SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Discussion
Heli Pad Review Series: WL-Toys V911-Pro

Introduction

Inspired by the Nine Eagles Solo Pro, WL-Toys introduced their first V911 in late 2011. It was their first RC helicopter release and it was an instant success. Before long, the V911 is a household name. Since its initial release, the V911 infamous “CORTER” typo and the separating swash plate were fixed. The Rx has gone through many revisions for minor tweaks, and the battery connectors have been changed. Otherwise, the basic V911 design was untouched since its introduction. WL-Toys then shifted their focus to Quadcopters. Despite its huge success, the original V911 is not without flaws. This V911-Pro is a long overdue update and an attempt to fix issues. So, will this updated V911-Pro fix the flaws of the V911 and take over its reign? Read on.

What is in the Package?

The V911-Pro RTF package contains:

• 1x V911-Pro 4CH Fixed Pitch Helicopter
• 1x 2.4GHz Transmitter (Tx)
• 1x USB powered Battery Charger
• 2x 3.7v 150mAh Lipo Batteries
• 2x Spare Main Blades
• 1x Spare Tail Rotor
• 1x Instruction Manual

The V911-Pro BNF package contains:
• 1x V911-Pro 4CH Fixed Pitch Helicopter Only

The V911-Pro BNF + Lipos package contains:
• 1x V911-Pro 4CH Fixed Pitch Helicopter
• 2x 3.7v 200mAh Lipo Batteries

Note: There is a repackaging issue at Banggood, where they crushed the canopy during repackaging. They have been alerted. The problem will be fixed in the future.

First Impressions

Overall, the original V911 was a very nice package. However, misses include the fragile wire-thin skids, flexible frame, glued components, noisy canopy, flybar strikes, bucking horse flights, inability to penetrate wind, hypersensitive yaw, and the nose diving flight characteristics.
At first glance, WL-Toys definitely addressed the frame and skids. The frame is now much stronger, and so are the landing skids. The skids are attached to the frame by 2 screws, so they won’t easily get separated. The canopy is much lighter and more flexible than before.

What’s Carried Over?

Actually, a surprising amount of the original V911 was carried over to the Pro version. Basically, the whole drive train configuration, motor, gear, shaft, anti-rotation guide, collar, swash, mixer, head, rotor, flybar, and tail section are the same as before. As you shall see, the Rx, Gyro, noise, and bucking characteristics are also carried over.

What’s New?

New Canopy

WL-Toys promised a new canopy, and they delivered. The canopy is thin, and light, weighing in just 1.9g. Courtesy of BG’s packing crew, they have already performed a crush test for me that I could skip, LOL. If you are familiar with Walkera’s canopy. I would describe it as very Walkera-like. I think it is a bit stronger than the Blade canopy. I like the original V911 canopy, too. Cracks and breaks are easy to fix. This one is lighter and if you install a LED inside the canopy, it will glow nicely in the dark. As most of you would recall, the original V911 was very noisy. But when you take the canopy off, it is suddenly quite? Somehow the canopy acts as a sound box and amplifies the motor noise. Nothing has changed. The V911 Pro is very noisy out of the box, but if you fly without the canopy, it is quiet.

New Frame

WL-Toys promised a new frame, and they did not disappoint. The new frame is a lot more rigid than the old one. I don’t think that I would need to add any CF cross-members to strengthen it. WL did a very good job here.

New Skids

WL-Toys promised new skids, and again, they did not disappoint. The new skids are much stronger. Yet, they are somewhat flexible. They feel great in the hand. They could be easily bend with your fingers and bounce right back to their original shape. It is an excellent improvement here.

New Tail Boom Housing

The original tail boom housing was weak and loose. So much so that WL decided to glue it at the assembly. Bad decision! It makes replacement next to impossible. The new frame is stronger. And it uses a locking screw to secure the tail boom. They made a huge improvement here.

New Tail Rotor with Prop Guard

The new tail rotor has a much longer hub. When this in stalled on the tail motor, the built in prop guard will prevent the shaft from popping out the motor cap in a bad crash. The picture below shows that the V911-Pro tail rotor (bottom) has a longer hub then the original V911 tail rotor (top).

Rx Board

With a new V911 Pro, you would expect a much more recent Rx board. I was surprise to find Rev 07, released on 2012.08.25. I haven’t purchased a V911 lately. If I am not mistaken, this is the same Rx board used in the current release of V911. Therefore, this is no change in the Rx board, which also means that it is still FlySky compatible.

MEMS Gyro

Without a new Rx design, it also means that the MEMS Gyro was a myth. I see no change in the Gyro design, which in the case of a V911; it is not a death sentence whatsoever.

