more weight. Moved to a 1500 and 1800 to get the best balance possible. It doesn't more out nearly as quick as others of the same make/model, but then again those are all stock. It still does more than needed and will make a great trainer and something to use for any guests at the club.
Tell your daughter I have a pilot who wants to fly her new Barbie bling a ding ding plane...

Couple great buddy box canidates too... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2018382 - I can do a "club discount" if your interested.

Regards,
Taz
MDK_187 is online now Find More Posts by MDK_187
Last edited by MDK_187; Nov 06, 2013 at 01:38 PM.