Tx

Disclaimer: I never had the original V911 Tx, so I could not make the comparison. Based on my observations, I believe that the V911 Pro stock Tx is the same as the old V911 Tx. All the usual controls are where you would expect to find them. A left shoulder button toggles between mode 1 and mode 2. This is WL way of saying low rate and high rate, respectively. It has nothing to do with Mode1 and Mode2 stick configuration. The right shoulder button is a fake. On the upper right hand corner of the LED screen, I noticed that it says 4 CH. I could see a faint “3” to the left of the “4”. I haven’t open up the Tx, but I suspect that it is possible to perform the 3CH mod on this one, if you want to add a right shoulder button. Again, I have only read about the hypersensitive yaw on the original V911 Tx. I read also that people are changing the yaw rate by adding resistors. I must say that the yaw rate on the V911 Pro is very nice. I would not do anything to change it. I also used the Pro Tx to fly my V911, and it yaws nicely as well. Perhaps WL did upgraded the programming of the Tx. On the back of the Tx is a trap door with a charging cable underneath. It still makes the obnoxious beeping sound every time you turn it on.

How does it Fly?

Flybar Strikes

One of the most annoying things about the V911 is the flybar strike. Unfortunately, the V911 Pro is not free from it. Just a very short test flight, and I was being reminded of that clacking sound. The other thing about the flybar is that the weights easy fly off in a crash. So, before you do anything to fly your new V911 Pro, you very first mod ought to be securing the flybar weights. This is a very simple operation. I took two pieces of tape, about the same size, and wrap the weights.

Fast Forward Flight (FFF)

Since by and large, the V911 Pro has not changed the engine, drive train, any mechanical parts, or even the Rx board. Flight characteristics could be expected to be more or less the same as the V911. This is both good and bad. As a lot of people love the way their V911 flies, no news is good news. But it also means that FFF is slow and steady.

Bucking Horse

I don’t know if it was my imagination or the new canopy made it worse. The V911 Pro bucks even more than the original V911. Just flying in a simple circle in my living room, the V911 was nodding the whole way around. It was bucking less after I switched over to my Devo 7E or some reasons. And it definitely bucks a whole lot less after I took off the canopy.

Yaw

I was worried about the yaw rate after reading what people have to do to tame their V911. But there is no problem here. The stock Tx yaws the V911 Pro nicely, about 1 rotation per second going left, and a little bit faster going right. I observed about the same rate using the current settings on my Devo 7E. Of course, I could change it to anything I want. If I care, I could even make it yaw the same rate in both directions.

Wind Penetration

With the same mechanical parts you would expect no change here. Wind penetration is about the same as before. There is no improvement here.

Replacement Parts

At this time, replacement parts for the new V911-Pro are not available. The Parts List below will be updated as soon as the parts are available. In the meantime, some replacement parts for the V911 will work on the V911-Pro.

Where to buy?

Currently, the V911-Pro is available at Banggood.com.

WL-Toys V911-Pro

Pros
• Improved Canopy
• Improved Frame
• Improved Skids
• Improved Yaw Rate
• Improved Tail Rotor with Prop Guard
• Same Stable, Easy to Fly V911 that so many are in love with
• Affordable Pricing

Cons
• Still plagues by Flybar strikes, weak wind penetration and flies like a bucking horse

Summary

The V911 Pro has all the mechanical parts carried over from the original V911, which means that it flies more or less the same as before. In other words, V911 Pro is still an indoor champion. Although WL-Toys missed the hyped MEMS Gyro and the opportunity to fix some of the flying issue, all the improvements that WL-Toys introduced are welcomed ones. For those reasons, V911 Pro scores even a notch higher than the original V911. I would highly recommend this model.

Video
Advanced WLtoys V911-pro V911-V2 RC Helicopter - Banggood.com (1 min 35 sec)

Gallery
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Oct 05, 2013 at 02:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Replacement Parts and Accessories List

V911-Pro Replacement Parts:

V911-Pro BNF

V911-Pro BNF + Lipos

V911-Pro Canopy

V911-Pro Frame

V911-Pro Skids

V911-Pro CF Tail Boom

V911-Pro Blades

Rubber Canopy O-Rings

Canopy and Blades Bundle

Blades and Flybar Bundle

V911-Pro Accessories Bag (Best value)

Other Accessories:

5x 150mAh Lipo

5x 200mAh Lipo

Parallel Charging Cable

FlySky TH9X
Last edited by Heli Pad; Oct 18, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
FAQs

Q: Is the V911 Pro compatible with the old V911 Tx?
A: Yes, the V911 Pro uses the same FlySky protocol. It is compatible with the old Tx and other FlySky compatible radio, such as the TH9X, etc.

Q: Does the Rx hold its bind, or does it need to be rebound every flight?
A: The V911-Pro Rx holds its bind. It doesn't need to be rebound between flights.

Q: Is the V911-Pro canopy interchangeable with the old canopy?
A: Mods are required to make them compatible. See E2's post for explanations.

Q: Is the V911-Pro skids compatible with the older V911 styles?
A: No, the screws of the V9110Pro skids are 37mm apart. The holes of the Y911 frame are 33mm apart.
Last edited by Heli Pad; Oct 12, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Favorite Mods

1. Flybar Weights Mod
2. 3 Channel Mod
Last edited by Heli Pad; Oct 02, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:42 AM
Turkey, Adana Province, Yarımca
Joined Sep 2013
92 Posts
Good review! Looks like with the... Lack of real change, ill be sticking with the old one for a little while longer.
Kirvo85 is offline Find More Posts by Kirvo85
Last edited by Kirvo85; Sep 30, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
FlyBar Mod

This should be the first mod before your V911 Pro takes flight:

Before:

After:

The Flybar weight could easily comes loose and fly away. So, wrap it with tape, or otherwise, secure it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thailand, จ.ประจวบคีรีขันธ์, Hua Hin
Joined Jul 2013
592 Posts
Spare main blades are in stock now
rank is online now Find More Posts by rank
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Thanks, Rank.

Post #2 updated, and will continue to update as more parts starting to show up.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:46 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,193 Posts
Nice review HP! (saves me doing something similar .)

However, I am sad to see that you too received a crushed version (canopy) - this means most likely everyone of the 300+ RTF's that were sent out was packed like this - and this means mine, which I received in the mail today but did not yet open, will most likely be no difference (I wonder if they made a competition and the "packer"" who could prove the LOWEST IQ was assigned to packing the new V911 pro's ...)

Anyway, again - nice review, looking forward to a "lively" thread ...

erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Most likely, E2.

I have Emailed BG and even send them a photo to show how it should be packaged. Basically, the canopy needs to be removed and placed in a separate compartment.

HP
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
802 Posts
Good review!

I had the original V911 with old style batteries.

I never had a flybar strike or the bucking horse flight problem. The only mods I did were tape mod to flybar weights, hot glue to aerial, scotch tape to inner part of canopy.

The original canopy and landing skids never broke. Putting a tissue paper in the canopy worked very well to reduce the noise and vibrations.

The yaw rate was quite manageable at normal rates, also at higher rates provided you knew what to expect, so I never felt the need to do the resistor mod.
Lentar is online now Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
Tidying up the Tx Antenna

As I have found in almost every WL-Toys Tx, the Tx antenna coils up like pig-tail.

The grey part is a shielded coaxial cable. It is not considered as an active antenna. Only the silvery part counts. If it is straighten out, it is a fairly nice ~31mm length.

Therefore, I usually open up the Tx and pulls the coaxial in, so that the antenna is fully extended and not coiled up like a loop. Then you could put the cap back on.

Old Sep 30, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,551 Posts
3 Channel Mod

Just to confirm what I suspected earlier...

While I had the Tx open, I verified that the right shoulder button is a fake button, but the PCB does have a place for you to do the 3 Channel Mod. In case that you are not familiar with the 3 CH Mod, basically, the V911-Pro is a 4 Channel helicopter. But the pilot might just be coming over from a 3 CH experience and would like to fly this like his 3 CH helicopter before, with Throttle on the left stick, and Rudder and Elevator on the right stick (no Aileron).

The two contact points on the PCB, labelled "MODE2" allows you to toggle between 3CH and 4CH. All you need is to solder in a momentary switch.

Ordinary, the V911-Pro Tx looks like this when you turn it on. The LCD display has a blue back light when throttle is up. In the upper right corner, you will find "4 CH".

But if I momentarily connect the 2 pads of the "MODE2", the Tx will beep once, and the display will show "3 CH". The back light would be disabled. When you move the right stick, the cyclic display in the lower part of the LCD would be replaced by the left/right rudder bars just above, and below the helicopter.

Last edited by Heli Pad; Sep 30, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
1,281 Posts
Nice review Heli Pad, I will definitely get the pro in the near future. Can someone please tell WLtoys how to spell "broken" once and for all?? lol
vincent713 is offline Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2013
39 Posts
Very nice write up. Looks like the same V911 with all of the plastic frame structuring improved and a new canopy, but those are very welcome changes! Out of curiosity, have you looked into the weight difference between the old and the new frames? Also, is the canopy compatible between the two models? I am quite fond of the green and black commander scheme until more colors are released in the Pro design.

Will definitely be picking one of these up soon, I have only had my V911 for under a week, and my only real complaints, which I have had since I opened the box, are the flimsy frame and landing skids. Ive already bent one side of the standard skid pretty bad. Speaking of, will the new skid screw on to the old frame?
Jensen567 is offline Find More Posts by Jensen567